Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another what bike thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Another what bike thread Reply with quote

Yes sorry, apologise for yet another "what bike thread", but hopefully this is sufficiently different to the other one running at present

My biggest problem is that i don't really know "bikes" very well, so don't really know what i'm looking for

So lets start at the beginning with a list of wants

Something around the 600cc mark (will hopefully have a full licence in the next few weeks)
Something with a more upright riding position than a sports bike (slightly iffy back, and prefer to have good vision being new to riding)
Naked ideally, i much prefer the naked look, plus less to fix if i do happen to drop it
4 cylinder, but open to options on this, the only 2 bike bikes i have ridden are a Kawasaki ER6N (parrellel twin i believe) and a 600 Fazer, this was during my first day of DAS training, and i much preferred the Fazers power delivery (seems smoother than the twin), i have now ridden the Fazer half a dozen times or so and feel quite comfortable on it

So with that in mind, and a budget of around £1500, what options are out there

And also, am i right in assuming that anything fully fared will have a low down/leaning forward riding position

My shortlist so far is as follows

Yamaha 600 Fazer/FZS600
Honda Hornet 600/CBF600
Suzuki Bandit 600

Am i missing any other obvious bikes?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Another what bike thread Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
And also, am i right in assuming that anything fully fared will have a low down/leaning forward riding position

The ER6F and GSX650F are an ER6N and a Bandit 650 respectively, wearing pretty frocks.

Curious question though, since you prefer naked.

Your list is pretty good, and you can only buy bikes that are for sale rather than theoretical exotica.

Bandit 650s are starting to drop into that price range now, although you're adding a fair amount of weight over the 600.

You could keep an eye open for a Kawasaki Z750 as well, but they seem to be going for surprisingly high bids at the moment.

Sadly, Street Triples still aren't down to your budget yet, but you may just be able to scoop a Speed Four.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason i ask about fully fared bikes, is am i discounting something that could fit my bill (upright, 600ish), albeit at the expense of not buying a naked bike

I have discounted them more on the basis of riding position, but the added bonus of less to fix/repair if i do bin it

And yes you are quite right, i don't want rare/random suggestions that are harder to find then hens teeth, but as i don't know a great deal about what bikes are what, i was just hoping to expand my search criteria

I'm more used to buying 2nd hand cars, where generally there are loads of examples about, slight different beast buying used bikes as there just aren't the numbers out there (that i am used to anyway)

Also, am i right in my thinking that a 4 cylinder will have smoother power delivery than a twin, as my only experience is on riding one of each, and could be down to being a quirk of the bike itself, rather than the engine configuration

Will certainly add those other 2 to my shortlist, cheers

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:56 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, IL4s are much smootherer. I personally prefer twins, but it is just that - a personal preference. You'll be fine with any of those bikes that you've listed.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sure, IL4s are much smootherer. I personally prefer twins, but it is just that - a personal preference. You'll be fine with any of those bikes that you've listed.

Cheers Rog

Purely out of curiosity, how/where to triples fit in to the mix

As in, are they half way between a twin and inline 4, or a totally different animal altoghter

Again, my only real world engine experience is 20 odd years of driving/working on cars, so i only really know IL4s

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

As in, are they half way between a twin and inline 4, or a totally different animal altoghter

Pretty much in the middle. Wider torque spread, less snatchy, more linear than a twin, but don't rev as hard or as high as a 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Pretty much in the middle. Wider torque spread, less snatchy, more linear than a twin, but don't rev as hard or as high as a 4.

Cheers for that, i'm still learning, and trying to get my head around all the different engine configurations and bike styles

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Cheers for that, i'm still learning, and trying to get my head around all the different engine configurations and bike styles

It's always worth trying out different styles - you won't know what you like until you do. More specifically don't get caught out thinking that you like a 4 and hate a twin because you didn't enjoy the one twin you rode before you had any experience - I did that, ruled them out entirely, and now I'm having more fun on a twin than I've ever had on a 4.

Bikes for moods as Rog' says.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I passed DAS I also knew bugger-all about bikes, so I went to a bike shop, sat on a silver one that felt comfortable and bought it. Turned out to be a 2003 Fazer.
Five years and 48000 miles later I still have the same bike. I too have a bit of an iffy back, bizarrely when my back's playing up badly the only time it doesn't hurt is when I'm on the Fazer. I've generally found the bike to be reliable, cheap and easy to work on and a great all-rounder.

Issues I've had with it are:

Downpipes rot badly at the collector box (where the pipes join under the bike), so look for one with a stainless exhaust or factor it into your budget. Even if it looks perfect the pipes can go from a teeny-weeny pin hole to Swiss cheese in a couple of weeks, I kid you not.

Speedometer suddenly failed because the sender rotor on the front axle disintegrated. Luckily these only cost about £20 and if you're capable of pulling a front wheel off then you're capable of fixing it yourself.

Front wheel bearing wore out at about 20,000 miles, again cheap to replace but for me anyway it was a 'pay a mechanic' job, but not expensive.

Had to fit new spark plug caps last week, cost £12 and took five minutes per plug.

