Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclist charged with manslaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:45 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:
They should make mirrors a legal requirement too

For motorcyclists or pedal cyclists?

For anyone who wears makeup.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:38 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

For motorcyclists or pedal cyclists?

Using them? Both! The primary issue ( I think ) is that if everyone obeyed the road rules, they'd be late to work or have to leave 2 hours earlier to get there.

More work from home is needed Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:54 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

[...]

Using them? Both!

How can you use them if they're not fitted?

Ste's point is that there's currently no legal requirement to have mirrors fitted to a motorcycle.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case both should be made a legal requirement.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:00 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

If I were to unscrew one of your mirrors, how much time do you think you should spend in jail?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It probably is time for a bit of bicycle crackdown again, and this could be the catalyst..

Quite right, then maybe to fool who ran the red light and wrote of £16k of Aprilia and could have easily caused me serious injury earlier this year would be properly reprimanded......Oh wait, no, that was a car....

You don't think that the time and money might be better spent having a 'bit off a crackdown' on people cruising around in a ton and a half of metal with little or no regard or consideration for other road users?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What we need is for all people cruising around in ton and a half of metal devices, to have to pass a driving test, be licenced with a penalty point system, insured, have the vehicles safety checked once a year and have a number plate recognition system in place, just like cycles have.

Oh hang on...

A crackdown on people driving unlicensed, untested, uninsured and in vehicles that are not roadworthy?

That dear boy, would be a fucking excellent place to start.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Someone ought to introduce ANPR cameras and fit them to traffic plod, so they could check vehicles on the go and pull them if needed.

According to MIB, there are 1 million uninsured cars on the roads.

MIB wrote:
Figures released today by MIB show that every three days someone is involved in an accident with an uninsured or ‘hit and run’ driver which will ultimately lead to a fatality.

In addition.

MIB wrote:
MIB settles about 25,000 claims a year and on average 120 relate to an accident where someone has died at the hands of a driver who either had no insurance or left the scene..

But hey, lets focus the rage on pedalists. They are surely the greatest threat to humanity since the Cuban missile crisis.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:18 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Policing deathmobiles requires ANPR.

Cyclopaths can be policed by footplod using the Mk 1 eyeball.

Which would be super if we still had beat units. Since everything is response or "intelligence led" now though, pedalists are by-and-large free to pick and choose which laws and parts of the Highway Code to follow and ignore.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
pedalists are by-and-large free to pick and choose which laws and parts of the Highway Code to follow and ignore.

As do we all.

Except that when pedalists ignore them, they really only put themselves at risk.

I find it amusing that the rage when a cyclist jumps a red light is not equal to the rage felt when people break speed limits..

Many more kittens must be slaughtered by cyclists than even motorcyclists Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Cyclopaths can be policed by footplod using the Mk 1 eyeball.

They also need a whistle, a notebook and a pointy finger.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So, around 0.05% have no insurance "or left the scene"
That's just the ones that actually managed to kill someone.

mpd72 wrote:

They certainly need clamping down on, when a growing number believe they are above traffic law.

Never break the odd traffic law yourself and get away with it then?

I would put it to you that a large proportion of us routinely break traffic laws. Except that there are some laws it seems are seen as perfectly acceptable to flout.

The hypocrisy is strong on BCF.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

If I were to unscrew one of your mirrors, how much time do you think you should spend in jail?

It's a fair point. How far does this need to be stamped in law versus how many people need to stop being dicks.

The issue I guess is she's no longer around to moan about it or be laughed at for not putting her safety above a phone call.

Bloke on fixie without front brake is still a bellend for being on the road in an unroadworthy bike. Law will deal accordingly.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
But car drivers wouldn't dream of flouting the dangerous ones broken by cyclists. For a start, we have number plates, insurance and licences with points deterrents.

Dangerous for whom?

Only the cyclist really. If you get killed doing something stupid, it's your own fault. Good riddance. Much like the woman who was killed and is the subject of this thread.

Interesting that you don't seem to regard speeding as one of the 'dangerous' ones. How many deaths on the road show speeding as a factor compared to deaths caused by a cyclist jumping a red light?

Use some common sense chap!

I'm not saying that cyclists should be immune from road rules, only that if there was any form of 'crack down' to be undertaken, it would be a far more beneficial use of time to crack down on motor vehicles breaking the law. (not that I'd want that either. I spend more time breaking the law than not when I'm not cycling)

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not many people on here really want any kind of crackdown on motorised vehicles. If anything a small, light, narrow machine with an astonishing power to weight ratio is probably exactly the tool you would want to flaunt traffic rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
If you see a cyclist coming at you up a one way street, not many car drivers would have the balls to aim straight at them, rather than swerving into a lamp post, brick wall or parked car and put themselves in danger.

I think most would just brake and then shout angrily.

In the specific instance of this threads opening post I think the woman bears some responsibility (assuming she was distracted by her phone).
Thinking about it I think I've had to take avoiding action due to peds more often than due to cyclists. Maybe it's time we had a crackdown on peds lazily walking out into the road with a yeah what's your problem bruv attitude as another car has to slam it's brakes on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Except that when pedalists ignore them, they really only put themselves at risk.

Thread title is what?

He's still going with everybody's fault but mine, so unfair, I see.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, 'front brakes won't have made any difference'. So for years manufacturers have been wasting money fitting front brakes when there was simply no need!

Muppet... even a split second of front brake may have slowed him down enough to have kept her alive. Rolling Eyes
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be silly. He had time to contract the muscles in his larynx to scream at her to get out the way, but wouldn't have had time to move his finger a few centimetres to apply a front brake.

Personally I don't see the point in bitching about cyclists running red lights. Traffic lights are, in my opinion a stupid system and should be treated like give way.
The vast majority of the time when a cyclist runs a red, nothing happens. However, when you're going through a red light, treat it like a give way/zebracrossing and try not to run anyone down.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17