Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclist charged with manslaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Cyclist charged with manslaughter Reply with quote

Now this I found interesting, cyclist on fixed wheel no brake kills pedestrian then charged with manslaughter and causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.
No mention that the street he was on is a 20mph zone which is why hi is charged with the furious and wanton part.

Clicky.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dulwich Paragon member perhaps? Whistle

The jury heard Alliston had been riding a "fixie" - a fixed wheel track bicycle with no front brake used by track racing cyclists - which is not legal on the road without modification.

I didn't realise there were rules surrounding bicycles on the road? Confused

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I didn't realise there were rules surrounding bicycles on the road? Confused

That doesn't surprise me at all.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I thought they were at the point of sale.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rolling Eyes I thought they were at the point of sale.

You were wrong (who would have believed it!!!)

Pedal cycle (construction and use) regulations 1983 iirc

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/safety-regulations

The Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations (PBSR) are intended to ensure that new bicycles are safe when sold.

When first enacted, in 1983, the major requirement of PBSR was to ensure that every new bicycle sold conformed to the British Standard for bicycles: BS6102 part 1.

?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spandex ones are the absolute worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The spandex ones are the absolute worst.

I agree, but then I don't wear Spandex Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Pedal cycles (construction and use) regulations 1983 iirc

M.C wrote:
The Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations (PBSR) are intended to ensure that new bicycles are safe when sold.

If you look really closely, maybe squint a little and try really really hard you may see a difference in what I wrote to what you think I wrote. Note in particular differences in words.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:16 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike privilege.

sickpup wrote:
Pedal cycle (construction and use) regulations 1983 iirc

YRC.

No person shall ride / at least one braking system / if fixie then must have a front brake.

Then again, if Tarquin's story is to be believed, she was phonefacing and stepped right in front of him.

Seems like his mistake was not posting "So anguish, never ride again."

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does rather sound like she walked out into the road without really paying attention, he shouted and she did the rabbit in headlights thing.
Then again, fixies are stupid and the people who ride them are more interested in image than being able to brake.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I posted it here was that over the last few years cyclists have become holier than thou and unable to do wrong.
This may be the start of cyclists being prosecuted and held liable for their actions which is a massive political change.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:03 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope so, but in practice I expect it'll only be the very worst cases like this one.

The vast majority will continue to occupy a hero-martyr niche, since every transport study demands more and more pedaling as the solution to everything for everyone everywhere.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixies are fine. They are good for your knees, good for your cadence and allow a very direct, flowing cycling style, especially in town.

Fixies with no front brake are for the track, not the road.

Fixies with no foot retention are for idiots.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The reason I posted it here was that over the last few years cyclists have become holier than thou and unable to do wrong.
This may be the start of cyclists being prosecuted and held liable for their actions which is a massive political change.

Laughing You don't cycle much do you? Neither do I anymore, but a few years ago I worked close enough to home to cycle in most days of the week.
If you think car drivers are sightless morons when you're on a motorbike, well it's definitely worse on a bicycle. Yeah, there are some proper self righteous retards out there who insist that it's safer for them to jump red lights and run people over, but on the whole cyclists aren't getting an easy ride. Maybe it's a lot worse in London these days - I seem to remember you having a run-in with a tour de france wannabe not that long ago. Laughing

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fixies with no foot retention are for idiots.

This made me remember a little pedal go-cart I had when I was a kid. Used to pedal up a hill and charge like fury down again. Problem was, the pedals were like a fixie and I'd often end up going faster than I could pedal. My feet would slip off the pedals and trying to regain control was akin to trying to lick cake mix of an electric whisk whilst it was running. Lost a lot of skin off my shins to that contraption!

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what he should have done was aim for the nearby lamppost, totalling himself so he could never walk again and say he did it on purpose to miss the poor lass. He'd then be a hero cyclist forevermore... Wink
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
sickpup wrote:

Laughing You don't cycle much do you? Neither do I anymore, but a few years ago I worked close enough to home to cycle in most days of the week.
If you think car drivers are sightless morons when you're on a motorbike, well it's definitely worse on a bicycle. Yeah, there are some proper self righteous retards out there who insist that it's safer for them to jump red lights and run people over, but on the whole cyclists aren't getting an easy ride. Maybe it's a lot worse in London these days - I seem to remember you having a run-in with a tour de france wannabe not that long ago. Laughing

Apparently he has 6 bikes but hates cyclists.

Previous incident where someone was jailed: https://road.cc/content/news/155056-cyclist-jailed-after-fatal-collision-pedestrian-hereford-city-centre Also reference to the 2008 incident (the one I was actually searching for Smile).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Its 9 bikes you imbecile.
I realise that even with 10 fingers you may not be able to count to 9 but you could have just looked at the pictures and worked it out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:24 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I realise that even with 10 fingers you may not be able to count to 9 but you could have just looked at the pictures and worked it out.

Maybe he had a fixie related chain accident?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably is time for a bit of bicycle crackdown again, and this could be the catalyst.

Last time there was a crackdown was when we had a lot of cyclists killed on the road in a short time, I think it was about a year ago. Lots of police at junctions, cyclists doing silly things were pulled over for words of advice or a ticket. Behaviours improved markedly, a lot less silly undertaking - like when I'm over at the left hand side of the road, indicating left, to turn left - and a cyclist come down up the inside of me just as I start to turn. A lot less jumping red lights in dangerous ways too, and plenty of jeering from the other cyclists when they do.

These behaviours are creeping back in now. A couple of weeks of crackdown and they should behave for another year or so.

I should mention that my experience is based on SE London. I know the ones in East London and The City are considerably worse, from a combination of self-righteous hipster youth, and City folk.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The southwest is certainly bad.

Had a cyclist on the pavement walk over to the road and place his bicycle in the road, without looking, right in front of a bus in a bus lane. Cue angry bus driver. Hipster on the bike seemed furious with the bus. Oh, and it was a fixie.

What also seems to be a common occurrence is the filtering cyclist (wannabe Bradley Wiggins type) decide that there isn't enough space on the left hand side of the road, and cut across the path of cars into the middle of the road, right into the place where motorcycles are filtering. Now I don't mind them being there, it's just when they do it without looking. I'm hoping that when I see an accident as a result of this I capture on my action camera and the court can see that the cyclist did not perform any observation or signalling of intent to maneuverer.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make mirrors a legal requirement too ... the number of them that ride around without a care in the world beggars belief.

This particular idiot that took a bike out onto the public road without a front brake is lucky he didn't get deadded by something, that he knocked over and subsequently killed someone else means he's around to face the music and all the negative publicity it brings. Hope it knocks some sense into all concerned.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
M.C wrote:

Its 9 bikes you imbecile.

9 then, and do keep insulting me, it encourages me to delve deeper Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
They should make mirrors a legal requirement too

For motorcyclists or pedal cyclists?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17