Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Solicitors 'Success Fee'?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Solicitors 'Success Fee'? Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with a solicitors recommended by MCE. They want a 'success fee' of 25% on top of their no win no fee charge.

Can anyone recommend a decent no win, no fee solicitors who do not charge a 'success fee'?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them they'll need to get you 125% for you to regard it as a 'win'...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:34 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's their "no win no fee charge"?

Why are you getting solicitor recommendations from MCE? Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Solicitors 'Success Fee'? Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Just got off the phone with a solicitors recommended by MCE. They want a 'success fee' of 25% on top of their no win no fee charge.

Is it Fletchers? If so run away. I only went with them cos they didn't charge a success fee back then, but still regretted it.

Can't recommend anyone but some people on here have been able to negotiate the fee down, on the basis of having a straight-forward claim (liability admitted etc.).

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think their no win no fee charge is passed onto the other party (whatever their costs are, think it was something like £400p/h for senior solicitor), then their success fee is 25%, so they get money from both sides. Seems a bit of a con really, do most solicitors do this?

Yes, it's Fletchers.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, do you even need a solicitor? As I see it, a lawyer, in many cases people just waste money for something they could have done on their own for free, without much of a effort.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern is assessing the value of personal injury. I would be quite happy to leave out the solicitors if I stand a chance of getting anything out of them myself.

Injuries include; concussion (spent night in hospital), nerve damage to knee, neck ache (ongoing) and 3 days lock jaw.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there was a change a few years back when the 25% figure came in, not sure how that works with the no win no fee situation (I assume they take a larger cut after?).

You'll need* a medical with a dodgy private doctor, it's all part of the scam game. White Dalton normally gets mentioned when these topics come up, I'm not recommending them as I have no experience of how they are, but they at least seem to be bikers (with Fletchers you get a stupid Scouse trainee solicitor).

*you can apparently gather your own evidence with GP notes etc., I'd be inclined to pick a 'good' solicitor and stomach the 25% (again see if it's negotiable dependant on circumstances).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no win no fee is pretty common practice even in the Land of Beer. You see, they only take cases, that they can possibly win. Losing such cases is very unlikely. By the way, IF you lose, you might still gonna have to pay the legal fees and expenses of the other side. Thumbs Up

Either way, you can still do it on your own. You're gonna need medical evidence. Here, and I'm only asuming this, your GP could help.

ALSO, it is medicaly impossible to dis/prove ''neck ache''. We're talking tiny nerve endings that are impossible to diagnose, so if it hurts, it hurts and no one can disprove it.

Going with a solicitor is playing it safe, losing money though. I'd need some time to get more familiar with the British personal injury damages recovery and assessment.

EDIT:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/personal-injury/personal-injuries/#h-taking-legal-action
Quote:
Conditional fee agreement

A conditional fee agreement means that your solicitor will receive no fees if you lose your case. You may, however, have to pay the legal fees and expenses of the other side. Your solicitor will normally ask you to take out insurance to cover this situation. If you win your case, your solicitor's fees and expenses will normally be paid by the other side.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:06 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Dalton worked well enough for me - once I'd dumped the clowns who had an 'arrangement' (read bought my details) from my insurance company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had great success with White Dalton too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said here before, I ride trail bikes with Andrew Dalton, and his partner, sound people. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Thumbs Up Will contact them tomorrow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1