Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre Choices....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Tyre Choices.... Reply with quote

I know this is a n00b question but it wasn't really that relevant to me when I was tanking round on the 125...

My 92 CBR600F is starting to get horribly squared off tyres from what I would consider to be a fairly daft amount of motorway riding (getting on for 1000 miles of motorway over the last 2 weeks)

Its getting to the point where its causing me problems, so they need changing.

Currently has Pirelli Angels on which are OK but they seem to wear excessively with my riding style so any suggestions for tyres that are reasonably grippy but aren't going to wear down quite so quickly with long runs?

I'm thinking Dual Compound is the way to go? Problem is that looking on oponeo doesn't really give me any clue...

so, thoughts and suggestions for tyres to look at?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:39 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3. Guy I used to ride with had 15k from a PR2 rear and then went on to the 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Michelin Right? (And PR being Pilot Road?)

Whats the difference between PR2, PR3 and PR4?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
...Whats the difference between PR2, PR3 and PR4?

about an extra £30 each
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
They are Michelin Right? (And PR being Pilot Road?)

Whats the difference between PR2, PR3 and PR4?

Yes.

Im on PR4s now and doing 112 motorway miles a day. I cant comment on the differences between 2, 3 and 4. But the 4s are probably twice if not 3 times better at not squaring off than my Bridgestones I had before. close to 8000 miles now and they are probably getting towards un-manageable...

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR4 is the newest, then PR3, then PR2.

The PR4 is supposed to last a bit longer than the PR3, with no notable loss in traction (wet or dry). They are a bit pricier though, and my rear PR3 lasted me just under 10k miles. A lot of those miles have been motorway.
From what I've read, other than getting more miles, they aren't really any better than the PR3.
The PR3 however is supposed to be an overall improvement on the PR2.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
PR4 is the newest, then PR3, then PR2.

The PR4 is supposed to last a bit longer than the PR3, with no notable loss in traction (wet or dry). They are a bit pricier though, and my rear PR3 lasted me just under 10k miles. A lot of those miles have been motorway.
From what I've read, other than getting more miles, they aren't really any better than the PR3.
The PR3 however is supposed to be an overall improvement on the PR2.

Good to know! Smile I dont like to scrimp on tyres so always buy the most "recent" evolution of whatever tyre it is. If theres anything we SHOULD be splurging on - its tyres! Smile

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Good to know! Smile I dont like to scrimp on tyres so always buy the most "recent" evolution of whatever tyre it is. If theres anything we SHOULD be splurging on - its tyres! Smile

Never scrimp on anything that separates you from the ground, be it shoes, tyres or parachutes Laughing

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:26 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what part of the country you are in but Michelin are doing a deal on pr4 at Arnold's 15 quid a tyre off if you have a pair I think runs till end of September so you get pr4 at pr3 prices Very Happy
That's what I'm going for on my xj

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted PR3s to the FJ1200 before setting off around Europe last year and after 3000 miles of 'spirited riding,particularly around the Alps,there was negligible wear on either front or rear,respite being laden down with top box,panniers and a passenger.
This year we rode 2300 miles around France on the same setup and I would say that there is still substantial life left in them Thumbs Up

I also have them fitted to my Exup1000 and to the rear of my R1 Thumbs Up Top marks all the way Very Happy

Ps. OPONEO still sell PR3s by the bucketload and cheaper than on eblag.

Pps. I fit and balance my own tyres Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezybiker wrote:
I don't know what part of the country you are in but Michelin are doing a deal on pr4 at Arnold's 15 quid a tyre off if you have a pair I think runs till end of September so you get pr4 at pr3 prices Very Happy
That's what I'm going for on my xj

Just ordered my rear PR4 from mototyres - 126.00

Have I made a mistake Sad

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:56 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am paying 280 for Fron and rear fitted and then I apply to Michelin and get 30 back on a card which I can use at garages etc
I don't know whether it's available at other dealers. This is for PR4's

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very recently bought a CBF500, and it came with a bald front tyre.

I asked around about tyres, and everyone recommended the Bridgestone Battlax BT023.

It only went on today, so can't say much really, but as I said a few people mentioned it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the BT023s are good tyres. The T30 replaced them a few years ago but whether the newer model is worth the extra money is questionable.

The Avon Storm 2 Ultras are also very good in my opinion.

Currently got a set of PR4s I got part worn for £100 from Russ' Motorcycle Tyres in Portsmouth.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
Yeah the BT023s are good tyres. The T30 replaced them a few years ago but whether the newer model is worth the extra money is questionable.

The Avon Storm 2 Ultras are also very good in my opinion.

Currently got a set of PR4s I got part worn for £100 from Russ' Motorcycle Tyres in Portsmouth.

I had BT23s and then BT30s on the bandit for motorway miles and they were shocking. Sad can't comment on twistys but definitely wouldn't recommend them for a commuter. Lasted about 2.5k miles Sad

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the weather is warm Id recommend racetec front. Will transform how an old cbr6 feels and last about 6-7k. 30 quid delivered on ebay for an almost new scrub, it wears well and Im doing a lot of motorway, not much spare time for the twistys any more Crying or Very sad Rears are the wrong profile and a waste on the road, so use a PR4 or roadtec instead.

PR4 are excellent, possibly the best winter tires, if that relevant. When its -6c and I want to blast to work at 100000mph this is what Ill be using. I have not tried the roadtec in winter but I doubt it will be as good as a pr4 on the front.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1