Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclist charged with manslaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

BMX101 - you can skid for yards and yards if you only use the back brake. Use the front brake and you'll stop before you skid much, if at all. I'd have thought a forum of bikers would know the difference between a front and rear brake and how effective they are.

They do. But it's irrelevant if you don't attempt to use them at the point at which the danger presents itself. Kiddo attempted a kool kid swerve; it went wrong big time, and he clouted her.

I 'think' mpd's point is that he didn't apply the brakes cos he didn't have any - but that's counter intuitive IMO; any rider who knows his bike (and bear in mind he'd been a cycle courier, so he's done more than a few miles on that fixie would be my bet), if it was real panic stations, would deploy whatever braking they had.

The argument seems to stem from the fact that with proper brakes he could have stopped. I don't disagree with that, but I think with fixie power he could have stopped if he'd not taken the wrong choice in the first place and decided to have a game of chicken.

Whilst this all happened pretty quickly, I reckon it is probably best broken down into two phases.

Phase 1 - Chicken Phase) he sees her, shouts and her, shouts at her a bit more and then decides to swerve around her for kool points.
Phase 2 - Oh Shit Phase) she doesn't predict his move, panics and moves backwards into his path, he applies the braking that he had available which wasn't enough and a big smack occurs.

In Phase 2, at 6 metres or whatever he had to play with, front brake or none he was hitting her regardless. Speed he hit her at of course contested.
In Phase 1, if he's got time to shout at her twice, he's more than likely got time to stop the fixie before he smacks her, or at least got enough time to slow enough so that a fatal clash of heads has less chance to occur.

He played a game of pedestrian chicken and got caught out. Pedestrian played a game of road chicken and got caught out.

Much sad, but I wouldn't propose banning, legislating, holding public inquiries etc as a result of it it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
18 months in a young offenders institute for the kiddie.

He's appealing.

To his cell mate, Big Leroy.

Wub
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Unfortunately, as a 20 year old in children's prison, I doubt he'll see much of this...

From what I heard from people who have been to jail YP's is far worse then adults, for violence and bullying, simple because you have lots of adolescent young men all trying make a name for themselves.

Where as adults have less to prove amd just want to keep their heads down and do their time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
now you're saying he skidded Rolling Eyes

No, Tarquin said he skidded.

As it turns out, the judge was having none of it, and clearly said so during sentencing.

M.C wrote:
She killed herself.

A court in possession of the whole story thinks otherwise.

But what do they know about the law or the facts?

Hilarious. Remember KTM guy 'accidentally' knocking off Goto...? If we're going to vilify the guy I want see the CCTV, seeing as the husband's bawwing about a law change to crackdown on 'dangerous' cyclists, I think we deserve to see it. I suspect the CCTV shows her in pure lemming mode and it won't be released.

mpd72 wrote:

No, he's saying he skidded, not me. Rolling Eyes

If you step out in front of a car or motorcycle with no legal brakes, you'd blame the driver for not driving a safe and legal vehicle. Well, most people in the real world away from Bitty would.

mpd72 wrote:
He said he skidded. Proper brakes to the front and he may very well have slowed enough to miss her or not kill her.

So do you believe he braked or not, or are those two sentences completely unrelated? It's just you went through several pages saying he didn't have any brakes.

And no, in the real world you take responsibility for your own actions, such as stepping out into the road and getting hit. In the modern mumsnet it's always someone else's fault reality (which you seem to have joined) you blame someone else.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Big Leroy.

Wub

Delroy already has dibs, maybe they could share the space somehow? Ouch. Pale
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:13 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
And no, in the real world you take responsibility for your own actions

I'm thinking... something about reading that in a book... that your mum got from the library. Is that about the right level of ad hominem?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ride or drive a vehicle on the road, abide by the laws in place for the safety of you and others. Ignore the law, don't come bawing. It's a shame it wasn't a HGV which jumped out in front of him and refused to "get out of the fucking way".

So going back to my earlier question which you didn't answer, what about the people riding unrestricted or ineligible bikes on this forum?

It's a shame she didn't step out in front of a lorry as I doubt there would have been all this...

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/3182051.jpg

I bet if her name was Consuela and she was on her way to a part time cleaning job no one would have given a shit anyway.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People shouldn't blindly step out into the road.

