Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filtering ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As he came past me (it was a wide lane, so he was 4 or 5 feet away), I got the full horns plus lots of wild gesticulation. Quite bizarre. Especially as there was enough room that a lot of bikers would probably have kept right on filtering Rolling Eyes

Yep had that before, I regularly get an angry beep from a cager stuck in their traffic jam Very Happy

Only every now and again, but it's really odd behavior 👍

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Filtering ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
So does it get easier with experience and how do you know when to reign it in?

Yes and yes. While there is always someone out there to surprise you with stupidity you do start to predict the movement of traffic much better and learn the easiest/best places to filter. It's also worth getting off roads with limited filtering space even if your route might be slightly longer it could save you much time.

It may sound odd but I never rush when filtering in London, having done thousands of journeys and miles through the capital the difference in time between me trying to red line it between every set of lights and me filtering along at leisure is about 5 minutes on my commute,from M25 to Piccadilly Circus. Just chill, anticipate the unexpected and be ready to stop, pedestrians do jump out at you but in my experience they hurt less than cars. If there is an arsehole up your arse pull in when there is a gap, let them get on with trying to make that 5 mins up. There is no point in stressing your self out when it takes less than 10 seconds to pull in and let them past.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Go watch some RJ for inspiration
AshWebster wrote:
That RJ is actually insane btw - im pretty sure he just does it for fun he's that good
Rogerborg wrote:
But note how many of his clips involve him howling away from a set of lights, doing the dodgy-weavy, then fade out abruptly as he brakes hard for the next red light

Pray, who is this RJ of which you speak? #stillanewbie

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Jordanian on YouTube

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:11 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
NJD wrote:
Go watch some RJ for inspiration
AshWebster wrote:
That RJ is actually insane btw - im pretty sure he just does it for fun he's that good
Rogerborg wrote:
But note how many of his clips involve him howling away from a set of lights, doing the dodgy-weavy, then fade out abruptly as he brakes hard for the next red light

Pray, who is this RJ of which you speak? #stillanewbie

read above post. He's one of them like when you watch a guitarist shred it up, just makes you want to put down your guitar cos you'll never be that good. Same thing with him and filtering :p

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Royal Jordanian on YouTube

Ah right, thanks - yeah, have come across him: impressive filtererer indeed.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's worth watching ...

https://youtu.be/Q29inP2m3do

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Yep had that before, I regularly get an angry beep from a cager stuck in their traffic jam Very Happy

I've found drivers to be pretty nice for the most part (it's not uncommon for cars to move right to the edge of their lane to let me through, even though there was plenty of space before they moved), a few who are just oblivious and sit on the white lines and only 1 guy who actually got irate.
Proper irate mind you, beeping, gesticulating, even chased me along the centre line to try and make his point.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:19 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been through London once in the last couple of years and, to be honest, filtering on the exup (before it died) was the same as anywhere else.

(Was going to lewisham so M4 to parliament square, turn right and then left ant the elephant and castle to follow the old kent road was the route in)

What took me time to get used to was doing 50 in 30's following my brother round lewisham, catford, new cross and bromley because 'cops don't chase bikes....'

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:20 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
I've found drivers to be pretty nice for the most part (it's not uncommon for cars to move right to the edge of their lane to let me through, even though there was plenty of space before they moved), a few who are just oblivious and sit on the white lines and only 1 guy who actually got irate.
Proper irate mind you, beeping, gesticulating, even chased me along the centre line to try and make his point.

Around my area many drivers make room and it's almost unknown nowadays for them to try to block a filtering bike. A change from say 20 years ago when only a few would make room, and a few would even try to block.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

I had a BMW try and change lanes while I was by his window, no idea what he was trying to achieve, there was a lorry trailer to our left

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's addictive. In a previous incarnation I would filter anything, to the point of topic get the bike around Wong mirrors.

For most people there's a gap between when confidence comes in, and when the skill is really there. It's not a problem if you are aware of it but it's where s lit of people come a cropper

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonbee56
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Just whatever you decide to do, don't be that fucking prick who blocks off the filter lane because he's too much of a fanny to realise he can fit through the gap. Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

& then don't take notice of the queue behind him blipping their throttles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:32 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very decent filter along the A406 this afternoon. One or two knobbers who saw me coming and moved over towards me but mostly they didn't care/notice.

Sat nav had me down as a 12.30 ETA..I got there at 12.00 so 30 mins quicker.

Even as a novice biker I have to say, winging it down a line of cars is rather satisfying Smile

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
I had a very decent filter along the A406 this afternoon. One or two knobbers who saw me coming and moved over towards me but mostly they didn't care/notice.

Even as a novice biker I have to say, winging it down a line of cars is rather satisfying Smile

I think you can spot the ones that do it on purpose a mile away. Most of them that "glide" towards blocking me are doing it automatically because they are looking towards me in their mirror.

The ones that do it on purpose are much more dramatic at it and almost cross the white line to stop my progress. Rolling Eyes

Leaving a transit vans width on their right for me to dive through Smile Laughing Makes me laugh every time Smile Smile Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
TbirdX wrote:

I think you can spot the ones that do it on purpose a mile away. Most of them that "glide" towards blocking me are doing it automatically because they are looking towards me in their mirror.

The ones that do it on purpose are much more dramatic at it and almost cross the white line to stop my progress. Rolling Eyes

Leaving a transit vans width on their right for me to dive through Smile Laughing Makes me laugh every time Smile Smile Smile

I'm not an advocate of motorcycle militancy but those people should lose their mirrors.

</Rufous>

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done it yet. Been close a few times - but it's always on routes I do regularly so don't want to risk a random revenge knock days / weeks later. 👍

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Not done it yet. Been close a few times - but it's always on routes I do regularly so don't want to risk a random revenge knock days / weeks later. 👍

Long as you don't engage a KTM rider you'll be fine.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go near Essex luckily 😂

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you always have a safe exit, don't put yourself in a position where you're fucked if the lights change to green earlier than you thought.

Be aware of how large vehicles turn, especially at tighter corners/junctions.

Learn to spot who's on phone/facebook or checking the map for directions.

Be super careful when transitioning from lane center to filter position or other position where you could come into confilct with another rider approaching behind you.

Don't be the twat on a pan (or other wide bike) that takes the easy but pointless gain only to get stuck and hold up everyone else.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I don't go near Essex luckily 😂

Wots rong with Essex bruv?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask goto10. Smile

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:24 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essex is the centre of the Uniwhatsit innit.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/KgyOLqf.gifv

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go somewhere like bali, Then you will understand the true meaning of filtering. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4