All in all not bad for an old bike with a ton of mileage dumped on it in a short time.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brilliant for checking out riding positions https://cycle-ergo.com/

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One to consider, although it doesn't tick the naked box is the YZF600R Thundercat.

Are you a woman or a man? (or alternatively a short weak man). I ask because the cat is quite lardy when pedalling, and may be difficult if you're reversing through a small gate etc. Other than that, it's a soft sports bike, and is quite upright and not hard on the wrists. For an IL4, the engine feels like it pulls more easily than the fazer (also an IL4) and street triple at lower revs. When moving it's stable at speed, but will turn in easily and predictably more like the fazer than an all out sportsbike like my old gixxer.

having ridden all your other choices, except for the bandit (which was the bandit 400) I preferred the Thundercat, followed quite closely by the fazer. The extra torque (at least perceived) and the protective fairing made it a great all round bike that could hoon-it, or be a relaxed and comfortable commuter.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on el_osos' comment. The Haynes manual describes the Thundercat as Yamahas' attempt to provide a supersports you can live with, and the Fazer as a Thundercat you can live with. The two bikes are quite similar mechanically.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
One to consider, although it doesn't tick the naked box is the YZF600R Thundercat.

It doesn't tick the upright box either, so why are you suggesting it?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't make a "bad" choice with any of the aforementioned 600's, as long as you end up with a nice clean bike which has been well maintained, and have not paid over the odds for it.

Your main concern should be refraining from buying the first thing you see, and making sure you check the bike and it's history out thoroughly. If you pay over the odds for a clean bike then it's not too bad, you can always change bikes and stand to not lose much if you advertise in the right way.

The worst scenario is if you buy a bike with many or recurring problems, and you've paid top dollar for it. Then it really gets you down and you may have to spend £££s on it, or lose a great deal by selling cheap.

So, priority for me would be:

Sit on as many different bikes as you can and try to get a test ride (sometimes difficult).
Don't rule out larger bikes unless you know they will be uninsurable.
Buy a clean, close to standard example if you can. Don't fret too much if they are not on the unofficial "good first bike" list.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

It's always worth trying out different styles - you won't know what you like until you do. More specifically don't get caught out thinking that you like a 4 and hate a twin because you didn't enjoy the one twin you rode before you had any experience - I did that, ruled them out entirely, and now I'm having more fun on a twin than I've ever had on a 4.

Bikes for moods as Rog' says.

Oh definitely, and i am fully aware my brief excursions on a twin and IN4 are just that, brief, but being a novice rider on a big bike i would much rather stick with what i know/like for the time being

But that's not to say that in the future i will prefer a diferent type of engine/bike

And cheers everyone else for your suggestions

And yes, i have seen that ergo site, but knowing next to nothing about bikes i was finding it tricky picking bikes as i don't know what's what

And i am a bloke, 5'11" 13ish stone

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a bike shop and try some for size. My local shop was very helpful, the bloke held bikes upright wile I sat on them so I could get a feel for the real riding position.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bandit and CBF600 are slightly heavier, closer to 220kg than the ~200 of the Fazer and Hornet. It makes a difference IMO.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
el_oso wrote:

It doesn't tick the upright box either, so why are you suggesting it?

Because it's not as hunched over as the 'supersport' writing on the side would lead you to believe.

Being a youngster I maybe less susceptible to noticing the differences in uprightness. I'm just simply stating that the thundercat felt damn close to the fazer in terms of seating position, especially when compared it to the GSXR1000.

The original question was other bikes you should consider. I still think the thundercat is one to consider albeit however brief that consideration maybe.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/yamahayzf600r.jpg

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers el_oso, i will certainly look into the Thundercat if that image is anything to go by, does look much more upright than most supersports

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The Bandit and CBF600 are slightly heavier, closer to 220kg than the ~200 of the Fazer and Hornet. It makes a difference IMO.

Now i'm getting confused again, i thought the CBF600 was the Hornet

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth sitting on one to see.

For my uses it was the most suitable bike. Did a fair amount of motorway travelling on it, so the fairing did make a huge difference. Also did a lot of city centre commuting and a few spirited rides. So a very good all rounder. Cheap too.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
No. The Hornet is the CB600F and makes close to 100bhp.

The CBF600 makes about 76BHP (MCN data) and is generally regarded as a dull commuter.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
No. The Hornet is the CB600F and makes close to 100bhp.

The CBF600 makes about 76BHP (MCN data) and is generally regarded as a dull commuter.

Ahh, potentially dodged a bullet there then, will definitely be looking for the CF600F Hornet then

But why would they make the names so damn close

Also, i'm sure i have seen listings for CBF600 Hornets

Case in point, so what exactly is that one below then?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBF600-Hornet-599cc-/202014602268?hash=item2f0902341c:g:yvcAAOSw6KVZifNf

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a hornet

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
get a hornet

To be fair, the Hornet is the top of my list from what i have read up on so far (well, until i read about the Triumph Speed Four, but i think that will be out of budget), but seem to be far fewer about then the competition, and a little higher priced too
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2