Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got a super-sport and I hate it.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Got a super-sport and I hate it. Reply with quote

This post is just a rant.

Had an awesome BMW GS drove it all year round never had to worry about it getting stolen or having to cover it up and protect it from the rain.
Friends convinced me it was an old mans bike (Im 25) and that I should get a supersport bike. I get a supersport bike cbr600rr.
I now have to park it in the garden everyday which takes about 5/10 mins and have to lock it up. Doesn't sound like a lot of time but it is once you finished a 12 hour shift and just want to sleep.
Also its uncomfortable and gets hot when in traffic and the driving position is stupid its like im asking to be taken up the ass.
I can't even use the power for more then 10 secs at a time without having to brake due to someone in front driving slow.
It's a great bike and stupidly fast but for daily use I can't understand how anyone could use it.
I also now have to carry a backpack around as well because I have no panniers.

Gone from driving my GS daily to driving my CBR just on the weekends and commute with the van.
Funny thing is all of my friends use their cars to commute to work so that should of been a good hint.

So I've now got to save up for a few months and get a r1200gs and take a hit on the cbr600rr when I sell it most likely...
Oh and I'm no doubt going to get a speeding ticket at some point also because the bike is really hard to drive slow. Its not built for cruising along at 30mph.

I know the BMW GS get a lot of stick on this forum but I think they are awesome. I never considered buying a car when I had mine as my 3 panniers were more then enough space, could easily get £50 worth of shopping in there from Tesco.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from a GS to a CBR600rr. What did you expect? Laughing

Did you not test ride it first, and then think it through thoroughly?

Also, grow a spine. If you go around doing what everyone else tells you to do you're not going to be happy in life. Live life by your own standards (within reason) and do things for you, and not because friends/society says you should do them. Karma

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:43 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalemac wrote:

Also, grow a spine. If you go around doing what everyone else tells you to do you're not going to be happy in life. Live life by your own standards (within reason) and do things for you, and not because friends/society says you should do them. Karma

I was driving it home within 30mins of looking at it.
It was my decision, just a very stupid one. It felt so right at the time though. Sick

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Dalemac wrote:

I was driving it home within 30mins of looking at it.
It was my decision, just a very stupid one. It felt so right at the time though. Sick

Shocked

Well, it's probably going to be an decision that costs you several grand, but hopefully you'll not make the same mistake again.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:50 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you bought a supersport bike and then complain how bad it is for commuting?

/sigh

I love my 600rr, but I wouldn't commute on it

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave in to peer pressure, trade sports bike and get new friends Thumbs Up

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commuted on a GSXR600 but had to stop through no choice of my own.

Have to say I love it. It suited me and my riding style perfectly.

Give it time. It always takes some getting used to when riding a new bike, different muscles at play, different clutch, brakes etc. Once you master the bike and your body adjusts to it you'll find it a pleasure to ride.

As for SBs being bad commuters, that's not true. My commute is pretty much local A roads right through the middle of London and I regularly got to open it up. And if you plan ahead and be sensible about it, filtering is also pretty easy. I don't think I did any less filtering on GSXR as I do now on my MT09.

You've got it now, give it a chance and get used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong bike for the wrong thing if you're commuting, unless you've been riding it for a few months and are used to it.

I'll be honest I hate riding mine in traffic because of the heat issue, and for the first two weeks coming off a much more upright bike my muslces were seized and my wrists were destroyed.

Give it some more time, proper technique, and some squats and you'll soon be ache free and might even start enjoying it.

Also with regards to speeding, I get what you mean with regards to it being far too eggy-onny and wanty-go-fastery especially as you start revving it up and it keeps getting quicker, but if you whack it in 6th gear when you want to cruise you'll have a hard time trying to accelerate at all if you're at 30.

Final note, just had my suspension set up by an expert. All the low speed handling issues and the hard rear suspension kicking me out of the seat have now all gone and it turns in quick and stays planted.

So might want to get your suspension set up properly if your bike is kicking your arse.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pick your R1200GS carefully https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/july/bmw-r1200gs-and-gsa-fork-safety-recall

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is thank fuck I had all my sports bikes in the years just before and just after the millennium, when they were still pretty big, fat and comfy too.

Mind you my ZX6R never looked as horny as a Triumph D675R.

Anyway OP you've gone about this all wrong, your supposed to ride sports bikes at your age& then wait for all your mates to convert to the way of the nazi, knobbly boxer with the full nuclear blast tested hard panniers, and then be pursueded to get one too to join them on ride outs in matching uniform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:00 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
All I can say is thank fuck I had all my sports bikes in the years just before and just after the millennium, when they were still pretty big, fat and comfy too.

