Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
I'd rather pay a bit more and have the piece of mind from a dealer than buy private

https://i.imgur.com/NDY1tIJ.png

rpsmith79 wrote:
Only fails on the MOT

Is the history consistent with the claimed mileage? Written off?

I only ask because they've carefully not shown the plate in the advert.

rpsmith79 wrote:
A warranty from the AA, whats the problem with that?

I have no idea what that means.

It's probably fine, and it's not a daft price if the mileage is legit and the consumables are all good.

How was the test ride?

Yep, mileage all stacks up against the previous MOT's

It means the warranty is with The AA, what else can it mean, but i'd expect an AA warranty to be at least worth some of the paper it's written on, and having been an AA member for some 10 years now i have never had any issues with them thus far (and used them a fair few times, especially this past 12 months with my old wanky Scirocco)

It's going to get a service and fresh MOT at that price too

Haven't test ridden it, but should anything be untoward i have confidence in the dealers based on local recommendations

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with the AA warranty is that it will almost certainly exclude "wear and tear"

Which on a 14 year old bike will be ... everything?

If it breaks, the Dealer will refer you to the AA (thereby shirking his statutory responsibilities) and the AA will say "wear and tear!" and you'll be left with .... well, a very pretty receipt.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
The issue with the AA warranty is that it will almost certainly exclude "wear and tear"

Which on a 14 year old bike will be ... everything?

If it breaks, the Dealer will refer you to the AA (thereby shirking his statutory responsibilities) and the AA will say "wear and tear!" and you'll be left with .... well, a very pretty receipt.

Isn't that the same with all warranties though, i'm not expecting to have to use it though, and by the dealer offering it i expect they have confidence in the bikes they sell too, its the dealers that don't offer any sort of warranty i would buy from

And as said, i got about 30 recommendations from the local biking FB group who only had good things to say about the dealer, now they either have plenty of fake accounts setup and lay in wait till anyone asks about them, or they genuinely are a decent dealer (as for as dealers go)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:53 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Neato. Poor bike, go and spank it.

rpsmith79 wrote:
It means the warranty is with The AA, what else can it mean

I honestly don't know. https://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/aa-warranty.php says that they cover "passenger cars, vans and light commercial vehicles".

Written off vehicles are excluded, which is why I asked about that.

"Wear and tear" is excluded, which is fair enough, but on a 14 year old bike I'm not sure what wouldn't be.

It's certainly an interesting take on it, and I would rather trust an explicit contract with a 3rd party than a dealer. I hope you don't have to use it, but am gagging to know if it's worth anything in practice.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Neato. Poor bike, go and spank it.

rpsmith79 wrote:
It means the warranty is with The AA, what else can it mean

I honestly don't know. https://www.vcars.co.uk/used-cars/aa-warranty.php says that they cover "passenger cars, vans and light commercial vehicles".

Written off vehicles are excluded, which is why I asked about that.

"Wear and tear" is excluded, which is fair enough, but on a 14 year old bike I'm not sure what wouldn't be.

It's certainly an interesting take on it, and I would rather trust an explicit contract with a 3rd party than a dealer. I hope you don't have to use it, but am gagging to know if it's worth anything in practice.

It's the AA at the end of the day, not some warranty from "We Supply Any Warranty" or whatever you have never heard of

As i said, i'm not expecting to have to use it, but some piece of mind if it does go tits up in the first few months of owning it

Not that it will be getting a whole lot of use as the hike in insurance to add commuting cover for the remainder of the 6 months cover (along wit the new bike) is going to be around £240, but without commuting a more reasonable £140, and i can't see me using it that much over the ensuing Winter months to warrant paying an extra £100

So it will be left off till next years renewal when i will hopefully have a years NCD under my belt

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Not that it will be getting a whole lot of use as the hike in insurance to add commuting cover for the remainder of the 6 months cover (along wit the new bike) is going to be around £240, but without commuting a more reasonable £140, and i can't see me using it that much over the ensuing Winter months to warrant paying an extra £100

So it will be left off till next years renewal when i will hopefully have a years NCD under my belt

Doesn't matter as long as you don't answer "I was going to work".

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Doesn't matter as long as you don't answer "I was going to work".

Yes, i was doing a bit of Googling around this over the weekend to see if/how people get caught out on this

It's not like i will be using it as my sole commuting vehicle, just the odd fine weather day

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:11 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone, and after a weekend of bike viewings i have put a deposit down on a 2003 Honda CB600F S Hornet, won't be picking it up for a couple of weeks as i need to wait till payday....... going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life

I see your deposit didn't stop the dealer from keeping it advertised for sale and Bennetts' recommending it as a used buy. Whistle

So, anecdote, closure, needed.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone, and after a weekend of bike viewings i have put a deposit down on a 2003 Honda CB600F S Hornet, won't be picking it up for a couple of weeks as i need to wait till payday....... going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life

I see your deposit didn't stop the dealer from keeping it advertised for sale and Bennetts' recommending it as a used buy. Whistle

So, anecdote, closure, needed.

Well it's parked in my garage now, so i don't really care Wink

I did notice that they hadn't removed it from from their eBay page, but they had from their own website

But i have to say, i'm loving it so far, plenty of power for me for the foreseeable future

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud pictures always welcome Smile Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Proud pictures always welcome Smile Thumbs Up

Your wish is my command

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100230
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2