Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The right bike and seat height!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: The right bike and seat height!? Reply with quote

Hello, i just passed my A2 license and recently got a good offer on a bike - Kawasaki z250sl 2016 (£1995) with less than 2000 miles but not sure if it would be the right bike for me..

It's not close by so cant really go there to try it out or sit on it to see if its the right fit.. I am 6'0 (182cm) 22yrs old and was wondering if it would be too small for me since its seat height is only 30.9 inches (785mm)..

Would i grow out of it fast since its only a 250 or would it be perfect to start on? Only would use it to commute to a place of study which is only a 20min ride and social. Any thoughts, tips would help.. Thanks.

Last edited by Bubuuh on 14:56 - 09 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:50 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been on a 125 for a while? If so it will be be a minor upgrade You will soon be bored. If not it would be good to knock about on for a year or 2.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Have you been on a 125 for a while? If so it will be be a minor upgrade You will soon be bored. If not it would be good to knock about on for a year or 2.

Yeah, i have ridden on a 125.. I only expect to get a bike that fits in an A2 category and ride it for 2 years then upgrade.. as i get my full A license Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are neat little bikes, but I can't speak to the exact ergonomics. Seat height isn't the issue so much as pegs-to-seat, pegs-to-tank, and your leg length. I'd suggest that you shouldn't buy sight-unseen, because it might be marginal.

On power, I would suggest that you consider something bigger. Yes, even though I choose to ride a 250, and even though it would be an ideal commuter.

However, you're on the way up, rather than the way down and the Z250 is way short of what you could be riding on A2, either restricted to 35kW, or "restricted" from 70kW. You'll be missing out on a fair bit of weekend performance.

It looks like Kawasaki only sold about 155 of them before dropping them, so parts are likely to be an issue as well, regardless of any assurances to the contrary.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
They are neat little bikes, but I can't speak to the exact ergonomics. Seat height isn't the issue so much as pegs-to-seat, pegs-to-tank, and your leg length. I'd suggest that you shouldn't buy sight-unseen, because it might be marginal.

On power, I would suggest that you consider something bigger. Yes, even though I choose to ride a 250, and even though it would be an ideal commuter.

However, you're on the way up, rather than the way down and the Z250 is way short of what you could be riding on A2, either restricted to 35kW, or "restricted" from 70kW. You'll be missing out on a fair bit of weekend performance.

It looks like Kawasaki only sold about 155 of them before dropping them, so parts are likely to be an issue as well, regardless of any assurances to the contrary.

Thank you for the information, yeah i looked around for parts for it too just in case and barely could find anything reasonable.. I might look around for something more powerful and get it restricted.. still considering it though since its such a reasonable price for a first self-owned bike. Also considering looking for a Yamaha R3.. little bit more power and seems to be little bit wider and higher.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:20 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: There are many ways to look at this Reply with quote

Firstly trying playing around with this https://cycle-ergo.com as it will give you an idea of sitting and standing positions in each bike which will give you an idea of what's comfortable.

Secondly try and find a local dealer with a few of the bikes you like and try them out.

Check out some mock insurance quotes to see the difference in price between a 250 and a restricted larger bike and also work out the difference in petrol servicing etc . It could add up to a couple of hundred pounds a year.

Finally be honest about what you want to do with the bike, i.e. Will you use it for longer trips, and whether you want the hassle of selling then buying again in a couple of years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: There are many ways to look at this Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Firstly trying playing around with this https://cycle-ergo.com

Sadly it doesn't have the Z250 on it, probably because they've sold so few.

Davemc37 wrote:
whether you want the hassle of selling then buying again in a couple of years.

Good point. Get something 50kW-70kW and 180kg+ (most 600/650 bikes) and you can restrict/"restrict" it for A2 but also use it to do your A tests without having to give any more money to a training scool.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses.. Yeah i will definitely use that site to look around for a bike that seems right for me and will definitely visit a dealership to get the feel of the bikes.

Also good point about being able to use the bike for full license later!