Mind you my ZX6R never looked as horny as a Triumph D675R.

Anyway OP you've gone about this all wrong, your supposed to ride sports bikes at your age& then wait for all your mates to convert to the way of the nazi, knobbly boxer with the full nuclear blast tested hard panniers, and then be pursueded to get one too to join them on ride outs in matching uniform.

You forgot the mandatory Hi Viz Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:

You forgot the mandatory POLITE Hi Viz Laughing

ftfy

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add in that I have a gsxr 600 and have successfully commuted on it, I am also touring Europe on it at the moment (just reached Slovenia!) so give your cbr a chance. Sportsbikes do take some getting used to but long distances can be covered on them. Look at your riding position, you should have your forearms parallel to the road and take the weight through your core by clamping on to the tank with your knees.

I also got my seat recovered and a gel insert fitted to eliminate numb bum.

If you really can't get on with it then chop it in for something comfier and stop listening to your mates advice!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a supersport fan either. I don't really like the power delivery of your average inline 4 either (excepting litre bikes, mt10 was fun). Plenty of sporty alternatives to the GS that offer similar benefits such as the tracer. Different sorts for different folks, get what suits you rather than what your mates say.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I was about to buy a fiesta ST today and use the cbr for messing about on the weekend. But I'm still young and I hate cars. I'd rather drive a ugly GS day everyday then a car.

I could commute on my CBR everyday but its never going to be as comfortable as the GS and I live in Essex and my area is notorious for bike theft, I'd always be worrying about it. Maybe I'll get another supersport when I'm OLD and can afford a house with a garage Laughing

Never had a reliability issue with the 1150GS I had. Doubt I will with the 1200GS.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode/ride FFS not drive/drove

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalemac wrote:

Precise handling, powerful brakes, triple digit speeds on demand? Cool

EDIT:
That's all I was missing when riding a FMX 650 for a brief moment. The way SM bikes dive before the front brake starts to do something and then gets light when you open the throttle was not reassuring.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:13 - 14 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain the opinion that Sports-bikes are the best for commuting.

Admittedly my 2 sports bikes aren't full on RR style, so perhaps my turning circle is a touch better.

But otherwise, IMHO, a CBR should be better at getting through traffic than a GS.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one cool story... bro Cool

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love commuting on my zx9r, I'm just gutted that I now live 5 minutes from work* as I used to love the "have a go hero's" that think their sporty car has got a snowball in hell's chance of keeping up with me when I get in to 4th on the motorway on a 30 minute commute Laughing

Comfort, meh that would be an added bonus (like a fuel gauge on a long trip).....

*I now live 1 motorway junction from work and have to cross 3 lanes of traffic to get to my exit

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:39 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I even find supersports a bit slow. You often need power in town. Work your way to the front of the lights, between the two lanes, then, first away, accelerate to the next set and same again. Don't lug the engine getting it hot - keep the revs up, going outside facing the oncoming traffic, lines petmitting, if needs be. You can still ride defensively quickly ( pull in when it gets too tight). There is no need to take unnecessary risks but certainly move swiftly into gaps. I ride my Busa happily in town. Keep gaining position - think of it as an urban MotoGP albeit at slower speed. Filtering is legal and as long as you signal and stay constantly aware, can be done safely. It's not sports bikes are wrong for town, it's riders who don't fully exploit their potential! As for buying the wrong bike - every machine has it's weaker points. That's why those of us who have been around a bit have had a few! Sports, to cruiser, to adventure, to naked......a familiar bikers' tale!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Never had a reliability issue with the 1150GS I had. Doubt I will with the 1200GS.

Yes you will, anything after the 1150 is universally recognised as being amongst the worst BMW bikes ever made.

I agree with waffles' initial assessment, up to the point of getting new friends - get another GS, but keep the friends and learn how to ride the knackers off the BM, so they get embaressed because they can't keep up/lose you Twisted Evil

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a box.
Learn to pass slow drivers safely.Filter and lane split where needed.
Learn slow control.
Itll have immobiliser, dont worry about it unless in london or a northern shit hole.
If you get speeding ticket your awareness is shit and should be banned from riding a bike.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

If you get speeding ticket your awareness is shit and should be banned from riding a bike.

Laughing fucking lol

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:46 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd commute on it.

man the fk up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3