Ybr exhsust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Benyamahoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:44 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Ybr exhsust Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to change the exhaust system on my ybr, 1 bc the standard one is rusty as shit and 2 because I fancy something that makes it just a little louder. I'v been looking at the Leo Vince corsa gp, just wanted to ask if anyone has bought one of these and would recommend getting one or if other people have had something similar.

Thanks
Ben

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leo Vince is pretty much an open pipe. You'll look a prize spakka, and you'll very likely get tugged for it.

Get a lextek downpipe, and one of these....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-38mm-Motorcycle-Carbon-Fiber-Exhaust-Muffler-w-Removable-Silencer-UK-/152449349630?hash=item237eb077fe:g:-U4AAOSwnK9ZOgM8

Pay a welder for 2 mins to tack some spring lugs on the downpipe if it doesn't have any. Plenty loud enough, and will save you a fair bit of money over that tat you posted.

Benyamahoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

When I come to change the exhaust there is a small rubber pipe that comes down and connects into the top of the exhaust pipe. I haven't a clue what it is or what is does as I don't do much mechanical work do you know what thus is?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture says a thousand words.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benyamahoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:20 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This part here on the exhaust

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benyamahoo wrote:
This part here on the exhaust

No picture....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benyamahoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:23 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking thing im trying to attach it but it's not having it at the moment

Benyamahoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:32 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture I took was to large apparently so here's a screen shot of a new system. I'm talking about that small pipe that comes out the top that you can see there

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the exhaust gas recirculation pipe or otherwise known as EGR. Just blank off the rubber hose with a bolt or large ball bearing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:01 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benyamahoo wrote:
bc the standard one is rusty as shit and 2 because I fancy something that makes it just a little louder.

on 1/ If your main concern is how it looks, start with Solvol and elbow grease; if that doesn't make it look good enough, move to wire wool & B&Q BBQ paint.

It's cheap, its easy, it doesn't require spanners, and it solves the problem.

on 2/ If you are more concerned about gaining the attention of the neighbors, and the plod, making your bike sound like something in the death throws of terminal flatulence, whilst actually going into the death throws of piston and valve melting lean-running.. just take a hack-saw the the pipe behind the foot-peg... again, it's cheap, its easy, and it solves your suggested problem..... just make sure, if legally required, both L-Plates are present, undamaged and legal size; tyres have legal tread on them, and all your lights work properly, etc, so they don't have anything else to grumble about and give your points and fines for after they have stopped you and issues the automotive ASBO.

Take heed... you have an air-cooled 125 economy motorcycle... it will NEVER sound 'beefy'..... it's a question of harmonics and displacement... with such a small cylinder, it just doesn't shift enough gas to make that sort of noise, whilst the engines valve timing isn't wild enough to give it a raucous over-tone... ALL you will accomplish effing about with the pipe, is to make it sound like a fart in a colander... just a louder one.... and no-one but you will appreciate it, and eve your opinion is likely to diminish after achieving it....

Benyamahoo wrote:
When I come to change the exhaust there is a small rubber pipe that comes down and connects into the top of the exhaust pipe. I haven't a clue what it is or what is does as I don't do much mechanical work do you know what thus is?

It is likely the EGR plumbing.... and this suggests even MORE good reasons, you will undoubtedly ignore, to leave the effing thing alone, bar perhaps cleaning and or painting...

EGR is cheap trick to help get an old design air cooled engine through more stringent modern emmissions regs... basically it feeds exhaust gas back into the air-box for a second pass through the engine, to get a second bite at the cherry as far as any un-burned or partially burned gasses....

Vehicles fitted with this sort of swizz, have usually been de-tuned enormously to get them close enough to the emmissions limits this makes any difference, AND they will usually have been 'lean-jetted' to the absolute max, along the way... and if this is techno-jibberish, then yet more reason to not be so eager with the spanners and ill-conceived exhaust mods...

However... engines burn petrol in the cylinder; to burn that petrol needs air; the carburetor mixes petrol and air to make a 'charge' that will bur in the cylinder; too much petrol for the air going in, the mixture will be 'rich', it wont all get burned and the engine wont make all the power it should, and your miles per gallon is bad, but other wise, little damage will be done, the 'choke' does this to help the bike start. On the other hand, too little petrol for the air going in, the mixture is 'lean'; now you have more than an enough air for the petrol to burn, and you actually risk it 'detonating' or 'knocking' which is catching fire before the spark plug lights it. This is slightly more dire than running rich; the engine tends to run hot, which makes detonation even more likely, and with it running hot, ad having an excess of oxygen in the cylinder, when the metal, usually the crown of the piston or the rm of the valves starts getting very hot, the semi-molten metal gets oxidised and starts to fall apart... its sort of the same principle as an oxy-ascetalene torchs, where the flame doesn't actually do the cutting, that just gets the metal hot; a stream of neat oxygen turns the hot metal very very quickly into 'rust' usually, and blows it away..... So, running 'lean' tends NOT to be good for engines....

1/ manufacturers effing about trying to meet emmissions regs, first and easiest course of action s to lean of the carburation as much as they dare, 'lean-jetting' them... less goes in,less comes out to effup the analyss of what comes out sort of logc.

2/ effing about with exhausts, making them louder and 'free-flowing' has the little niggle of making engines tend to run 'lean'... this can then see them start to pop and crackle, over-heat, misfire and depending on lean they are jetted to start, and anything with an EGR will be jetted pretty bludy lean to start with..... melt pistons and burn out valves....

So, you have an engine lean etted near to the point of garanteed self destruction by the manufaturer to get through emmissions... and you think that putting a oisy pipe likely to make it run even leaner, is a good plan?

A-N-D... you dont know what the rubber pipe is, and don't do much mechanics, and, I have to asume, not an awful lot of know-how about engine or vehicle design or modification....

And you would LIKE us to tell you this is a fantastic idea, and what make pipe to buy off e-bay, before you come back with another post asking how to drll out sheared exhast studs, and then later, another, asking what might be wrong, when (in your opinion!) it sound great ad ran brilliantly, until one day, it started making horrible noises, refusing to take load and eventually conked out..... will refuse to be told that you have fecked your engine and it needs to be taken apart and rebuilt with lots of expensive new bits, and insist that there 'must' be something you can do to the carburetor, like fit a pod filter...

It is your bke, it is your call... but we have seen this sort of question, and the follow on's time after time after time.... you can learn by your mistakes, or you can learn from other peoples... but learning from other peoples ts a heck of a lot less hassle, and an awful lot cheaper...

So Like I say... .... start by questioning what you actually hope to achieve, and IF you actually have the skill and means to achieve it, and IF making your bike sound like a pregnant cow with wind, to annoy neighbors and make potentially engine killing problems is really the 'best' plan you can come up with.....in the mean time a little time and a little money spent with the solvol, maybe wire wool and possibly BBQ paint... is probably as likely to achieve far more and solve far more and make fewer problems for yourself along the way...

It's your call, but its a YBR... cheap, functional, sensible commuter wheels, enjoy it for what it is.. and take pride in the signs of use it bears, unlike the hordes of garage trophy's that never see rain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got Teff'ed. If you read through that, well, you'll learn not to in future.

That tube, as said, part of the EGR. Blank it off at the airbox with a bit of rubber, the tube just unclips. A bit of innertube ziptied over the inlet works.

The fuel injection takes care of the fuelling, it won't run rich.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut it down and bent the tube over and put a petrol clip over it when I did it so it looked tidy

but that was on a scooter with the same thing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1