Thank you.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:30 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3 is spot on for me - I'm 5'6" and have stumpy legs, 5'9 boyfriend says it feels like a clown bike. You're maybe better with a big boy bike and restricting it... Sv650, mt-07 etc. Or of you're set on A2 native the KTM 390 was too tall for me so worth a look.

OldRTMan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:01 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could say that if its just a commute the 250 is good, however sometimes its fun to open it up a bit........ Smile

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the restricting work, if i was gonna get a bigger bike.. i can only restrict it to half of the power? Do i only have to have it restricted for the MOT?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power isn't tested at the MOT.

To be riding in accordance with your license, it has to be restricted at any time that you're riding it on the road.

On power the tl;dr version is you can restrict any bike where the manufacturer claimed that it made 70kW or less when new.

Long version:

Technically, you can lop off up to 50% of a bike's original power. So if you restrict a 70kW bike (e.g. FZS600) to 35kW that's fine. If you restrict it to 25kW using one of the pre-2013 kits, that not strictly legal because originally it made more than twice what you've restrict it to. That makes no Goddamn sense, but it's what Brussels said, and we've gone with it.

Power means "net engine power", i.e. the mythical power you would get if you took the gearbox off and measured the power directly at the crank. Again, pointless since what really matters is what hits the road, and a dyno can only guesstimate engine power using some hooky dynomaths.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Power isn't tested at the MOT.

To be riding in accordance with your license, it has to be restricted at any time that you're riding it on the road.

On power the tl;dr version is you can restrict any bike where the manufacturer claimed that it made 70kW or less when new.

Long version:

Technically, you can lop off up to 50% of a bike's original power. So if you restrict a 70kW bike (e.g. FZS600) to 35kW that's fine. If you restrict it to 25kW using one of the pre-2013 kits, that not strictly legal because originally it made more than twice what you've restrict it to. That makes no Goddamn sense, but it's what Brussels said, and we've gone with it.

Power means "net engine power", i.e. the mythical power you would get if you took the gearbox off and measured the power directly at the crank. Again, pointless since what really matters is what hits the road, and a dyno can only guesstimate engine power using some hooky dynomaths.

So if it has to be restricted while riding it on the road.. if i was to be stopped by police, how would they know if it's restricted or not?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubuuh wrote:
So if it has to be restricted while riding it on the road.. if i was to be stopped by police, how would they know if it's restricted or not?

It entirely depends on the copper and the situation.

If they form a reasonable belief that it's not, they can seize it on the spot and very occasionally do so.

There's no guaranteed way to avoid that, since restriction has never been defined in law despite the lies of those selling the kits.

Carry a convincing looking piece of paper saying "Bike is 35kW, honest" and you should be fine. Your insurer might ask for one, if they're one of the few brokers or underwriters that actually ask what kind of licence you have.

I know what you're asking: "Should I bother actually restricting?"

Consider the chances of seeing a copper on the road, being stopped, them knowing the law (or not knowing it in a way that harms you) and being bothered enough to actually seize and dyno the bike.

It's really up to you.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bubuuh wrote:

It entirely depends on the copper and the situation.

If they form a reasonable belief that it's not, they can seize it on the spot and very occasionally do so.

There's no guaranteed way to avoid that, since restriction has never been defined in law despite the lies of those selling the kits.

Carry a convincing looking piece of paper saying "Bike is 35kW, honest" and you should be fine. Your insurer might ask for one, if they're one of the few brokers or underwriters that actually ask what kind of licence you have.

I know what you're asking: "Should I bother actually restricting?"

Consider the chances of seeing a copper on the road, being stopped, them knowing the law (or not knowing it in a way that harms you) and being bothered enough to actually seize and dyno the bike.

It's really up to you.

Thank you for the insight.. very interesting.. and to actually get convincing piece of paper that says bike is 35kW.. you would have to get it restricted at some sort of a dealership or can you just make one up? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubuuh wrote:
can you just make one up? Laughing

Sure, it's just a piece of paper. There's no definition of it, there's no requirement for it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1