BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filtering ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Filtering ? Reply with quote

Filtering. Is it an art, an attitude or a chance for the foolhardy and fearless to show off?

Now I've only had my bike long enough to do five commutes across London but I find it all a bit crazy. Don't get me wrong some of you look super smooth and in control but there are others out there who are quite frankly likely to do themselves or a car some serious damage on quite a regular basis. I know scooters are easy to chuck about but the number of people I've seen. Kindly overtaking on the wrong side of the road around a bend is staggering. Is this just a London a13 north circular thing?

I m getting a little more confident now but I have already found out that my wing mirrors are exactly the same height as those of a transit van. So does it get easier with experience and how do you know when to reign it in?

[/img]

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy, I nearly died a couple of times (early on) trying to filter like others. The North Circular does seem to be particularly mental, you often see bikes squeezing between two lorries at speed Neutral

I'd say it gets easier the more experienced you're, but keep in mind [safety nazi alert] it's probably where you're most likely to get into strife, so I still see it as risk vs reward. Also shimmy round those mirrors Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Now I've only had my bike long enough to do five commutes across London

You should buy a lottery ticket.

Go watch some RJ for inspiration. Spot your gap, take your gap and crack on with the ride.

Most importantly don't fanny around. You either want to go for a move or you don't, decide well ahead of time.

From what I've seen everything's always at a standstill anyway so you've not got much to worry about.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride at your own comfortable rate and move over for other bikes. You're not expected to be able to make progress like people who've been doing it for 20 years.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:53 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Ride at your own comfortable rate and move over for other bikes. You're not expected to be able to make progress like people who've been doing it for 20 years.

It's not the ones that have been doing it 20 years I worry about, it's the ones that have been doing it 20 seconds and think it's cool to treat it like a PlayStation game.

The biggest problem (and reason I no longer commute by bike, really) with London commuting I encountered were other bikes doing really stupid things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

.... Spot your gap, take your gap and crack on with the ride.

As someone with a little experience of filtering, there is more to it than just spotting a gap.. You also have to be able to anticipate what the other vehicles are likely to do, and that, to a large degree comes with experience, and you learn to tell when a driver isn't likely to keep an equal distance between them, and the vehicle in the other lane .. Then there's the ones that don't like the idea of bikes filtering past them, and they try to close the gap, then there are those who are too busy on their phone, and of course, there's the lane jumpers ..

You will over time start to learn the behavioural traits of other road users, and yes, even more expereinced, and/or more agressive bike riders who are also filtering.

That said, once your are comfortable with it, knowing you're knocking, occasionally hours off your journey, when compared to being in a car, is a particularly good feeling ! Thumbs Up Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be like the tit that leaves work the same time as me

flys down the opposite side of the road without thinking something may be coming into the estate (seen numerous near misses)

filters up a tight road on wrong side of double white lines (again seen him nearly knocked off

flys past junctions without thinking something may be turning in or out

he is on a 125cc knock off of a ybr without any L plates so think he has passed his test
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest tip I can give you is always be aware of your 'way out' if things go wrong. I.e make sure you can brake or swerve out the way in case someone decides to change lanes etc.

When making your move, make your move and get back to a good position. Don't half think about it and don't go, then go, then stop. If you've got that feeling, then just sit back and don't overtake.

Watch for side roads, and keep calm, with practice you'll get better, faster and safer.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
don't be like the tit that leaves work the same time as me

flys down the opposite side of the road without thinking something may be coming into the estate (seen numerous near misses)

filters up a tight road on wrong side of double white lines (again seen him nearly knocked off

flys past junctions without thinking something may be turning in or out

he is on a 125cc knock off of a ybr without any L plates so think he has passed his test

I've seen this guy near Botley in Hampshire. Did a total hero overtake on me right before a tight right corner and he just kept it on the road (rear tyre was almost off the tarmac and into dirt while he was lent reet over) as he was carrying too much speed into the corner and then had to brake really hard so as to not rear end the pickup that was now right in front of him. Shocked
He then proceeded to overtake on double white lines while oncoming vehicles took evading action. Laughing

Filtering's easy once you get your eye in and have a good feel for the bike. Don't rush it or pressure yourself unnecessarily. You're much better off seeing gaps and knowing you could have used them rather than going for one and finding out you can't. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:11 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And evaluate honestly whether each manoeuvre will actually help you to take time off of your journey, rather than just giving you longer to wait at the next set of lights.

