Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Naked upright bike for tall people? Disappointing test ride.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Naked upright bike for tall people? Disappointing test ride. Reply with quote

I've just had a test ride of a Z900 after finally deciding a naked upright is where I want to go with my next bike. I was thinking Street Triple, MT10, Z900 etc.

I am 6ft 3 and after 20 minutes on the Z900 my right leg was aching and my plums were uncomfortable!

I put this down to my height and long leg length. I'm yet to try the Street Triple and MT10, but I'm wondering if they will all be similar (proof will be in the test rides!). But I was wondering if anybody who is a similar height to me has found a naked upright that suits a taller long legged rider?

Last edited by MilesH on 15:31 - 12 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cycle-ergo.com/

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Naked upright bike for tall people? Disappointing test r Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:

I But I was wondering if anybody who is a similar height to me has found a naked upright that suits a taller long legged rider?

BMW Sertao.

Shame it was so badly made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt09 would suit tall rider, I'm 6ft and can only tippy toe on one foot. Can only flat foot both sides when theres a pillion on the back.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:32 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ft 3 inch
Yamaha xj6 n
No issues for me at all

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
https://cycle-ergo.com/

every time

https://i.imgur.com/ev5i83v.png

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'3"ish on a Street Triple.
It's not an armchair so things ache but only after a few hours or so.
In its defence, I am an unfit, overweight slob nearing 50.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

Adamantis
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big Aprilias (is the Tuono the nekkid one?)
At 6ft I found the Mille like a big comfy armchair with loads of legroom. If you are happy with a v-twin, might be worth a test?
Rides: '91 CG125 (Sold), '00 CB500S (Sold), '97 Thundercat (Sold), '99 KTM EXC 300 (SOLD), '99 RSV Mille (stolen. Thieving SCUM!!!), '94 DR350 (sold), '10 Vstrom 650 (hated it so much I gave up riding), now on the OH's CBF1000 until I can afford another Mille...

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Hopefully it was just the seating position and angle of my legs on the Z900.

Looking on cycle-ergo.com my T reg Bandit 600 seat is actually an inch shorter from the ground than the Z900 and I can happily sit on the Bandit for 2 hours without any issues. So maybe it was just the angle of the seat and the angle of my legs on the Z900.

Street Triple and MT10 test rides next week so will see how I get on.....

I've not considered the XJ6N, will take a look, thanks.

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamantis wrote:
One of the big Aprilias (is the Tuono the nekkid one?)
At 6ft I found the Mille like a big comfy armchair with loads of legroom. If you are happy with a v-twin, might be worth a test?

The Aprillia Tuono and Shiver were both on my original list. I'd forgotten I'd written them down!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer would suit. I found the MT10 comfortable at 5'8 but there was space for larger folk IMO. The MT10 was great to ride, tons of torque but I found the tracer more giggle inducing.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mt09 would suit tall rider, I'm 6ft and can only tippy toe on one foot. Can only flat foot both sides when theres a pillion on the back.

Have you changed the shock? I'm only 5'8 and could almost flat foot the mt09 with both feet? Even the tracer I can get the balls of both feet down no problem and I'm only a 30" inseam.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, standard shock. My seat may be a bit higher than the standard mt09 seat though being the Sport Tracker variant. Question
I'm not a particularly heavy set guy, maybe that's it? I have no problem with flat footing when I have a pillion on.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT-10 has more leg room than the Street Triple and way more than the Speed Triple R which sent my arse and right knee numb after half an hour Laughing I have a 33" inseam at 5'10'' btw

And the comfort seat adds about another inch of leg room, I might get one just for long rides bit the standard seat is fine for a 300 mile day, it's not the most frugal bike so you get a break quite often at fuel stops (80-120 miles to reserve depending on the fun factor).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

990 SMT - upright and roomy.

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
The MT-10 has more leg room than the Street Triple and way more than the Speed Triple R which sent my arse and right knee numb after half an hour Laughing I have a 33" inseam at 5'10'' btw

And the comfort seat adds about another inch of leg room, I might get one just for long rides bit the standard seat is fine for a 300 mile day, it's not the most frugal bike so you get a break quite often at fuel stops (80-120 miles to reserve depending on the fun factor).

I've just looked up the price for the comfort seat on the MT10......£246 ouch!!

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:47 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want an adventure bike to me!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

A quick look gives a seat height of 815mm for standard and 850 for the spacker so might well be enough to make the difference!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K rode z900 and found it a stretch to the bars. She's not as tall as you, but also found striple too sporty. Cb1000r was a good fit. (Mt10 looks too knocked up and thrown together) would love either in the garage!

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:

This, the adventure bikes have a more relaxed leg angle for lankier/older/fatter/cripplier types with bad knees.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:01 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
biker7 wrote:

This, the adventure bikes have a more relaxed leg angle for lankier/older/fatter/cripplier types with bad knees.

Sounds perfect for 6'3". I must admit tall people look a bit wrong on small bikes. Tracer or VStrom would be my suggestions.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Shiver, 6' 4" here; although technically the Dorsoduro is the naked but it's got a tiny tiny fuel tank so only if you like petrol stations.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiver is a great, overlooked bike. Just don't believe the maps. (Unless they've redone them since 2013). Could be in the pops and crackles post too!

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:02 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought a V-Strom and at 5'10" with short legs just manage to get 2 toes on the ground. Might be ideal for taller rider? Probably the comfiest bike I've ever owned.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2