Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance Question re Mileage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Insurance Question re Mileage Reply with quote

When taking out a new policy they usually ask how many miles you're expecting to cover for that year.

I understand why they would ask for that information, assuming more mileage means more time on the road therefore higher risk of kitten deaths. But what bearing does this have if/when making a claim? Can being over declared mileage be used to avoid a payout in any way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My clocks broke, I had to buy a used set from a breakers"

I would suggest having a close look at your policy though.
I've yet to have a policy that states something along the lines of:-
"The policy will become null and void should the vehicle mileage exceed the value declared at time of accepting cover""

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, having had 3 insurance payouts in the past and never being asked about mileage I would have thought it's redundant information. But then why ask for it in the first place? I mean, if it's to hike up the premium for reasons I mentioned then everyone will just state a lower amount right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:53 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question re Mileage Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
assuming more mileage means more time on the road therefore higher risk of kitten deaths.

Don't make any assumptions.

It's all just based on a big table of statistics of who costs them what so play around with your annual mileage and see what it does to the quote.

As for over declared mileage, I don't think any such thing exists, I mean next weekend you could decide to go to John o' Groats and back which would be about 1300 miles. Wink

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely the less miles you do the higher the premium.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
More likely the less miles you do the higher the premium.

Nopes.

My last quote from 2 months ago.

5000+ miles = £400
1000 miles - £250

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question re Mileage Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Don't make any assumptions.

Echoed. I've had quotes that went both down and up (a small bit) when I put in 1000 miles. Not universally, and I haven't tried putting in 5 figure mileages. Spin the random wheel-o-premium.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit concerned about mis-declaring in the event of a claim. Even if it was checked, the worst that's likely to happen is that you'll be asked for the difference in policy cost, not that the claim will be rejected.

After all, it's only an estimate - you can't give a wrong answer for a fact that doesn't exist yet.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to say that of the x thousand miles your bike did last year that you did all of them? You could have loaned your bike to a chum or two who used it and stuck a metric fuck tonne of miles (kilometres I suppose if it's the metric measurement!) on it for you?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always put 5k down. No insurer has ever asked me what the mileage on my bike is before, during or after a policy.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 35,000 miles per year declared, with business use too. I actually expect about 20-25,000 on the big bike, but found it made absolutely zero difference cranking it up, so left it at the level I got bored trying on. I suspect that some underwriters have a random number generator that prefers low mileage, others simply don't care.

FWIW, that gives a fully comp premium of £175 on the Pan 1300.

If the insurance company really cared, then on an older bike they could check annual mileage on the MOT record.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:37 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'i do a lot of trackdays' is my response.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cheapest quotes came through when I said I estimate this years mileage to be 20K+

I then tried all of the different mileage options, and it goes up and down like a yoyo, with no rhyme or reason.

as someone said above - random number generator used by lazy scvm vermin insurance companies. Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
next renewal I'll be sure to play the game

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
as someone said above - random number generator used by lazy scvm vermin insurance companies. Thumbs Up

But on the other hand, it makes it easy to get the price down by spending a few minutes playing around with the variables.

My house insurance is slightly cheaper if I tell them I have no smoke alarms rather one or two smoke alarms and it's cheaper if I tell them there's a tree taller than 2 meters within five meters of the house.

Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1