Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG - no 'lectrics?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: CG - no 'lectrics? Reply with quote

Working on a Brazilian CG (J?) an nothing electrical works...?

Does the bike need to be running to power lights even if it has a battery fitted?

i have a freshly charged battery (showing as 13v) from my Bandit hooked up to the CG - (tested the battery on my Bandit an it cranks it over etc)

wiring is a mess in the CG - wires twisted together etc. I have sorted all of these and im getting good continuity on earth wires.

all wires are plugged into corresponding colours.

bit stumped
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:25 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: CG - no 'lectrics? Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Does the bike need to be running to power lights even if it has a battery fitted?

Yes... well.. the headlamp and stop lamp....
It's got an AC-Direct lighting circuit, so the headlamp and stop-lamp run direct on unregulated AC... other equipment, eg indies, horn, park/side-light and tail ought to work off the battery alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year CG is it, i have a 2004 CG125ES4 (Brazilian made i believe) and all the electrics work on mine without the engine running (lights, horn etc)

Mine has electric start but no kickstart, and front disc brake

I know mine is wired significantly different to the older models regards the charging circuit as i went though all this with Teff when i had issues with mine running out of electricity

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all, this is a 1991-2 aged bike so ancient compared to your version unfortunately

ok i will sort out the sump an getting it running

ta Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: CG - no 'lectrics? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

Yes... well.. the headlamp and stop lamp....
It's got an AC-Direct lighting circuit, so the headlamp and stop-lamp run direct on unregulated AC... other equipment, eg indies, horn, park/side-light and tail ought to work off the battery alone.

For the 89th time, the lights do not run off AC!!!

Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

If the lighting coils churned out AC the bulbs would last about five seconds.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure is a voltage regulator of some sort. And running the lights of the dynamo is/was pretty common thing back in the day. When I'm gonna get a CZ (there are none worth my money on the market now), I'm putting in batteryless ignition to achive exactly that and to eliminate the need of a battery, of course. I don't ride that often and 99% of my miles are done during broad daylight anyway.

Also, all the bulbs in your home run of the AC, if that's what you suggest is the issue here.

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: CG - no 'lectrics? Reply with quote

The older CGs run the lights directly from a coil on the generator.

They go via a big chunky wire wound resistor hidden behind the Honda badge between the forks, which can be problematic in itself if screws go through it or it starts to rot. (I've seen a couple of cases on forums where screws had gone through it.

If someone has made a complete hash of the loom, it's simple enough that I'd be inclined to rip it out and start fresh, otherwise you'll be forever fixing bodges.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all, still yet to attack it yet

one thing i have found is that some of the wires in the headlight bowl colours arnt matching up to any of the diagrams i have found/ in the Haynes book.

which is a bit of a worry.

if push comes to shove i will have to trace em back, its not like a CG is complicated or anything

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed

There was a broken wire in the loom - the red one, the wire comes from an inline fuse (from battery) then splits where one end goes to the rectifier an the other to the ignition switch, it was broken about 3"away from the switch grr

weirdly the wire had no signs of damage etc

Oh im yet to find any sort of resistor anywhere - should it have one?

looking at this site it doesnt seem to mention a resistor for my bike?

bradh511
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really cummon for a cg 125 of that age to also break or burn on the ingition wires to the barrel

Ive brought two because of it cheap, You should always get indicator and break lights, But no running light like head lights as they run off the lighting coil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1