Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rat Style Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:36 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Rat Style Bikes Reply with quote

This Honda VT125 has appeared opposite work, and I just don't get it.
Its getting a lot of attention, even from non-bikers, but only to say how shit it looks.

Does anyone actually think rat style bikes looks good?

https://image.ibb.co/h8rs1a/20170814_170831_Small.jpg

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that front guard is kinda cool...just saying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Rat Style Bikes Reply with quote

pudder wrote:

No.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually looks like someone has attached wheels to a turd and then stuck some handlebars in it Sick

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Virus.

His Xj is interesting.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:13 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
that front guard is kinda cool...just saying

If the tyre was actually being used as a mudguard, maybe.

Since it's been shoved on top of a perfectly functional mudguard, foggitry.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced patina is forced. Alloy fork legs don't rust. Someone's been mixing iron filings in their laquer.

A "real" ratbiker wouldn't have gone to such lengths. RAT - Ridden All the Time.

My enfield is a ratbike. I ride it, not clean it.

Lingeringstinks MZ is one too. Also a good example of actual patina. The tank is unpainted.

https://s27.postimg.org/a6vit1wfn/111.jpg
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like rats, technically I drive a ratted car.

But for me it's partly because I ran out of time in life to clean things, especially chrome.
It's also usually a very lazy way to finish a bike, spray it a Matt colour and say it's supposed to look rough.

Everyone has their preferences though, I've never 'rusted' anything, half my time is spent trying to stop the blasted stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a rat, that's a form of posing, just like the Hipster crap is.

Rat bikes are kept going the cheapest way possible. They look the way they do because the owner doesn't give a fuck it looks, only that it goes. This is the exact opposite of that. It's why I like older bikes, I feel less guilty about just riding them, than letting a shiny bike get into a state.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get my fucking coat here, but while Rat bikes don't do a thing for me, I quite like some of those old rat Rod car/truck builds. Im not keen on forced rust or deliberately aged paintwork, but I like the way they pull bits of scrap off other old cars and nail it on for a functional purpose. Say like using old connecting rods as bumper mounting brackets, or an old beer barrel for a fuel tank.

I should say that I'd stop well before using a skull as a gear shift knob, or old brass gas lanterns for tail lights etc. But secretly I like them too! As I do fire extinguishers for inlet manifolds, and tractor exhausts with a rain cap sticking up out the bonnet etc. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
That's not a rat, that's a form of posing, just like the Hipster crap is.

Saw the owner as I was about to leave work.
He had his hair in a hipster man-bun... nuff said.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of goes back to the whole Rat vs Survival bike thing.

A lot of "rat bikers" I meet actually only ride a few times a month (which is fine by the way...) and deliberately build mad max type bikes...some of which I like. Arguably they are survival bikes but whatever...

Then you get people who have that kind of bike and actually ride all the time (Virus being one).

Then you get people like me who just don't care about their bikes appearance and ride all the time. Some call my bike ratty/a rat bike. Some call my bike a shit heap/neglected. Laughing

</teffers mode>

I actually don't have any photos of my bike from the last year. I'll take one when it has front forks again (later this week). This non close-up one from last year will have to do.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won a best rat bike trophy at a welsh rally once. Cheeky sods, I didn't consider it a rat bike, although I am not a cleaner or a polisher.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a couple of rat bikes I've taken photos of about a year ago.

https://s25.postimg.org/6yjbrjlhb/rat1.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/td107ro8v/rat2.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/h9vok7d6n/rat3.jpg

I do like rat bikes like this, I'm not as keen on the whole rat/survival/mad max look where they seem to be just, well, trying too hard. The second one is just a normal bike really, with a courier spending pennies instead of pounds i suspect Thumbs Up

as for the O.P's original photo, well, I don't mind it as such, but too much effort seems to have gone into it, that much effort, why not a decent paint job instead?

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about doing this to my Bros a few times...then I couldn't be bothered...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BROS are cracking little bikes, and would be a shame to do that to one IMHO

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
BROS are cracking little bikes, and would be a shame to do that to one IMHO

I know, I've had mine since before I passed my test and despite being 6ft it is my favourite of all the bikes I've had. Although sometimes I crave the torque of my old BMW boxer twin or sheer refinement of the new Street Triple I test rode...

But the Bros cost me £330 in 2010, £30 odd tax, does 60mpg, never seems to have major issues and costs me £80 a year to insure. It's just too good a deal to give up...

Also mine will have CBR600 fork internals by the end of the week. Mr. Green

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ the only time stealing a motorcycle and setting it on fire is acceptable behaviour

also @thx1138 seen the same bike

https://image.ibb.co/bGWJRa/IMG_5540.jpg

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:22 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...a good example of actual patina. The tank is unpainted.

https://s27.postimg.org/a6vit1wfn/111.jpg

I eventually found out why my tank didn't just rust away by now. It's a 1950's Bantam tank and apparently the metal was made with a higher lead content. I've heard it was so they didn't spark so much when they hit the deck but I don't know it that's true or not.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i quite like 'mad max' bikes but they have to be well executed or it just looks shite. I did the "ima paint ma byke blak" thing with the gpz500. It was ridden all the time and rarely cleaned (but in great mechanical condition) but i didnt consider it a "Rat" bike.

Why would anybody WANT their bike to rust. We spend time and effort trying to prevent the damn stuff starting. Rust is all bad.. unless you own an old america pickup and live in a dry climate or an old beetle or something where the rusty AF look works.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:12 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any lacquer, oil or grease coating on that tank, or is it truly exposed?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Rat Style Bikes Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
This Honda VT125 has appeared opposite work, and I just don't get it.
Its getting a lot of attention, even from non-bikers, but only to say how shit it looks.

https://image.ibb.co/h8rs1a/20170814_170831_Small.jpg

Imho that looks fugging ugly Puke look on the bright side, the owner is less likely to come out of work to discover his bike has been stolen.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the title of the thread is correct in that That Motorcycle is not actually a proper rat bike, just "in the style of" one.

Much like food which is "strawberry flavoured milkshake" i.e., no actual strawberries, just the supposed flavour of them.

A proper rat bike, as pointed out, usually develops, rather than is designed. I love them.

But I don't love the bike in the original post: its ugly and tries too hard to be something its definitely not. Its Joe Public's version of a ratbike, not a true ratbiker's version.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Is there any lacquer, oil or grease coating on that tank, or is it truly exposed?

There will be spilled fuel and pre-mixes. And he's run it variously on anything from stolen lamp oil to diesel to meths. He once claimed to be running it on piss and that it was dripping beer from the exhaust, but I think he'd been at the brasso that night.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4