Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tuition fees interest go up to 6.1% for Brits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Tuition fees interest go up to 6.1% for Brits Reply with quote

That should help pay for the 700 free places given to foreign students, by the British government, every year.... with your tax money Laughing

The significance of the Chevening scholarship scheme rests on its large scope – approximately 700 scholarships are awarded each year to students from more than 110 countries, allowing students from developing countries to access British tertiary education institutions, some of which are of a very high standard as determined by international rankings.[4] In this way the Chevening scheme is more similar to the US Fulbright Scholarships which bring students from 140 countries to the US [5] and differs from the Rhodes Scholarship scheme which currently allows applications from approximately 18 countries.[6] Winners of Chevening scholarships often receive coverage in national and local newspapers.[7][8][9]

Applications are made online via a web portal[11] in October of each year, except for some sponsored scholarships for which applicants apply via the co-sponsoring organisation. Scholarship applicants also apply directly to their preferred universities in the UK, usually for Master's degree courses. Most scholarships include a living stipend, airfares and the full or partial cost of tuition fees.

The most popular destinations for study in 2011 were the London School of Economics & Political Science, University College London, and the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, University of Nottingham, University of Bath and King's College London.[1]

There are an estimated 45,000 Chevening Scholarship alumni!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevening_Scholarship

The government managed to keep that little gem quiet didn't they? Wink

The government could give your kids free education and pay their living costs, but they would rather give it to foreigners. Remember that when your local MP knocks and asks if you'll be voting for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strategic.

The only reason I'm living and working in China now is because their government gave me a full free scholarship for a year. It gets me and many others speaking and interested in Chinese, many of whom will go on to do international business stuff between their home country and China. The same goes for the Chevening stuff, where the brightest and best from around the world will be part-indoctrinated by the UK and thus may act as a benefit for the nation at some later date. In fact that's the whole reason for foreign aid and giveaways in general - it opens, creates and/or maintains new markets with which to do business.

6.1% rise in tuition fee interest however is a farce. Got any source for that news? Pretty sure it renders the contract void, because I certainly never agreed to a change in terms. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Oh but the SLC is a government body so they can do what they want? Thinking . I suspect they know full well that the majority of loans aren't going to be paid back anyway. Might as well do a Corbyn and accept that the taxpayer will have to take it on the chin somehow. Better to get it properly costed in the budget than to retroactively slap an interest rate on loans that still might not even be paid back. They're cooking the books, basically. More total idiocy from the Tory accounting team.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:22 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Tuition fees interest go up to 6.1% for Brits Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

The government managed to keep that little gem quiet didn't they? Wink

You not knowing about it is more a reflection on your inability to qualify for it. Maybe if you'd been brighter you'd have discovered the world of bursaries and awards.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:07 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
the brightest and best from around the world will be part-indoctrinated by the [host country]

But... you got a scholarship. Eh?

Lord Percy wrote:
I suspect they know full well that the majority of loans aren't going to be paid back anyway.

Indeed, and chasing them costs more. I'm near the HQ bunker of the SLC-is-a-scam and can assure you that they're doing all right out of the wheeze.

A graduate tax would be more honest and transparent (of course all taxation is theft) and could be administered by HMRC for essentially no cost (specifically, no cost to me).

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
the brightest and best from around the world will be part-indoctrinated by the [host country]

But... you got a scholarship. Eh?

Laughing

Forgot to mention, the China ones are chucked out like confetti. Clever little me knew what their plan was though - to get more of the world experiencing, understanding and chatting about China. Seems to be working. No denying I've been part-indoctrinated by my host country, heh.

I definitely only got my place through pot luck though. China government chucked two places at my uni and the deadline was so short that only 12 people applied, so it was a relatively easy win. In my defence I did consistently come top of the class while I was over there.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
unless they piss off to China China China to stitch up the tax payer or Corbyn gets in and keeps his vote catching lie.

The naivety of some of the callers was frightening. They had no understanding of budgeting or the value of money. The student loan is seen like some sort of never never credit card.

Funny how much hate you have for those you live among.

Not sure I've even once seen any mention from you about those banks who stitched up the taxpayer for about 20 years worth of economic growth. Or how about pre-1998 students who didn't have to pay anything at all Shocked Now that's what I call a never-never credit card. But you carry on hand picking your rage ingredients to suit your personal taste Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

You not knowing about it is more a reflection on your inability to qualify for it. Maybe if you'd been brighter you'd have discovered the world of bursaries and awards.

