Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Completely New to Biking and Just Need Advice... (F/18/UK)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Completely New to Biking and Just Need Advice... (F/18/U Reply with quote

NickyG wrote:
Stuff

CBT as soon as possible borrow a twist and go or something - just get it out of the way.

Watch you tube videos of motorcycle crashes due to idiot car drivers - you will then learn how much space you need to give such idiots.

125 for a year to get the experience - then move up depending on how confident you are.

Thumbs Up

Practice practice practice.

Rain is nothing to be scared of, ride all year round - its STILL more enjoyable than being stuck in a car (this depends on you buying the right gear).

Which leads nicely on to : Get all the Gear! Smile Car drivers open the door and sit surrounded by their protection... You have to wear it.

Also.

Pics.

Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:45 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my four-penneth, I'll suggest doing NOTHING bike-wise until after at least Christmas.

Starting Uni is a big leap, and 'free money' is a quick way to get into financial grief, and a motorcycle is an expensive liability and an even quicker route to a couple of months of baked beans on toast suppers, when the grant-cheque runs out......

Plenty who start uni, don't make it past the first two terms; nearly all freshers will be in the same boat, lacking personal transport getting about by Shank's, and making promises until the grant cheque arrives, living it up for three weeks when it does, then making excuses and pleading phone calls home, from then till the end of term.....

With that looming, get that done, dusted, and your early learning of college life out the way, before you heap up the plate with anything else like motorbikes.

A2? Big biggest are a great way to waste money even faster... especially as it will likely beg a £1000 course to get the licence before you begin! 125's at least have the advantage they 'may' be reasonably cheap wheels.... and they do the job.. and they can be as quick as anything, of any other capacity, is legally allowed to go on this country's roads...

It's a daft thing that no-one says to learner-car drivers, "Oh no don't get a 1.1 Fiat Panda, you'll be bored within a month! Soon as you have passed tests you can drive a Ferarri.. THAT'S where its at!" its ridiculous.... and shows more the aspirations and expectations of the typical 'biker' than anything.... but still...

As a cheap way to lectures, a 125 can be a fantastic tool; I ran one for two and a half years of my student days, well beyond gaining my full 'Ride-What-You-Like' licence with the thing (in the days you could!) and being younger, dumber and rather a lot numb-er, trecked far and wide on the ruddy thing visiting mates at Uni's 250 miles away and daft things like that! I cant say recommend it.... but... if you are young enough, dumb enough and numb enough... err... yeah, what the heck.. I can thoroughly recommend it! Certainly suits a bakes bean budget.. B-U-T.. you'll likely be eating a lot of baked beans and making excuses for not going on the 'excursions' others have planned pleading poverty watching the direct debits.... 125's are still a financial liability, you don't 'need' if you don't NEED.

IF you 'need' do sums carefully, they dont pay for themselves, and when you are living in a world of subsidized or discount student accommodation, student rail cards, bus-passes, and NUS mini-busses, it is likely NOT going to be something that does pay for itself in savngs, even if you work to find them, and don't just use it to the limit, and a little beyond of the pennies in your purse.....

Get the first term and a half of your new student life out the way, learn a few things along the way, like what;s what, how others 'cope' get by and get around, and THEN ponder whether a bike is a) useful, b) economically viable c) financially doable.

Life is L-O-N-G.. don't rush! Rushin' be fast way to hurt when it comes to motorbikes! Deal with the imedietes and gong to uni is a BI life change, a big eye opener, and a lot to take n board, as well as get things, especially income 'settled'.. take it a step at a time, and TAKE your time.... explore, experiment, indulge.. BUT... don't expect o even try to get it all here and now before you begin AND get it right first time...

Christmas should bring bounty, and wet wild weather probably wont have you wanting to be biking, especially with New-Years student party hang-over! Come March? Suns starts to show ts face, course work with have become routine, and start backing off towards 'revision' for the EOY's THEN you ca take stock, and think whether it REALLY is worth it....

Until then, it is probably 'just' more hassle and more expense you probably dont need, that is likely to be less than useful....

