Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking? Reply with quote

I know these insurance related questions have been asked to death, but I'm struggling to find someone to insure me for a good price.

I'm 30, I've had my full licence a number of years, but not ridden in ages, no NCB either.

I WAS insured with Bikesure/Flux, £211 TPF&T, but turns out I did a bit of a typo and said I bought the bike in 2007, rather than 2017. To make the amendment they wanted an extra £100, which seemed a bit steep. So I've cancelled the policy, been screwed as usual, and got £180 back (took the policy out a couple of days ago).

I tried a comparison site, and it came back as refused to quote.

The bike is only a cheap 10 year old 500cc.

Bennetts quoted me £400.

All seem a bit pricey!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on which policy would suit you best as everyone has different circumstances but surely after just two days you should get almost all of your money back under the 7 day right to cancel thingy? I'd have thought they should just charge you for the two days cover at a prorata basic rather than bum you with what seems to be cancellation charges?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I thought. Especially as I've got two vans insured with them for business use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm paying about £360 for a 500cc with a couple years NCB with Just Motorcycle Insurance. I wouldn't recommend them for the same reason "amendment fees" but I've got no choice as they come up cheaper than the other crooks on the comparison sites.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking? Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking?

I'm 30

Hang about.

Can't help with your query other than to say try more comparison sites, and try lower mileages, higher excesses, alternative (but not untrue) occupations, or adding a second rider? In any case, phone the cheapest broker - they may be prepared to try for a better deal from the underwriter.

TBH £400 is not so excessive with zero NCB. The price is probably based mainly the third party risk, so the value of your bike is not especially relevant.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself middle-aged as I am more than likely in the middle of my lifespan, I think 45-60 is well out, unless people are expected to live until 90-120? I certainly won't!

I've run another quote with Bennetts, and found that by going down the TPO and knocking off commuting, I can get it down to £230.

Now I've always stuck commuting on insurance, but do I need it?

I might go to work on my bike a handful of times in a year, if the weather is good. But the majority of the time I'll be in my car or van.
But does this still count as commuting?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put commuting on my insurance but that's because I use one of the bikes solely for that (multi bike policy). Provided you didn't say "I'm on my way to work" when asked, nobody would be the wiser on those few days.

10 year old 500cc bike shouldn't cost you that much surely? Where are you located? Seems that might be more of the problem than the bike.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Just Motorcycle Insurance.

https://www.just-motorcycleinsurance.com/

They beat MCE hands down for my Trophy insurance. Yes, I've got many years NCB but they might be good for you too!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep on like a fucking broken record here, but two words:

Classic Policy.

If the bike is 20 or older you should be able to get one. There's downsides of course, but if usage is low and mileage limited, then premiums can be really cheap.

On the other hand, they don't expect NCB or always allow you to accrue it either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I keep on like a fucking broken record here, but two words:

Classic Policy.

If the bike is 20 or older you should be able to get one. There's downsides of course, but if usage is low and mileage limited, then premiums can be really cheap.

So not really applicable for a 10 year old bike then.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. ^ that.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Where are you located? Seems that might be more of the problem than the bike.

Near Stansted Airport, Hertfordshire/Essex border, so not crime central, but am in a town.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:01 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking? Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I tried a comparison site, and it came back as refused to quote.

At all? I'd look into why that is, because it's likely to remain a problem for you.

Are you saying that you've had a policy cancelled? If so, don't.

If you're not saying that, is it possible that Bikesure have recorded it as such on the cartel's collective database?

You might want to pay for a subject access request to find out:

https://www.mib.org.uk/media/387858/cue-and-miaftr-dsar-request-form-august-2017-v10.pdf

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have just been the comparison site I used the other day, on a couple now and am getting results.

I've not had a policy cancelled, I cancelled a policy.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I consider myself middle-aged

At 30? You have to be kidding. Anyway, didn't you know that 'middle-aged' is 5 years older than your current age, whatever that is...

FWIW when I returned to biking last year in my 50s, after a long layoff and zero NCB, best quote was Hastings at £220, for a DL650 and including a fair bit for helmet and clothing (a lot of folk here don't rate them, mind).

Totally agree with Rogerborg that you need to work out why the comparison sites aren't playing nicely

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have sussed it.

I have two jobs, one employed and one self-employed, I think it's too difficult for the comparison websites.

I've now gone back to my old method of using the comparison sites to tell me what insurers come up best, and then running a new quote direct with said companies.

Hastings have quoted me under £100 for TPF&T, but, they want a minimum of £250 excess...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when was 30 middle aged? Shocked
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Since when was 30 middle aged? Shocked

Since I'll probably be dead within the next 30 years!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not middle-aged, you're possibly just coming out of the rapey insurance years. Comparison site as others have said, doesn't really matter what one as they're pretty much the same. It depends on what insurer likes you, unfortunately MCE are the only people who like me (wish the feeling was mutual Rolling Eyes).

Bennetts are shit, they quoted me £1700 on an NSR125 before Very Happy

Edit: £100? Pay it and ride off into the sunset. £250 seems to be the sweet spot for excess anyway.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL SORTED

I've gone with Hastings.

Upped it a bit to Fully Comp, plus all the legal/injury stuff, figured if I do smash it then the bike payout should cover the excess.

Just under £160.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh

Hastings
Are like aids Crying or Very sad

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I've gone with Hastings.

Oh dear... too late to point this out then...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=235369

I'd rather put my testicles in a tiger's mouth and slap his balls with a paddle than use Hastings...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many insurance companies are bad.

The trick is give them as little money as possible and try not to interact with them whatsoever for year.

This is the best you can hope for.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I agree with this guy. One good thing about Hastings is you get riding other bikes on a fire and theft policy.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are horror stories about most insurers. I've had issues with a few, and I've had no problems with ones that other people have had problems with.

It all depends on the situation, and who you get on the end of the phone.

I fully accept that all insurers will try and screw everybody at any given time, I've been of that mindset for longer than I can remember, and as of yet have not been proved wrong!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2