I do know about them, I'm the opening poster. For someone judging intelligence, you don't see to have much of it.

More interesting though is that you are angered by my spreading the word about how this money is being spent, which suggests I'm doing the right thing. Thanks for the validation!

The best way to get free stuff in Britain is to be an ethnic minority (London ethnic majority), female and a 'fugee.

Lord Percy wrote:
It's strategic.

The only reason I'm living and working in China now is because their government gave me a full free scholarship for a year. It gets me and many others speaking and interested in Chinese, many of whom will go on to do international business stuff between their home country and China. The same goes for the Chevening stuff, where the brightest and best from around the world will be part-indoctrinated by the UK and thus may act as a benefit for the nation at some later date. In fact that's the whole reason for foreign aid and giveaways in general - it opens, creates and/or maintains new markets with which to do business.

6.1% rise in tuition fee interest however is a farce. Got any source for that news? Pretty sure it renders the contract void, because I certainly never agreed to a change in terms. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Oh but the SLC is a government body so they can do what they want? Thinking . I suspect they know full well that the majority of loans aren't going to be paid back anyway. Might as well do a Corbyn and accept that the taxpayer will have to take it on the chin somehow. Better to get it properly costed in the budget than to retroactively slap an interest rate on loans that still might not even be paid back. They're cooking the books, basically. More total idiocy from the Tory accounting team.

Unlikely to be any benefit for most Brits. Actually they are likely to lose out as the "trade" is likely to be the outsourcing of their job. Benefiting Britain and British people is generally the last item on the list as we see it's Londoners, migrants and refugees that take priority for the government (see Grenfell Giveaway, DfID). It's taxpayers money so the benefit must be to the average Brit.

As for the interest rise, this is going to really hurt the economy long term as it effectively hikes up taxes on the younger generation who are also expected to pay £450k for a house and pay for a family. So the question is, will they start skipping costs like having children?

Source: BBC front page
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40936283
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/students-to-pay-6-1-interest-rate-on-loans-qs8ndmdmd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Or how about pre-1998 students who didn't have to pay anything at all Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/Y5OAEAh.png?1

S'OK, my taxes are paying for Johhny Abroadlanders' scholarships now. That's punishment enough.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:06 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A total of 532,300 people entered UK higher education in 2015

Quote:
approximately 700 scholarships are awarded each year

You are moaning about 0.13% of the total number of students each year.

I'd consider adjusting your priorities.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Give me 0.13% of your net worth.

No moaning, it's a trivial amount.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The stated objective of the scheme is to build a network of friends of the UK, who will be future leaders in their countries.

How to make friends and influence people...

The UK wants to be powerful on the global stage, and creating positive relations with potential movers and shakers from other countries helps with achieving that. Promoting political change in foreign countries, or promoting trade with the UK.

Quote:
Unlikely to be any benefit for most Brits. Actually they are likely to lose out as the "trade" is likely to be the outsourcing of their job.

And that is your esteemed opinion I assume?
Increasing the global standing of the UK is of no benefit to most brits?
Promoting western values to influential foreigners is of no benefit?
Creating trade opportunities which increase the UKs GDP doesn't help anyone?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:43 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Give me 0.13% of your net worth.

No moaning, it's a trivial amount.

I'll give you a hat for your straw man if you want?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
6.1% rise in tuition fee interest however is a farce. Got any source for that news? Pretty sure it renders the contract void, because I certainly never agreed to a change in terms. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Oh but the SLC is a government body so they can do what they want? Thinking

Paid off mine early Dance!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:10 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

The student they had on, seemed to think it was the norm to never pay it back and had ran up £45K so far.

Half are too thick to realise it's a real debt, which when they earn over a certain amount, they'll have to pay pack, unless they piss off to China China China to stitch up the tax payer or Corbyn gets in and keeps his vote catching lie.

The naivety of some of the callers was frightening. They had no understanding of budgeting or the value of money. The student loan is seen like some sort of never never credit card.

It is a never never credit card, in so far as the debt gets written off after a certain time limit.