GO.. dress down, stay up, get wrecked, drink too much, eat bad, moan about teachers expecting you to do oooh 'wurk?!'.. have the time of your life.... THAT'S what Uni is supposed to be about, and there is SO much to chuck yourself into, BKES can wait... they really can... IF you can fit them in some-how in the mean time, great.... but stick 'em bottom of the list, certainly for now and the next few months.... just worry about getting past Christmas without suffering a nervous breakdown or alcohol poisoning!!.. or on second thoughts... maybe they should be the ambitions of the first term! Wink either way.. BIKES CAN WAIT!.... for now. Remember, life is long! Don't RUSH! Old age catches up quick, believe me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:47 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Worth mentioning that some bike schools do 1hr taster sessions just to get you on the bike so you can see what it's like before going for your CBT.

Otherwise just get your CBT done ASAP and then see how you feel.

Thank you! I have actually seen some of those and have been thinking of trying them, also to get more practice before my CBT. Although I have ridden a bike before a few times and I just know I'm gonna love it.

This is me having a sit on my friend's bike last week Very Happy FYI I'm sitting so far back cause he's about to jump on in front of me haha

Last edited by NickyG on 08:52 - 15 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:49 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Haven't read the post, so not giving advice. Just loving the a/s/l in the thread title. Haven't seen that shit since my AOL chatroom days of the mid nineties. It made me laugh.

ditto Smile

Mr. Green

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF. Am disappoint.

Pics or GTFO Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:53 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
NickyG wrote:
Thank you! For anyone else wandering I'm 19 in December haha

Perfect, you'll be bored of the 125 by then, and you can book a cheap winter A2 course at a training school.

Sounds like a plan!!

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:54 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
BCF. Am disappoint.

Pics or GTFO Laughing

Pics??

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:56 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Completely New to Biking and Just Need Advice... (F/18/U Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
NickyG wrote:
Stuff

CBT as soon as possible borrow a twist and go or something - just get it out of the way.

Watch you tube videos of motorcycle crashes due to idiot car drivers - you will then learn how much space you need to give such idiots.

125 for a year to get the experience - then move up depending on how confident you are.

Thumbs Up

Practice practice practice.

Rain is nothing to be scared of, ride all year round - its STILL more enjoyable than being stuck in a car (this depends on you buying the right gear).

Which leads nicely on to : Get all the Gear! Smile Car drivers open the door and sit surrounded by their protection... You have to wear it.

Also.

Pics.

Thumbs Up

Thank you, but pics of what people?? hahaa

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:02 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
For my four-penneth, I'll suggest doing NOTHING bike-wise until after at least Christmas.

Starting Uni is a big leap, and 'free money' is a quick way to get into financial grief, and a motorcycle is an expensive liability and an even quicker route to a couple of months of baked beans on toast suppers, when the grant-cheque runs out......

Plenty who start uni, don't make it past the first two terms; nearly all freshers will be in the same boat, lacking personal transport getting about by Shank's, and making promises until the grant cheque arrives, living it up for three weeks when it does, then making excuses and pleading phone calls home, from then till the end of term.....

With that looming, get that done, dusted, and your early learning of college life out the way, before you heap up the plate with anything else like motorbikes.

A2? Big biggest are a great way to waste money even faster... especially as it will likely beg a £1000 course to get the licence before you begin! 125's at least have the advantage they 'may' be reasonably cheap wheels.... and they do the job.. and they can be as quick as anything, of any other capacity, is legally allowed to go on this country's roads...

It's a daft thing that no-one says to learner-car drivers, "Oh no don't get a 1.1 Fiat Panda, you'll be bored within a month! Soon as you have passed tests you can drive a Ferarri.. THAT'S where its at!" its ridiculous.... and shows more the aspirations and expectations of the typical 'biker' than anything.... but still...

As a cheap way to lectures, a 125 can be a fantastic tool; I ran one for two and a half years of my student days, well beyond gaining my full 'Ride-What-You-Like' licence with the thing (in the days you could!) and being younger, dumber and rather a lot numb-er, trecked far and wide on the ruddy thing visiting mates at Uni's 250 miles away and daft things like that! I cant say recommend it.... but... if you are young enough, dumb enough and numb enough... err... yeah, what the heck.. I can thoroughly recommend it! Certainly suits a bakes bean budget.. B-U-T.. you'll likely be eating a lot of baked beans and making excuses for not going on the 'excursions' others have planned pleading poverty watching the direct debits.... 125's are still a financial liability, you don't 'need' if you don't NEED.

