Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New speeding fines

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: New speeding fines Reply with quote

Balls - apparently I've been zapped by a mobile camera on the A690 at West Rainton - in the bloody car to add insult to injury .... Sad

Looking at the latest speed tax schedule, it looks like the good old £100 / 3 points tariff has been superseded by a proper financial f**king, which if my estimate is any where near pucka will see my wallet relieved of a good few hundred quid for 64 in a 50 Crying or Very sad

Has anyone else been surprised / shocked by the amount they've actually been fined recently for a relatively minor infringement

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. The fixed penalty scheme hasn't been replaced - I doubt the courts could cope if every speeding offence were prosecuted!

An FPN for a SP30 offence is still £100 and 3 points, and unless you're due to hit 12 points or more, then 64 in a 50 should see you receive the FPN offer. Depending on the Force, you might even receive an offer to attend a Speed Awareness Course, assuming you haven't attended one in the last 3 years. 64 could be just within the threshold.

What has changed is the guidelines for the value of fines which should be levied if found guilty in Court. So, unless you think that you might have a defence, you're probably best returning the NIP/S72 notice within the appropriate timeframe, and accepting the course or FPN offer.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, my new best mate, is very good news .... Smile

Cheers
Ian

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be forgiven for not knowing, due to the ridiculous ultra scare mongering way that the changes were reported.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
You can be forgiven for not knowing, due to the ridiculous ultra scare mongering way that the changes were reported.

Beat me to it!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:27 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see someone referring to a demand for a bribe to avoid prosecution as a "fine", I die a little inside. Crying or Very sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:52 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count yourself lucky. With victim theivery and costs, I'm looking at the thick end of £1k and 2 months enforced walking to station and getting the train.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Count yourself lucky. With victim theivery and costs, I'm looking at the thick end of £1k and 2 months enforced walking to station and getting the train.

Tell more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Every time I see someone referring to a demand for a bribe to avoid prosecution as a "fine", I die a little inside. Crying or Very sad

The bribe is now even more appealing than ever, so expect a bit more of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Balaclava, take lid off, take plates off - thug life. Less chance of being caught like that than carrying your ANPR pinging dog-tags.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:33 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Balaclava, take lid off, take plates off - thug life. Less chance of being caught like that than carrying your ANPR pinging dog-tags.

Work might not apprciate me turning up like that on the Strumpet every morning.

There's a good chance I'd get shot...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:35 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Work might not apprciate me turning up like that on the Strumpet every morning.

There's a good chance I'd get shot...

TheArchitect wrote:

Tell more

95 in a 50. I'm gonna offer to push back when they arse-rape me so they can tell that I'm properly penitent.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-69 wrote:
That, my new best mate, is very good news .... :

10%+2 is the usual measure, though not cast in stone.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:17 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You do know that the Police don't get any of the penalty, don't you? Although of course you're correct that a Fixed Penalty isn't a fine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

You do know that the Police don't get any of the penalty, don't you?

What? It doesn't go directly into the Retirement Fund? But they're corrvpt scvm.

Qyburn wrote:
Although of course you're correct that a Fixed Penalty isn't a fine.

Are you sure? I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
10%+2 is the usual measure, though not cast in stone.

For what?

That's more like the threshold for enforcement.

10%+9 tends to be the threshold for a speed awareness course IME.

As an example, see the third page of this document: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/sites/default/files/files/policies/traffic_offences.pdf

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:45 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

What is going on with that table? Device Tolerance is listed as 2mph at all speeds (n) but prosecution only occurs at 10% of limit + n? Why not have the limits at [(10% of limit +n)-1]? Why the grey area, so that Plod can bother you if he is having problems at home?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Alex A wrote:

What is going on with that table? Device Tolerance is listed as 2mph at all speeds (n) but prosecution only occurs at 10% of limit + n? Why not have the limits at [(10% of limit +n)-1]? Why the grey area, so that Plod can bother you if he is having problems at home?

It's so you can be nicked for doing 32 in a 30 limit when it's wet whilst approaching a crossing outside a school at chucking out time in December. Circumstances still make a difference to CPS.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's so you can be nicked for doing 32 in a 30 limit when it's wet whilst approaching a crossing outside a school at chucking out time in December. Circumstances still make a difference to CPS.

That'll be the often alluded to but seldom seen "discretion" then. I'd query how much of a difference 33 (prosecute) makes in those circumstances vs 32 (no prosecute) in those circumstances though (or any circumstances really).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:23 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That'll be the often alluded to but seldom seen "discretion" then. I'd query how much of a difference 33 (prosecute) makes in those circumstances vs 32 (no prosecute) in those circumstances though (or any circumstances really).

Lock up a wheel braking whilst being followed by a cop with a camera in his car whilst in the circumstances described above after having already pissed off the filth and see how quickly the CPS will prosecute.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1