According to institute of fiscal studies, 77% will never pay it off. If you assume that you'll never pay it off then:

- The fact that the amount you repay is based purely on your salary means it makes no odds to the student whether they have a £30k loan or a £130k loan. Overall repayment will be exactly the same.
- It doesn't matter if the interest rate is 1.25% or 6.1% or 12.5%. They can keep stacking more debt on, all that changes is the amount that remains unpaid at the end.
- The effective interest is so low that there is essentially no benefit to paying off more than the minimum. Any extra money is better put towards a mortgage, other debts or into savings.

I get an annual statement for my student loan, and as a reasonably well paid pre-2012 graduate I will almost certainly end up paying off my loan. For the majority however, they would have to be mugs to pay more than the minimum, while waiting for it to be written off.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Quote:
A total of 532,300 people entered UK higher education in 2015

Quote:
approximately 700 scholarships are awarded each year

I'd consider adjusting your priorities.

If we abolish the foreign aid budget I will stop complaining about this programme. Until then all these sideline giveaways shall be complained about as they collectively constitute a mega giveaway.

I notice that nobody puts these giveaways in the manifestos either. They are quite happy to keep the British public in the dark about them, while advertising them in foreign newspapers. This suggests that they know what they are doing is wwrong and that the public would not approve.

pudder wrote:

How to make friends and influence people...

The UK wants to be powerful on the global stage, and creating positive relations with potential movers and shakers from other countries helps with achieving that. Promoting political change in foreign countries, or promoting trade with the UK.

The devil is in the detail. Who is "the UK"? It's not the average British person that's benefits from this, that's for sure. We know this because the government doesn't want to tell the cattle class about the programme.

pudder wrote:

And that is your esteemed opinion I assume?
Increasing the global standing of the UK is of no benefit to most brits?
Promoting western values to influential foreigners is of no benefit?
Creating trade opportunities which increase the UKs GDP doesn't help anyone?

In the context of higher frees for taxpayers children while giving away 700 places to foreigners.

Liberals should just admit it, they hate indigenous British people from their whites only village where they force their son to wear a dress and drink avocado soup to show their neighbours how progressive they are.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9a/df/ac/9adface76cc889d2fb6432c8e19e722a--vans-vw-blue-bus.jpg

https://www.extremehealthradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hippies3.jpg

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So we have an entire generation of "student graduates" who have no ambition to earn over £21,000 before they reach their late 40's/early 50's. Awesome.

Civil war will kick in way before that happens.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:23 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Liberals

Are you sure that's what you mean?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A graduate tax would be more honest and transparent (of course all taxation is theft) and could be administered by HMRC for essentially no cost (specifically, no cost to me).

Yes, but another way of payment that encourages graduates to move out of the UK so they don't have to pay it back.

Lord Percy wrote:
Or how about pre-1998 students who didn't have to pay anything at all Shocked Now that's what I call a never-never credit card.

Paid nothing yes, but no cheap loans for the extra money they needed (even if they got a full loan, and many wouldn't).

All the best

Katy

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Lord Percy wrote:

Funny how much hate you have for those you live among.

Not sure I've even once seen any mention from you about those banks who stitched up the taxpayer for about 20 years worth of economic growth. Or how about pre-1998 students who didn't have to pay anything at all Shocked Now that's what I call a never-never credit card. But you carry on hand picking your rage ingredients to suit your personal taste Thumbs Up

Touched a nerve did I, you sponging, work dodging, Peter Pan style adult student, twat? Laughing

Laughing No nerves touched at all, you div. Just pointing out the obvious. Might even call it trolling now as your responses are so predictable.

Understandable if it doesn't get through to you though. One of the most insightful things I ever learned was from an old Australian workmate: "You can't ever tell a dumb cunt he's a dumb cunt!" Wink

You do appear to be suffering from a chronic case of whatever it is that Daily Mail readers tend to suffer from. Main symptom is utter contempt for all the wrong people; being an absolute sucker for all the diversionary tactics and hysterical media output used to keep the proles hating each other. Classic 1984 stuff. Are you capable of reading that book yet? You really think university students and a few workshy dole grabbers are the ones causing the most problems for the UK economy Laughing Laughing Laughing . Point proven.

You also still continue to call me a Peter Pan student. Presumably because it suits the narrative you're trying to push.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So we have an entire generation of "student graduates" who have no ambition to earn over £21,000 before they reach their late 40's/early 50's. Awesome.

A graduate earning 35k would have a monthly salary over a grand higher than one earning 21k and would have to pay back roughly 100 quid a month on student loan.

No incentive?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3