IF you 'need' do sums carefully, they dont pay for themselves, and when you are living in a world of subsidized or discount student accommodation, student rail cards, bus-passes, and NUS mini-busses, it is likely NOT going to be something that does pay for itself in savngs, even if you work to find them, and don't just use it to the limit, and a little beyond of the pennies in your purse.....

Get the first term and a half of your new student life out the way, learn a few things along the way, like what;s what, how others 'cope' get by and get around, and THEN ponder whether a bike is a) useful, b) economically viable c) financially doable.

Life is L-O-N-G.. don't rush! Rushin' be fast way to hurt when it comes to motorbikes! Deal with the imedietes and gong to uni is a BI life change, a big eye opener, and a lot to take n board, as well as get things, especially income 'settled'.. take it a step at a time, and TAKE your time.... explore, experiment, indulge.. BUT... don't expect o even try to get it all here and now before you begin AND get it right first time...

Christmas should bring bounty, and wet wild weather probably wont have you wanting to be biking, especially with New-Years student party hang-over! Come March? Suns starts to show ts face, course work with have become routine, and start backing off towards 'revision' for the EOY's THEN you ca take stock, and think whether it REALLY is worth it....

Until then, it is probably 'just' more hassle and more expense you probably dont need, that is likely to be less than useful....

GO.. dress down, stay up, get wrecked, drink too much, eat bad, moan about teachers expecting you to do oooh 'wurk?!'.. have the time of your life.... THAT'S what Uni is supposed to be about, and there is SO much to chuck yourself into, BKES can wait... they really can... IF you can fit them in some-how in the mean time, great.... but stick 'em bottom of the list, certainly for now and the next few months.... just worry about getting past Christmas without suffering a nervous breakdown or alcohol poisoning!!.. or on second thoughts... maybe they should be the ambitions of the first term! Wink either way.. BIKES CAN WAIT!.... for now. Remember, life is long! Don't RUSH! Old age catches up quick, believe me!

Thank you for such a detailed reply haha! Although I contrastingly believe that life is actually very short, I may well consider buying my bike in a few months as I will be more financially stable! Its also my birthday in December so that might result in my helmet and other stuff being presents!!

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:51 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 17 and in pretty much the same position as you but you said you want the bike for commuting and visiting parents. The only problem you might have with a CBR is it will be a bitch to insure. People have been suggesting me supermotos like an SMR125. My personal favourite though is the YBR as there is a custom version that gives it a cruiser look/feel but still has decent enough power. Shop around after you have done your CBT and find a bike that you like the look of though and look into insurance as it could play a huge part Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattRides wrote:
Im 17

But previously, MattRides wrote:
I am only 16 at the moment and will turn 17 as of March 2018.

Rounding error?

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:31 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattRides wrote:
Im 17 and in pretty much the same position as you but you said you want the bike for commuting and visiting parents. The only problem you might have with a CBR is it will be a bitch to insure. People have been suggesting me supermotos like an SMR125. My personal favourite though is the YBR as there is a custom version that gives it a cruiser look/feel but still has decent enough power. Shop around after you have done your CBT and find a bike that you like the look of though and look into insurance as it could play a huge part Smile

Thank you! At least I'm not the only one! I'll look into the YBR!

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:38 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MattRides wrote:
Im 17

Rounding error?

Using my phone 😂 got some tiny keyboard fml. But yes I am 16 an am 17 next year in March.

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:55 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MattRides wrote:
Im 17

Rounding error?

Ooh ouch 😂

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a YBR when she was learning.

After years on 600-1000cc bikes, to me it felt like riding a BMX. She loved it. Still misses it, several bikes down the line.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
BCF. Am disappoint.

Pics or GTFO Laughing

we didn't even have to ask and we got moving pictures

NickyG wrote:

This is me having a sit on my friend's bike last week Very Happy FYI I'm sitting so far back cause he's about to jump on in front of me haha

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickyG wrote:

he's about to jump on in front of me

He's doing it wrong 😂

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickyG wrote:
Turns out he is not stoked at all and is incredibly worried about me buying a bike!

