BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Detailed bike chain comparison test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:48 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still a gulf between a £500 GS and a shiney new sports bike. For all the 'news' about bike thefts, percentage wise, it's still the easy targets that get pinched, I'd wager 2-3 grands worth of anything with a couple of visual deterrents, parked sensibly is safer than most people think.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not suggesting it cannot happen but theft is normally an easy thing.
The folk who do it are not always the sharpest tools in the box.

If you think about where and when you leave something 'attractive' to thieves it can possibly deter their activity.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you guys declare your Almax chain and other security measures do you take them everywhere with you?

I only declare a disc lock because honestly I don't feel like carrying 10kg+ chain wherever I go. I declared I keep my bike on the road, but in fact I keep it on the property, out of view, locked not only with disc lock but also 2 chains (one of them almax III with 2 padlocks) and the bike is covered.

I don't want to give them any reason not to pay in case of theft. So far nobody even attempted to steal my bike *touches wood*

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
When you guys declare your Almax chain and other security measures

The heck would you do that, unless it brings your quote down significantly? Bear in mind that the one time I tried adding Almax + Squire to a quote, it went up by 1/3rd.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Musketeer wrote:
When you guys declare your Almax chain and other security measures

The heck would you do that, unless it brings your quote down significantly? Bear in mind that the one time I tried adding Almax + Squire to a quote, it went up by 1/3rd.

True.. my quotes were not really that much better with almax.. 10 quid or so difference. There was no point.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:17 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current insurers want some security where I normally keep the bike at night, and have on record a "large ground anchor of unknown manufacture" but no specifics of the chain or lock used. They aren't bothered about security when I am not within whatever arbitrary distance it is from my house. I carry a disklock under the seat and take a lightweight chain if I'm parking somewhere particularly grim. But My bike is an old bandit.

Howevermuch I say an alarm only works if you're there to hear it, when scrotes set the alarm off and I thought it had gone over in the wind and dashed outside I was probably fortunate that they were not up for a fight. I'm not sure any bike is worth risking ones life over, and despite an incident in leeds where an underequipped horde of scrotes made the mistake of surprising a historic weapons instructor with a large stick and escaped with a free lesson and some unlicensed dental surgery, for the most part it is a reasonable assumption that those equipped for vehicle theft have some reasonably lethal weapons of opportunity to hand at the very least. Even if you are the most brutal kind of killing machine, outnumbered and unprepared is not good odds.

The first rule of self defence is don't endanger yourself for property.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Even if you are the most brutal kind of killing machine, outnumbered and unprepared is not good odds.

I agree, that's why you (try to) assess the situation. However...

talkToTheHat wrote:
The first rule of self defence is don't endanger yourself for property.

This assumes it's a rare occurrence? For example if you regularly have people trying to mug you, you'd be very poor if you handed over your s**t every time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3