I know London has different rules and sometimes it's the only way to actually make progress. Just figure out where it does help, and where you're adding risk for no reward.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:39 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It's not the ones that have been doing it 20 years I worry about, it's the ones that have been doing it 20 seconds and think it's cool to treat it like a PlayStation game.

Do you not also just smash the X button when you come off? Seems to respawn.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:50 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That RJ is actually insane btw - im pretty sure he just does it for fun he's that good

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been commuting around 4 years in London and I'm still one of the slower riders out there simply because I see too many take silly risks everywhere. Like Roger mentioned you have to think if it's worth filtering in the first place, there's been many times I've caught up to the fast filtering guys at the lights once the cars have stopped moving due to traffic making things quite a bit safer.

Unless you're speeding pretty bad you're unlikely to make the lights either way. Just make sure you ride at a comfortable pace so you don't goof and just move over to the side for faster riders. There are a lot of idiots riding in London, a lot of them love tailgating too so you have to be on the lookout. Also I'm not convinced RJ is the safest, some of the maneuvers he's pulled right next to lorries is just scary.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think minimising the speed differential between you and the traffic you're filtering through (ie, whether they are stationary or moving) is one of the key safety tips. 15-20 mph is plenty for me - and I'll happily pull over for any of you lot trying to crawl up my can...

Talking of other drivers' responses to filtering - the other day I was pootling along the empty offside lane, overtaking a long queue of stationary traffic (at 15-20 mph, natch); way down the road I saw a lorry coming towards me which meant I would need to abort. Found a gap in my lane no problem, and pulled in to it, coming to a gentle halt on my side of the centre line and waited; the lorry was at least 200 yards away at this point. As he came past me (it was a wide lane, so he was 4 or 5 feet away), I got the full horns plus lots of wild gesticulation. Quite bizarre. Especially as there was enough room that a lot of bikers would probably have kept right on filtering Rolling Eyes

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

The biggest problem (and reason I no longer commute by bike, really) with London commuting I encountered were other bikes doing really stupid things.

Early days, I will put my hands up and say I was a dick when filtering in London. It's really a wonder how I'm still here really.

But over time my sense of mortality has risen and I don't do what I used to.

But, OP, North Circ you will see an incredible variety of filtering. 8am on a Tuesday is chocka the whole way and you'll have every type of bike going through at every level of speed and caution.

As has been said: look ahead at least 3 or 4 cars, look for what front wheels are doing, don't tailgate other filterers and move over for faster filterers and one thing a lot of people forget (Including me) is that there may be side roads that intersect the road you're filtering on and therefore the gap in the cars ahead is not down to an idle driver, but because a car is turning across the traffic.

Experience teaches you traffic habits and gets you more comfortable with with what you can get away with. A solid couple of weeks filtering every day in London will see your "progress" progress considerably.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

commuting in London the majority of my journey is filtering, however my concern isn't usually other cars, it is other motorcyclists, especially scooters, majority of them must have a death wish. I generally stay well clear of any other rider on the roads, half of them do zero shoulder checks and many will ride alongside parallel to you which is very dangerous imo as if someone swerves in their lane or they go for an overtake and don't do a shoulder check then they are going straight into the side of another motorbike

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 12:10 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just whatever you decide to do, don't be that fucking prick who blocks off the filter lane because he's too much of a fanny to realise he can fit through the gap. Thumbs Up

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Yup, I nearly T-boned a bike a little while back, he'd gone from between lane 4/5 where he'd been going slow and not allowing me to pass despite the fact I could get through gaps he was not even trying (different bikes and different abilities)

The m'way widened out to 5 lanes, I was taking the twin lane slip onto another motorway so had moved across and now between lane 2/3

