Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Halp : Bought a new bike, struggling on insurance...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:30 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Halp : Bought a new bike, struggling on insurance... Reply with quote

Bought one of these little badmanz innit. Pick it up tomorrow!

https://i.imgur.com/qwWJLxi.jpg

However, no fucker has the make / model down.

The only ones who seem to be able to find it are Bike Sure / AXA

I rang them up and they quoted me £399 on the phone, they said with it being so new and cant' find it, "That's all we can do". Had them ring them underwriters back (AXA) a couple times and they, "just can't beat it".

1 hr later, rang them back... £301 now! Funny, I tell him you just beat your own UNBEATABLE price by nearly £100 in 1 hr. He fobs me off with some bullshit that the "variables change all the time" and they must have changed in the 1 hr.

Someone else I know just got a £201 quote from the same people / under writer.

Funny how I can get insurance on a 200 bhp RSV4 RF worth £18k but a 10bhp 125cc worth £2k costs the same?

If I have to pay it, I will pay it but when you know you're being lied to / ripped off, it's fucking infuriating.

Anyone know somewhere that would do a cusomised quote? The bike doesnt' show up on all the company's systems bar Bike Sure that I have tried and I have tried: Adrian Flux / Bikesure / The Bike INsurer / Bennetts / Hastings Direct.

So time consuming, been on the phone for 3.5 hrs today to them and need to sort this first thing in the morning

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the dealership not have a 14day insurance freebie thing?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ignores question* so how do these compare to the MSX? They seem to be a bit more powerful but heavier.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get onto MotoGB, the importer, and ask them why they haven't got it on insurers' lists yet.

https://www.motogb.co.uk/contactus

Amateur hour stuff. Sad

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Does the dealership not have a 14day insurance freebie thing?

Nah, don't think so?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:17 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
*ignores question* so how do these compare to the MSX? They seem to be a bit more powerful but heavier.

You're right but that difference pretty much cancels itself out and ends up being the same as the grom... I just like the styling on these more and it's about £1,000 cheaper @ £2,199 on the road Vs the grom @ £3,200

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:19 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test ridded it? Combined brakes OK?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:29 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Test ridded it? Combined brakes OK?

Not test ridden it... it's such a small cheap bike, can upgrade anything I need to and will probably change the shock, bars, levers at the start anyway.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Combined brakes OK?

I forgot they had herpes Crying or Very sad

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:59 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/zeyeCQ8.jpg

Went with Principal in the end @ £241 fully comp. At this point, I'd spent 4+ hours over yesterday and today talking to insurance company's and I'd had enough of them.

What's the biggest issue with dual linked brakes though? If I pull a wheelie and use the back brake, happy days. I can still do a stoppie...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there smaller bikes that allow independent rear brake control, or is that on high(er) end systems?

BTW that number plate holder thingy needs to be killed with fire Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
What's the biggest issue with dual linked brakes though?

Dunno. The dual system on my Burgman 400 worked very well, but it was gayboi scootay.

Honda's dual ABS has devotees and haters. Given the budget for putting them on 125s (tree fiddy Yuan) I'm genuinely interested in how it performs. I mean, if it does, and the extra brake lines aren't just for novelty purposes only, to mollify Jeanny Brusselscrat. Wink

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/zeyeCQ8.jpg

Went with Principal in the end @ £241 fully comp. At this point, I'd spent 4+ hours over yesterday and today talking to insurance company's and I'd had enough of them.

What's the biggest issue with dual linked brakes though? If I pull a wheelie and use the back brake, happy days. I can still do a stoppie...

How was your first tide on it? Happy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a little ripper. But chill out with the PS filters....

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:39 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Are there smaller bikes that allow independent rear brake control, or is that on high(er) end systems?

What do you mean smaller bikes? The Honda Groms don't have linked brakes. Tail tidy and decat exhaust coming in the next few weeks Smile Also want to go up a couple teeth so it will wheelie easily. It will make it even slower but that's ok as I want to stunt it anyway

Rogerborg wrote:
Jayy wrote:
What's the biggest issue with dual linked brakes though?

Dunno. The dual system on my Burgman 400 worked very well, but it was gayboi scootay.

Honda's dual ABS has devotees and haters. Given the budget for putting them on 125s (tree fiddy Yuan) I'm genuinely interested in how it performs. I mean, if it does, and the extra brake lines aren't just for novelty purposes only, to mollify Jeanny Brusselscrat. Wink

My pal has a 15/16 model R1 (forget which year) and it has linked brakes. He said though, if you pull the front brake it applies both equally but if you then tap the back brake whilst still holding the front, it unlinks them? Pretty sure that's what he was saying...

Tracer1234 wrote:

How was your first tide on it? Happy?

Was grinning ear to ear all the way home. Went out for a few hours the next day and the same thing. Yes it's slow as shit (topped it out at about 64mph) but it's just a funny bike. When I went out with the brother in law on Honda Groms the other week, it was just funny. I know a fair few people with Groms and I intend on turning this in to a little stunt bike.

It is funny though, when I get back from a ride on it, I keep taking the RSV4 straight out just to de-gay myself and remind myself I'm still a man.

winz wrote:
Looks like it could be a little ripper. But chill out with the PS filters....

I don't know why I applied so much HDR to it, it was early in the morning when I did it.

https://i.imgur.com/ZmqV4fl.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, I'd expect the insurance on those to be as much as a sports bike on the basis they will be a theft magnet.

Could you feel the covetous eyes on you as you rode it about?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:06 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In fairness, I'd expect the insurance on those to be as much as a sports bike on the basis they will be a theft magnet.

Could you feel the covetous eyes on you as you rode it about?

It pretty much is at £241, not paying much more on the RSV4 and nah, I live in a pretty nice area, nothing like that but a lot of people laughing and smiling when they see it pull up next to them Laughing Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:36 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have a "mine's smaller" competition with some Grom riders. Wink

It does look like a great laugh. Any chooning options?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
M.C wrote:

What do you mean smaller bikes? The Honda Groms don't have linked brakes.

I think linked brakes are only an option for tiddlers (under the euro 4 bollocks). On bigger bikes it depends on the (ABS) system, Honda's C-ABS doesn't have independent rear brake control, BMW do AFAIK.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1