Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG125 damaged sump drain hole

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: CG125 damaged sump drain hole Reply with quote

Just bought a ye olde (92) CG for my bro in law to get through his CBT on (he is 17)

Guy we bought the bike from said it had a slight leak from the plug, i looked at it an thought it must just be the washer - it wasnt

drained the sump tonight an found where the sump bolt screws in, there is a chunk of metal missing

so im not getting any sort of seal

any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:48 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guaranteed fix is a new crank case and a whole shed load of engine rebuild.

Bodges?

Anything gloopy wise is gong to have trouble sticking where metal is oily, & I wouldn't want to be doing daft like trying to burn off residue with a blow torch before applying gloop....

I might try a fibre washer and a load of bathroom silicone.. I wouldn't expect it to hold but at least slow oil loss to tolerable level before needing to re-do.

Metal-set, would be a wast, it wouldn't stick, and you'd have devls job flattng it to get a seal to stay.

Lumiweld would be the next best thing; but back to the blow torch, and hassle making seal suface.. can be 'cast' around steel plug threads though so might be worth a try, but I'd probably want the motor out and USD to tackle... and ponder whether be as sure and easy to hack the thing to bits..... of just ditch it and chuck in a Chinky lump from a MOT fail!

Back to top? I'd proably dran the oil; fluch with some paradin, clean up offeding area as est as; wop the lug in all but three turns, leave to drip, clean with thinners; get the mastic gun round it; leave to cure for a couple of hours; tighten plug up to a bit over finger-tight, if it felt like would take it; clean area with thinners, wop more mastic over and around, and HFTB... aint going to get worse, worst cas plug drops oils lost motor siezes, you are back to top and a rebuild with new cases of woping in a chinky take away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBweld would stick to that no problem.

Seeing as you have plenty of thread, PTFE plumbers tape might seal it up pretty well for as long as you need until you can get a new case or a permanent repair.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:48 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Degrease. JB weld. Fit plug with a dowty (bonded seal) washer instead of the usual compression job.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Seeing as you have plenty of thread, PTFE plumbers tape might seal it up pretty well for as long as you need until you can get a new case or a permanent repair.
In a similar vein, a good coating of thread lock on the drain plug may well seal it up, at least it's cheap and zero risk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show us a picture of the casing, I'll see if I have one in stock Cool

Triumph1300
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean thoroughly, araldite, or jb weld to build it up, sand back, fibre washer to seal it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1