Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garden Bridge plan abandoned at multi million £ cost

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Garden Bridge plan abandoned at multi million £ cost Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40921373

Khaaaaaan wrote:
When he announced his decision not to back the bridge, Mr Khan said the project would expose taxpayers to financial risk.
"I have been clear that this should not be allowed to happen. Accordingly, the GLA (Greater London Authority) is unable to provide mayoral guarantees for this project.
"I regret that the significant expenditure of public funds and effort from both public bodies and the Garden Bridge Trust has not led to a situation where I can provide the guarantees requested."

£30m+ in the hole Shocked

It's like a certain racetrack in Wales all over again Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the other BBC link in that article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39524979

Tom Edwards, transport correspondent wrote:
This is 40 pages of brutal, uncompromising criticism of nearly every part of the once flagship Garden Bridge project. I can't remember reading a report so damning of a transport project.
Procurement, finances, business cases, value for money, previous mayors, deputy mayors and transport officials get an absolutely withering assessment.

Lovely stuff. One wonders how many palms were being greased in this embezzlement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did they waste on (the new) Wembley stadium before it finally got built. Mind you at least they actually built it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
How much did they waste on (the new) Wembley stadium before it finally got built. Mind you at least they actually built it.

I thought that was FA, private and lottery money rather than public?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Garden Bridge plan abandoned at multi million £ cost Reply with quote

arry wrote:
£30m+ in the hole Shocked

Spending £37.4m of tax payers money on a project that later gets abandoned is part and parcel of living in a big city. Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our country revolves around London. Like Trump says, we need a wall, only ours needs to go around the M25.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I thought that was FA, private and lottery money rather than public?

Maybe getting mixed up with the Millennium Dome or Olympic Stadium (now home to West Ham)?

Both were passed on for a massive losses after brief usage. I can't remember who the dome went to originally, but seem to remember it being plainly obvious it was a government favour to a "friend", aka party donor.

The spending watchdog looked at the handling of £161m of public money given towards the estimated £757m total cost of the new [Wembley] stadium.

I was going to list the Millennium Dome, Wembley I remember being special because they spent shit loads before they even started building, with other proposed sites such as Picketts Lock (which would never have worked).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste for Mayor of London.

It can't be too tricky to do better than Sadiq Khan is. I mean, he does just make it all up as he goes along and yet he still Khan't get things right.

Just think how many bikelife could have been dealt with using that £37.4m he's wasted.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bojo's getting the blame for this one, Khan just killed it off.

https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fb/fb2467cda9d098ebd64b84543e64d72c9e2b572b84f941c92909f11ac26253a7.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Our country revolves around London. Like Trump says, we need a wall, only ours needs to go around the M25.

A remarkably good idea. Not just a physical wall but a financial wall so all the tax money raised within the M25 can only be spent within the M25.
This would improve the lives of the people within considerably while the people without would suffer.

Are you really this thick?

Last edited by sickpup on 23:23 - 14 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

The spending watchdog looked at the handling of £161m of public money given towards the estimated £757m total cost of the new [Wembley] stadium.

I was going to list the Millennium Dome, Wembley I remember being special because they spent shit loads before they even started building, with other proposed sites such as Picketts Lock (which would never have worked).

I didn't realise that. The question is though... does the state get any revenue back, in the way of shareholding dividends?

I can't remember what was spent when but I'm fairly certain all that money was spunked way before they decided to build the new Wembley... at Wembley.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

A remarkably good idea. Not just a physical wall but a financial wall so all the tax money raised within the M25 can only be spent within the M25.
This would improve the lives of the people within considerably while the people without would suffer.

Are you really this thick?

No, but you may well be. London derives its wealth from being the capital city of the UK, and able to suck talent and investment from the rest of the country. It's like a bully stealing lunch money from the other kids, the bully eats well by taking the share of others. The rest of the UK gets crumbs from top table. Once London is surrounded by a wall it loses access to the rest of the talent in the UK, loses all government jobs and publicly owned resources like museum contents, is completely landlocked, must be pay tariffs to rUK to import/export it will not be doing nearly as well economically as it will no longer be in a position to steal from rUK. Instead, all those nice jobs and attractions can be given to the British regions so that they can benefit, instead of it all being packed in London for the benefit of 15% of the population. As for London, they can have unlimited immigration once the wall is complete Laughing

Forget white privilege, it's all about that London privilege these days.

https://media.licdn.com/media/AAEAAQAAAAAAAA2nAAAAJDhlNjdhZWQ0LTVkYzEtNDAzYi04MTEyLTE3OTcxZWNjZjQ0Mg.png

Behold... The Manchester subway
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Crossrail-2-Map.jpg

Sheffield superdome
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Millennium_Dome_%28zakgollop%29_version.jpg/1200px-Millennium_Dome_%28zakgollop%29_version.jpg

Bristol British Museum
https://www.fosterandpartners.com/media/1705103/img0.jpg

Redirect Eurostar to Southampton
https://cdn.londonandpartners.com/asset/b42d3f5689163ff01cc0d4528d994fdc.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when this topic comes up it boils down to return for your investment. No point having a good transport service so Northerners can go down the dole office Wink

I realise a fair chunk of London's tax revenue comes from the city, although they do have a habit of stealing losing everyone's money as well Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:06 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
A remarkably good idea. Not just a physical wall but a financial wall so all the tax money raised within the [City of London] can only be spent within the [City of London].

Equitable funding.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont like London, I'm too country.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

Who does, except tourists who only see the touristy bits, and socialites who ignore all the crime and deprivation.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
kawakid wrote:

Who does, except tourists who only see the touristy bits, and socialites who ignore all the crime and deprivation.

I dunno, I hear there a lot of people who bad mouth it but seem somehow unable to leave it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bits of London I hang around in, I don't have any issues with.

There are bits I won't go to, though. And not for fear of Snackbar.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Normally when this topic comes up it boils down to return for your investment. No point having a good transport service so Northerners can go down the dole office Wink

I realise a fair chunk of London's tax revenue comes from the city, although they do have a habit of stealing losing everyone's money as well Thinking

It's absolutely true that the return on investment (RoI) is higher with London, but that is only because of previous investment. So the more you pour into London, the better the RoI becomes for London. And the more you don't pour into the North, the more Northerners will be off to the dole office and the worse their RoI will be next time you allocate infrastructure funds. Similarly, if you gave the investment to the North then it's RoI would improve.

mpd72 wrote:

Why is it so over populated then?

Every Gimmedat going wants a penthouse in Kensington paid for by the tax payers.

There are lots of job there, and if the state is willing to house you then you are sorted!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1