In standing traffic he turned 90 degrees across the front of a lorry and popped out right in front of me, about 3ft in front of me. I'd slowed down expecting him to do something stupid so didn't hit him.

coming back to the OP,

if you don't think you can fit, don't try it, wait for the gap to change, as traffic moves the gaps open and close and they also widen and narrow as vehicles don't stay dead central in their lane (and remember, a flashing indicator only means one thing, that the bulb works!)

each vehicle you pass is it's own overtake, check you've somewhere to actually end up before going through, you might get half way though the gap and find that the next overtake has lined up nicely for you, or it might have closed up a bit and you have to wait it out.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And evaluate honestly whether each manoeuvre will actually help you to take time off of your journey, rather than just giving you longer to wait at the next set of lights.

I know London has different rules and sometimes it's the only way to actually make progress. Just figure out where it does help, and where you're adding risk for no reward.

Yup. Drives me nuts.

Here is a great example of where risk just isn't worth the reward. The crossing is tight, has 2 offset busy ish side roads, a narrow pavement to one side which crams full of people, and an obscured vision around the corner. It's also narrow enough that with a decent size transit van coming down towards you, you'd struggle not to be hit by it if you did get yourself caught in middle of road. It's a busy crossing in the morning, and the lights go red a lot as a result. Traffic builds up down the road as a result. Filtering occurs as a result.

Every morning I watch the idiots on bikes fly down the outside, past the first car at the crossing, over the stop line, and onto the crossing - so many of them to the point where they can't all get out of the oncoming lane, so then the lights change and everyone waits for the bikes to get out of the bloody way before anyone can go anywhere.

They then get to here which is a hugely busy junction which the lights stay red on, in that direction of travel, for ages.

The 10 seconds they've 'saved' themselves going super aggressive in crap circumstances they've 'spent' sitting at the next set of lights anyway.

It's idiocy.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:59 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedestrians and scooter riders are my biggest bugbear commenting in London. Some pedestrians are just oblivious to filtering motorbikes and will cut in-between cars to cross roads, thinking that because the cars have stopped, it’s safe to cross. Had so many near misses with people being arseholes, crossing at crossings when the lights were green for me, walking into the road using their phone, oblivious to everyone around them.

Scooter riders think they’re untouchable and will zip around like mentalists with little or no regard for other road users.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
.................... filter lane ................ Thumbs Up

There's an actual filter lane, who'd have thunk it !

9 times out of 10, the bikes sat behind you, perstering you, because you're too slow, don't actually go any quicker than you do once you let them pass you by, as it's now them that is attempting to be the Moses of the road !

Laughing Laughing

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many bikes on my commute, but on the odd occasion I see idiotic filtering, it's usually from chav types with L plates and non-learner legal 125 'crossers. There are a surprising amount of bikers who sit in traffic and don't filter, even when there is plenty of room to do so, and in doing so would enable them to get through a set of lights in time.

In summary, I think it is an effective tool if used properly, but it's easy to fall into the trap of "must filter all the time", because sometimes it's not worth it to save you a few seconds.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you'll ever need to know about filtering:

It's fine if you don't potato yourself. Having nasty loud can help.

You have been warned Thumbs Up

Also if you decide to filter in London (its fine not to) go all the way and move decisively in front of the first car on traffic lights.

You don't want to be besides the front car you must be in front of him blocking the way. This way you avoid been squeezed.

If you need to cross traffic stop line with your front tire so be it. Your safety is more important than some paint lines on a tarmac.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:35 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Go watch some RJ for inspiration.

But note how many of his clips involve him howling away from a set of lights, doing the dodgy-weavy, then fade out abruptly as he brakes hard for the next red light.

Personally I prefer to learn light timings and roll up just as they change rather than doing wheelie-stoppie then finger drumming.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As he came past me (it was a wide lane, so he was 4 or 5 feet away), I got the full horns plus lots of wild gesticulation. Quite bizarre. Especially as there was enough room that a lot of bikers would probably have kept right on filtering Rolling Eyes

Yep had that before, I regularly get an angry beep from a cager stuck in their traffic jam Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4