Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lithium Batteries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:22 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Lithium Batteries Reply with quote

Anybody use one in their bike? I'm probably going to have to replace mine at some point soon and have been reading up on Lithium batteries and how they're lighter, last longer and just have more cranking power. Is it all hype or are they really worth the extra expense?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4057080

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know you could get Lithium batteries for vehicles.
Do they have circuitry built in, smart charging?
Something else with future potential is capacitors, should last much longer than conventional batteries in theory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithium sound good in certain circumstances but good old lead acid from a reputable manufacturer (Yuasa/Motobatt etc) still seems the best all round choice.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:30 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Lithium sound good in certain circumstances but good old lead acid from a reputable manufacturer (Yuasa/Motobatt etc) still seems the best all round choice.

When i was racing karts our spanner man would do his nut if you didn't have a Yuasa fitted.

The only Lithium batteries you could use where the branded Rotax ones at a cost of £200 squids.. But they just disnt pack the same punch as the Yuasa.

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Lithium Batteries Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Anybody use one in their bike?

Yeah I do, in fact I've got about 15kWh of lithium batteries on my bike... Twisted Evil
RjMaan This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Some total loss race bikes use a capacitor to store energy already. They were around when I converted mine to total loss in 2007.

Odd choice for total loss.

Makes more sense for running a charging system - you have low energy density, but high power density, so you can get a big kick easily (starting), but it'll drain it quickly - so fine if the bike starts and then charges.

Most bike lithium batteries are lifepo4 - a 4s is very similar to 6s pb in voltages and they're less explodey too.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running a LiFePO4 for around 9 months no issues, much lighter than the lead acid equivalent. Cranks harder. Wouldn't fit anything else now, my LFE addiction is terminal, positive experience has me converted.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, had a Lithium Batt in my old R1. The bike seemed to eat batteries like sweeties, once i switched to lithium that stopped.

Please bear in mind that you need a special lithium battery charger if you want to charge it away from the bike. otherwise damage

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:13 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:

Please bear in mind that you need a special lithium battery charger if you want to charge it away from the bike. otherwise damage

Not the case.

Otherwise you'd have to disable the charging circuit in the bike and run total loss.

You need to not use a charger which runs a desulfication program I believe - that gives short bursts of high voltage.
A normal basic charger or a smart charger that doesn't do this will be fine.

You can get a a flexible hobby charger for £20 for a mains powered one or £10 or so that will run off a 12v source if you do want a special charger.
And these chargers are useful to have anyway - they give you lots of information and will charge lead acid, ni-mh (rechargeable AA etc) as well as 3 different types of lithium.

Last edited by G on 10:10 - 29 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never needed charging off the bike, even having after the bike sat for 9 months on the drive way in all weathers.

The batteries themselves have low AH ratings, so be aware if you slap on loads of heated gear or whatnot. My one was 4ah, the equivalent model for lead acid is simply to check it has the terminals in the right place and fits the battery holder.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one on mine and its working amazingly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

How amazingly?

Starts your bike when required? Powers the lights?

Fucking amazing, my lead acid cheap as chips does that amazing stuff as well Razz

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

How amazingly?

Starts your bike when required? Powers the lights?

Fucking amazing, my lead acid cheap as chips does that amazing stuff as well Razz

Amazing that I know someone with the same battery they have left there bike sitting in a garage for 3 years. Went over for a visit and it started up first time. The bike was covered in thick dust and had stuff piled around it with thick dust.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't self discharge like lead acid/ni-mh etc. In fact most damage is caused by over discharge past safe voltages (saved by lv circuitry in most commercially available batteries) and storing the batteries fully charged. Around 75% is ideal.

From racing high end electric rc cars we were fiddling with lithium polymer/lithium ion and lithium manganese packs for years. We have EFRA approved hard case armoured lipos the size of phones that can output over 200 amps sustained quite comfortably. And they cost absolutely fuck all. Infact all of these 'mini starting packs' that will cold start a dead transit are just one of these packs with a screen glued to it and a pcb.

Why cars/bikes are still fitted with conventional batteries is a bizarre anachronism to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1