Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Naked upright bike for tall people? Disappointing test ride.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousand or 650 Vstrom

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
Another vote for the Shiver, 6' 4" here; although technically the Dorsoduro is the naked but it's got a tiny tiny fuel tank so only if you like petrol stations.

When you say 'Shiver' do you mean the Aprillia 750 Shiver?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/aprilia/shiver-750/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any big capacity KTM is likely to be comfortable for a tall rider. 1290 Superduke maybe?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:19 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Thousand or 650 Vstrom

Thousand

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:44 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
A quick look gives a seat height of 815mm for standard and

My GS has a seat height of about 770mm.

A standard F800GS is 880mm.

OP would be equally comfortable (or uncomfortable) while riding either.

Can you figure out why?

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peg height relative to the seat is more important than just looking at seat height for comfort.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Winner.

Throw a pad on the seat and raise the bars. Or lower the pegs, if you're being fancy.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Peg height relative to the seat is more important than just looking at seat height for comfort.

^^^^^ this, also how far forward or back are the pegs, half an inch makes a massive difference, on my FJR, seat in lower position, sore hips after an hour, seat in 20mm higher raised position, can ride all day, I also added a MV handlebar riser to the FJR, raises the bars 20mm and back a little, bought it more though for changing the horizontal angle of the bars.

Buy the bike that gives you the biggest grin, then modify the bars/seat/pegs to get it to fit you.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what I was alluding to by saying that the comfort seat being thicker would give more leg room and comfort.

The Speed Triple has the same seat height but the pegs are higher so I couldn't ride it for long.
Both that and the MT-10 are listed as 825mm seat height, the Speedy will have more lean angle on track but that's not as much use on the road as comfort to cover more than 50 miles.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree,

I'm 6'2 and the 1250fa is (was) almost comfortable to ride long distances....

Spun the pegs over and it gave me an extra 1.5" (oo-er!)

It made all the difference.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:
defblade wrote:
Another vote for the Shiver, 6' 4" here; although technically the Dorsoduro is the naked but it's got a tiny tiny fuel tank so only if you like petrol stations.

When you say 'Shiver' do you mean the Aprillia 750 Shiver?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/aprilia/shiver-750/

Yes, the 750. They've just released a 900cc update, sounds like a "better" but less characterful machine, but I've not tried one.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:17 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 6'2" and ride a Gsxs1000 comfortably. Thumbs Up

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6 3 and recently did the rounds with some of the bikes you mentioned. I found the MT10 really comfy S1000R similarly so, ended up with a DVT multistrada of all things. I found the throttle on the MT10 in sport mode was brutal in a not good way and the S1000R was capable but a bit dull.

The multi on the other hand, might not be the quickest on paper but it feels really quick and I love the way it makes its power, the sound on the standard cans.

Forums are great but you need to go out and test ride and see what floats your boat.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the MT-10 was made with comfort in mind ... was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:44 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I guess there's a margin somewhere between built to be comfortable and not uncomfortable?

A sportsbike is built to be quick and the riding position is conformant to that. so comfort is not the main reason for the seating position. Whereas the MT-10 is built to be quick and comfortable so the riding position is a compromise on speed and a compromise on comfort but should still be more comfortable than a sportsbike.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:06 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I just dont think the MT10 was built at all it looks like its been flung together and whatever stuck, stayed Shocked

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been for a test ride on a 2010 750 Shiver.

On a positive the seating position was great and I felt instantly comfy and well placed on the bike with a good leg position which was really encouraging.

But I was really underwhelmed with the engine. I currently have an old T reg 600 Bandit so nothing fancy, but to me the engine felt gutless at the top and although it had decent torque low down it just seemed to run out of puff. Also second gear was that long that you can do anywhere from pretty much a stand still to 70 mph which took a bit of getting used to.

This was a GT 750 Shiver but I assume the engines are the same in both this and the naked? I had it in touring mode, when I put it to race mode it picked up a bit but the throttle was very sharp and on a bumpy surface it felt uneasy to keep it smooth.

I really wanted to like it as the seating position felt great but i don't think I could live with the engine.

Oh and my arse became really hot from the exhaust - although this could be seen as a positive in the winter Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:

On a positive the seating position was great and I felt instantly comfy and well placed on the bike with a good leg position which was really encouraging.

But I was really underwhelmed with the engine.

Exactly my experience with it and the reason I didn't buy one and thought I was against V twins. But the KTM 990 is different beast. Try one.

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MilesH wrote:

But I was really underwhelmed with the engine.

Exactly my experience with it and the reason I didn't buy one and thought I was against V twins. But the KTM 990 is different beast. Try one.

Will do, thanks

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new r9t scrambler but in the real world probably a v-storm. Or the older air cooled Triumph scrambler

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Suzuki GSX S-750. Got a great deal on an ex-demo.

Was previously looking at Street Triple RS. The GSX S1000 is also a another option for you.

There was nearly £4k difference between the 750 I bought and the Street Triple. I couldn't justify the cash spend on the Triumph after a test ride on the GSX. I can't take anything away from the Triumph though, a great bike.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/suzuki/suzuki-gsx-s750---old-school-tech-for-the-win

Last edited by F1.ash on 11:07 - 20 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:00 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:

But I was really underwhelmed with the engine. I currently have an old T reg 600 Bandit so nothing fancy, but to me the engine felt gutless at the top and although it had decent torque low down it just seemed to run out of puff. Also second gear was that long that you can do anywhere from pretty much a stand still to 70 mph which took a bit of getting used to.

This was a GT 750 Shiver but I assume the engines are the same in both this and the naked? I had it in touring mode, when I put it to race mode it picked up a bit but the throttle was very sharp and on a bumpy surface it felt uneasy to keep it smooth.

I really wanted to like it as the seating position felt great but i don't think I could live with the engine.

Oh and my arse became really hot from the exhaust - although this could be seen as a positive in the winter Smile

Some also report that after time in the saddle your clothing will have taken the smell of exhaust fumes.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

It's not just peg-to-seat height either. If you move the pegs forward in relation to where your bum contacts the seat, that will also give you more leg room. So a seat that allows you to vary your position on it will make a difference to how comfortable a bike is. On mine, I'll sit further forward with toes on the pegs when I'm riding a fast winding road. Then, when I have to do a long motorway stint, I shift further back on the seat and move my feet forward on the pegs. So a bike that holds you in one position will generally seem less comfortable than one that gives scope to adjust, even if the seat-to-peg height is the same on both bikes.

/real world considerations.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2