Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZZR600 E Water in strange place

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

skulkerboyo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:14 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: ZZR600 E Water in strange place Reply with quote

Got the ZZR road worthy this weekend.

After a 15 minute ride she was running hot but not into the red. I noticed water dripping from the side of the left carb assembly. Might be cos that's the way she leans on the stand but a leak is a leak.

I'll have time to investigate fully this weekend. She's in use this week cos some sod stole my transalp!

Here's a pic - wondering if anyone might have some insight before I pull the tank and start looking at the top - could it be a dodgy radiator cap? More like to be head gasket?

Pic of wet but attached for what use it is.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your airbox breather pipe.

It will/should have a plastic topper in the end of it.
Pull the stopper out, see how much water comes out.

skulkerboyo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:40 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should any come out?

What does it mean if there's fluid in there?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very doubt it is the coolant. The motorcycle does have the ram air intake system though, so I'd be checking everything is where it should be and that the airbox drainage is not blocked and the hose is atached. No drainage hose (not sure about your model) won't cause any issues really, but could result in what you are experiencing, the water just pissing from the drain onto your carburetors.

Fluid in the airbox?
Let's asume your engine is in a perfect working order, there still can be some water and oil present. Water from the ram air intake system (you can't 100% prevent that and the bike is designed to run with it) and oil from the engine breathers.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have carb heaters, a tap off from the cooling system to each carb. Might well be one of the little hoses leaking, unless someone has done the decent thing and junked them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skulkerboyo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:26 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds good lads.

Suppose there is excessive water in the pipe - what then - what's gone.

I'm suspicious of a leak somewhere anyway. Fresh oil went cappucino pretty quick.

I intend to inspect her fully the weekend. Would prefer not to have to do the head gasket but she went very milky very quickly - know what I'm sayin'

She's been stood for months and ridden mostly by my ex before that so could have had symptoms long ago that I wasn't made aware of. She did have white smoke but that seems to have subsided but still - full investigation needed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1