That in no way excuses hipsters from having no front brake but for self preservation purposes it's generally a sensible idea to not step out in front of vehicles.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Ride a motorcycle without a front brake and I would have no sympathy BittyBoy.

He killed someone by riding an illegal bike you dick. Think about that for a minute eh?

Sleeping Tedious circles. I've ridden a motorbike without a rear brake and (separately) with bent levers meaning I didn't have the full braking force. A Blade on an A2 license is illegal so why make the distinction? Imagine the headline, biker kills pedestrian on bike 3 times more powerful than he was allowed to ride.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
He killed someone by riding an illegal bike you dick. Think about that for a minute eh?

Yeah, he was / is a twat. There isn't much argument on that score.
But you've been talking about setting up the Bicycle Special Response Force Militia that'll gulag anyone without a registration plate, monthly MOT and £50trn insurance cover.

Anyway, if you were about to cross the road and some twat on a bicycle shouted that he was coming through would you still step in front of them or would stay on the pavement and call them a cnt as they flew recklessly past?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:41 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see far more adults riding on pavements, at night with no lights now than I've ever done before. There are no beat bobbies anymore to ball them off.

Not so. I regularly see coppers in Glasgow.

Some of them riding cycles.

On non-shared pavements.

Quis custodiet? Crying or Very sad

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The point I'm making is that the laws are already out there (if a bit thin on the ground for cyclists), but are generally being ignored by cyclists.
Bull. You have documented evidence of one cyclist who ignored law. There is no more evidence to support either side of this.

mpd72 wrote:
The question is why? A lot of traffic law is enforced now by camera, something cyclists are immune to, because their cycles carry no required registration. I just think if cyclists could be found and held responsible for their own actions, that many more would abide by the rules of the road and legal requirements.
More bull. You've made up something to justify your inner rage against people who do something you don't like, because they're 'getting away with it'. Fact is, people who flout these already existing laws will continue to flout any new ones. And even if they didn't you'd get a Tarquin who would not have used his brake even if he had one.

mpd72 wrote:
I see far more adults riding on pavements, at night with no lights now than I've ever done before. There are no beat bobbies anymore to ball them off. My town has doubled in size in the last 30 years and in the process lost it's police station.
I've seen more crocodlie attacks now than ever before and I've also noticed Danone have been advertising a change in the formula for their Raspberry Yoghurts. Makes you think, doesn't it.

And, how do you know it's not a shared use cycle / ped path? Sure of it, every time are you? How about the ones who cycle on the path because they're been bullied off the road by some flangehowler 2 minutes before up the road, hey? You know nothing.

mpd72 wrote:
Pissed on a moped could equal prison time or a ban. What's the equivalent for rising a cycle pissed?
What's the equivalent for not getting caught while being pissed on a moped. That's you're challenge figure. There are people who do this and don't get caught now, so what makes you think that putting number plates on bicycles will stop people getting pissed and using them?

mpd72 wrote:
70-100KG of rider on a cycle can cause serious injury or death
Agreed. Adding a number plate would do ZERO to stop this, it's physics.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a law against cycling while drunk, somebody was cautioned for it recently, it was on road.cc or some other cycling website.

I suspect you would be looking at a similar fate to that of the cyclist in the OP if you mullered someone while you where drunk not to mention you would be personally liable for their injuries if you don't have 3rd party insurance.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Why does the law apply to a lesser scale for a cyclist?

It does not.
Any clearer now, flower?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching an episode of Jay Leno's garage earlier and he was riding a motorbike (on the road) with no front brake. I hope he gets the chair Folded arms

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Try getting a caution for riding a moped drunk. Do you need someone to explain this for you? Rolling Eyes

Because a motor vehicle it is - drink you shall not. A cycle isn't.

Why should one apply and not the other? Well there's no right or wrong answer to that. It's a question of balance.

I don't agree with the moped laws as they sit - I think they should be canned and you either train for a 125 or you don't. Does that make it a dangerous epidemic? No. Do you still have problems with moped riders here and there despite legislation and cost? See Peds in London thread.

Where you draw the line needs to he rational and proportionate - I don't think what you are proposing is. Comparing it to other things I would also disagree with doesn't change that, or make it a more valid argument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17