Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tuition fees interest go up to 6.1% for Brits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Has a handy side effect of making people considering going to university actually think about whether it's worth their while. That's no bad thing.

We'll see. Applications are apparently down a bit this year, so expect Politics of Sociology in Anthropology departments to start shrieking about funding soon.

On the other hand, if the perception is that everyone is getting one and everyone needs one - including prison screws for the love of allah - then there's still a strong incentive to extend your childhood for another three years on "free" money.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The trade off then is, is the debt worth it for the benefit it will bring in either increased salary or increased quality of life. Moreover, is the degree even necessary?

Will I get the position I want without a degree?
In most cases it probably shouldn't be too hard to find that out.

Will my lack of a degree prevent me from progressing further on in my career?
Far more difficult to answer, unless you have a very firm anticipated career progression. And even so, things don't always go to plan.

Is the debt worth it for the benefits of increased salary/quality of life?
You might know the starting salary, but who knows if you'll get a promotion, get laid off, wage increases. Whats going to happen with the economy at large? Will I get hit by a bus and be unable to work? Its a calculated guess, with lots of unknown factors.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:51 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I'll note that my current corporate overlords are mad keen on getting in students from the Glaswegian universities as interns and then offering them jobs based purely on their performance.

So whether they actually get a degree or not is neither here nor there. But I can't think of how a Yoof would get on our radar other than by being at university, given that we interviewed over 70(!) Student Grants for 5 intern slots. We're relying on the universities to pre-filter out the mongs for us and are already spoiled for choice.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if a non graduate yoof contacted your company directly?

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:21 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What if a non graduate yoof contacted your company directly?

Mark his CV as a proactive, bold, self-starter. Put it on the top of the pile, then hire the bosses son.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
Mark his CV as a proactive, bold, self-starter. Put it on the top of the pile, then hire the bosses son.

Say "nice try", bottom of the pile, and hire five Bulgarians and Cypriots, mdp72 will be delighted to hear.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Is it still free in scotchland?
If they have a 6.1% increase, what's 6.1% of £0?
All in it together! Laughing

I wonder if EU citizens will still get a free education in Scotland after you know what.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
As an aside, I'll note that my current corporate overlords are mad keen on getting in students from the Glaswegian universities as interns and then offering them jobs based purely on their performance.

So whether they actually get a degree or not is neither here nor there. But I can't think of how a Yoof would get on our radar other than by being at university, given that we interviewed over 70(!) Student Grants for 5 intern slots. We're relying on the universities to pre-filter out the mongs for us and are already spoiled for choice.

A private sector company in Scotland? Shocked Is it right on the English border? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3