I love riding my bike more than doing anything else with my clothes on, but TBH if one of my kids (of which I have three in their 20s) decided they wanted to take up biking I'd be pretty unstoked myself. I've never discouraged them from doing it, but never encouraged them either; though they certainly know how much I get out of it it. Dunno what that makes me - hypocrite? parent?!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
NickyG wrote:
Turns out he is not stoked at all and is incredibly worried about me buying a bike!

I love riding my bike more than doing anything else with my clothes on, but TBH if one of my kids (of which I have three in their 20s) decided they wanted to take up biking I'd be pretty unstoked myself. I've never discouraged them from doing it, but never encouraged them either; though they certainly know how much I get out of it it. Dunno what that makes me - hypocrite? parent?!

Im the same tbh Very Happy if my bro or my parents suddenly decided to take up biking id be well apprehensive , and on a ride out id make sure they go slow Very Happy... my mates on the other hand,...they can try to keep up Very Happy

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:
BCF. Am disappoint.

Pics or GTFO Laughing

we didn't even have to ask and we got moving pictures

NickyG wrote:

Exactly, people asking for pics and I already posted a video Very Happy

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:44 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
NickyG wrote:

he's about to jump on in front of me

He's doing it wrong 😂

hahahaaa😂😂

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:46 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
NickyG wrote:

Definitely not hypocrite if you wouldn't actually stop them! I understand the dilemma and I don't want to upset my parents but does that mean I should just never ride a bike??

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Some stuff about bikes and Uni

I vaguely agree with Tef, in that the start of uni is not the best time to pummle your money into bikes. Only my reasoning is that the entire first year of uni only exists because it's for getting fucked up and going to parties 8 nights a week.

HOWEVER; Uni is the BEST time to pummle your money into bikes. Where else are you going to get a loan that you don't have to worry about paying back?

I started uni on my 125 with L-Plates and I came out the other end of uni with my CBR600 and a damn good working knowledge of the 3 bikes I owned during that time.

I spent a solid 50% or more of my maintenance loan on bike parts and other bike related things.

I must say though, it helped that I was working a very lucrative job during the summers. I wouldn't expect I'd have afforded it all on the loan alone.

NickyG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:11 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Some stuff about bikes and Uni

I vaguely agree with Tef, in that the start of uni is not the best time to pummle your money into bikes. Only my reasoning is that the entire first year of uni only exists because it's for getting fucked up and going to parties 8 nights a week.

HOWEVER; Uni is the BEST time to pummle your money into bikes. Where else are you going to get a loan that you don't have to worry about paying back?

I started uni on my 125 with L-Plates and I came out the other end of uni with my CBR600 and a damn good working knowledge of the 3 bikes I owned during that time.

I spent a solid 50% or more of my maintenance loan on bike parts and other bike related things.

I must say though, it helped that I was working a very lucrative job during the summers. I wouldn't expect I'd have afforded it all on the loan alone.

Thank you! I'm definitely now considering waiting a while before buying my bike to settle in to uni!

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickyG wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
Worth mentioning that some bike schools do 1hr taster sessions just to get you on the bike so you can see what it's like before going for your CBT.

Otherwise just get your CBT done ASAP and then see how you feel.

Thank you! I have actually seen some of those and have been thinking of trying them, also to get more practice before my CBT. Although I have ridden a bike before a few times and I just know I'm gonna love it.

The CBT is NOT a test, it is a training & assessment designed for people who have never ridden a bike before, you don't pass, you complete.

Some people it takes a couple of days, others it takes a single day.

MattRides wrote:
Im 17 and in pretty much the same position as you but you said you want the bike for commuting and visiting parents. The only problem you might have with a CBR is it will be a bitch to insure. People have been suggesting me supermotos like an SMR125.

Super-motos, as highly stolen as R125's and other sports 125cc bikes.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

My wife asked me what I'd do if our daughter wants a bike in the future (she's currently 3)

My answer was take her out on the back if I hadn't already

show some near miss vids and discuss the risks

get her CBT done and then her A1 tests so she's had the extra training, I can't stop her getting a bike but I can try and ensure she knows how to deal with situations on the road.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3