Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rat Style Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anything authentic these days? Does anyone care?. I think the whole need for authenticity is a bit out dated. There's a younger generation who've been brought up in such an artificial and virtual world that everything is essentially just a toy. They may even be right and the authenticity of anything is ultimately questionable. The kids know it's all just...... "fake news". Dig it?

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:01 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two old rat bikes. Both were in a bad way when I got them so I just rattle canned both of them with Hammerite and off I went. The FZ750 was troublesome at times (mostly electrical) but when it went, it was rather quick. The CB500 was one of the most reliable bikes I've ever had and was a great commuter. Both were ridden all year round, never cleaned and great fun to ride..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Is anything authentic these days? Does anyone care?. I think the whole need for authenticity is a bit out dated. There's a younger generation who've been brought up in such an artificial and virtual world that everything is essentially just a toy. They may even be right and the authenticity of anything is ultimately questionable. The kids know it's all just...... "fake news". Dig it?

Rat bikes are the sun, rat bikes are an egg, rat bikes are the police.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few rat bikes. They were bought out of necessity as I was a dispatch rider at the time. Those bikes with the top boxes strapped to the seat are most definitely dispatch bikes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike I bought today is a candidate for ratting... it's fucking horrid. Lots of corrosion inhibitor tomorrow, then out with the rattlecan black methinks.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The bike I bought today is a candidate for ratting... it's fucking horrid. Lots of corrosion inhibitor tomorrow, then out with the rattlecan black methinks.

Pics or it didn't happen Mr. Green

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen Mr. Green

https://i.imgur.com/tjvs3bF.jpg

You can't see the rust up close... but shit, there's plenty of it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/tjvs3bF.jpg

You can't see the rust up close... but shit, there's plenty of it.
Have you been in an accident between two cars?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would explain a lot... but no, apparently, they're meant to look like that.

I don't think anyone would be upset if it got ratted.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Looks ok for a little 125 cruiser to knock about on.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

The pictures make it look far better than it is. It's nasty. Rust everywhere. Seat is toast. Indicators are held on with insulating tape, paint is toast, as are any graphics. Mismatched pegs, left peg rubber held on with jubilee clips.

And it's a cruiser... Not my cup of tea.

But, it was very, very cheap.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
UnspeedySam wrote:

The pictures make it look far better than it is. It's nasty. Rust everywhere. Seat is toast. Indicators are held on with insulating tape, paint is toast, as are any graphics. Mismatched pegs, left peg rubber held on with jubilee clips.

And it's a cruiser... Not my cup of tea.

But, it was very, very cheap.

Sounds like my kind of bike! Except the cruiser part...

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various different types of rat. Track rats, neglect rats etc.

Anything intentional is scene.

My Bandit is a track rat, there is no attempt to maintain cosmetic condition and it's built to be as cheap and effective as possible.

There are dents in the wastegate cap as it holds so much spring load in the cap to make boost that it can only be removed by using 2 welding clamps that cut into the aluminium.

The fairings have been hacked about to take clip-ons which simply don't fit on a standard Bandit. There are gouges and semi-cuts on the fairing from where I was making marks to cut the plastics to fit them.

The underside is covered in rubber and drag prep glue from numerous deceased tyres and straightline events, to the point the rear lights can barely be seen.

The exhaust is squared off on the bottom from scratching at the weekends, the air filter on the turbo is equally squared off.

The exhaust side is covered in soot and oil from the over rich exhaust and 'that'll do' catch can.

The entirely necessary underbrace of the swingarm is dented from hitting rocks and speed bumps that get in the way on the commute to work... In the pouring rain.

The bike in OP is a scene bike. Nothing looks like that unless it is MADE to look like that. Same as VW scene kids deliberately ruining the paint of a perfectly good motor to make it rusty.

My SV650 is a rat. Front end was fucked so got a FZ1000s front end I had lying around. Bodywork no longer had mounts so was binned. Motor smokes like a train over 5k as the rings are shot, ignored. Subframe was bent so cut it off. Numberplate is the rear mudguard/loom protecter. Tank looks like the surface of the moon...

https://s4.postimg.org/76cg4vw4d/20160920_185254.jpg

She's good.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:48 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my tank is just bare metal with countless spillages of various mixes of fuels and oils, and it just doesn't rust. It's turned a sort dark brown colour but the usual rust rot has just never set in. The high lead content of that old style bike tank metal doesn't rust nearly as bad as something like a 1980's Kawasaki. I had a disintegrating GT550 that once that literally srpung a fuel leak from the rust behind the tank badge as I was riding it one day. They were known for it. But this old school Bantam tank from the 50's has never done that. There's a few small flecks of red paint still on the tank in a couple of places but it was basically already like it is now when I had it given to me about 25 years ago. I doubt it's had any paint on it since the 1960's.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I slipped while holding a rattle can. Metric fucktons of corrosion inhibitor applied, then matt blacked over. Wheels next, when I can be arsed taking them off.

https://i.imgur.com/qZ8fQma.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lRdGEv2.jpg

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it better now. Laughing

Still needs those stupid bars replaced though...and the seat made higher...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renthals, or renthal-a-likes, are going on it.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Renthals, or renthal-a-likes, are going on it.

Good!

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Faggotory and I'm not just talking about the Loser plate on the front fork.

This is what I consider a rat bike.

https://i.imgur.com/iqd8utb.png

Ridden all year round. It has real battle scars not ones I have painted on.

And you clean it with fairy liquid!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody bike has 1" bars, which massively limits bar choice. Think I have a solution, but we'll have to wait for the slowboat from China.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time MOT testers started using the "general vehicle condition" criteria to get these junkers off the road. Such scruffy machinery only serves to lower the image of motorcycling and there's no excuse for it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:06 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Time MOT testers started using the "general vehicle condition" criteria to get these junkers off the road. Such scruffy machinery only serves to lower the image of motorcycling and there's no excuse for it.

https://i.imgur.com/OkX8pZy.jpg

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/OkX8pZy.jpg

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder27/500x/61028027/classy-dog-yes-quite-i-concur.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Blue, in some ways.

Deliberately tatty machinery or things cobbled together just well enough to work but not work anything like as well as they could or are meant to are a shoddy approach to motoring and do give a piss poor image of vehicles to general public.

I could spend up to £5-6k next spring on a big bike, but theres nothing modern new or lightly used at that price that gets me a hard on.

Im continuing to spunk away money on my 125, for something to do really, and I've got some rusty headed bolts and fasteners dotted around the bike, due to crap nickel plating. Im toying with the idea of replacing a few of them.(maybe) with titanium fasteners, just to say my 30yr old learner bike has a bit of titanium on it somewhere.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, some of us still don't give a fuck what the general public thinks our image. It's my bike, I've paid for it, so I get to decide. Fuck the public image.

My bikes will always be mechanically decent, but I really I don't like polishing, or chrome. Some people like polishing and chrome, but haven't got a clue about making a bike mechanically sound. I know which one I'd rather ride.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4