Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike office wear!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

birdyboyuk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Motorbike office wear! Reply with quote

This is mainly aimed at office wear trousers...

Do any of you work in an office environment and wear trousers which can also provide protection while riding?

I don't want to faff around changing my trousers when getting to work, so was wondering if there is anything suitable out there?

Just a plain black pair of trousers!

Thanks!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearest I've got is black kevlar jeans, that I get away with most days. I'm wearing them now!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed but the trouble is anything with decent protection is usually by definition going to be too bloody hot to wear in most offices (where people start bleating to HR when the temp falls below 20 deg) Rolling Eyes

I know a few who wear protective overtrousers - ie a lot easier than changing trousers as you don't need to go and lock yourself in the khazi to get changed. Still not ideal tho.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtrousers...?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Overtrousers...?

Buy motorcycle trousers one or two sizes too big. Wear them over your work trousers.

Take them off at work.

To be honest your main problem in this situation is generally having work shoes available.

I leave a pair at work, but if I'm off site - I need to take them in the top box which means sacrificing some tools or clothing from in there.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wear chinos, or more recently, cargo trousers. It all depends on how strict the company is, and where you are on risk versus convenience.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Alpinestars Overtrousers...not cheap at £190 but all I do when I get to work is hang bike jacket up and take Overtrousers off, work shoes on and I'm ready for work.

No real faff and they look like normal biking trousers (not like some Overtrousers that are cheep looking shiny thin shell suit material...they also have top and knee armour.)

Last edited by thepuma on 18:54 - 17 Aug 2017; edited 2 times in total

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorbike office wear! Reply with quote

birdyboyuk wrote:
Just a plain black pair of trousers!

https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/#

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:46 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal trousers, textiles over the top when riding.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Overtrousers...?

Buy motorcycle trousers one or two sizes too big. Wear them over your work trousers.

Take them off at work.

To be honest your main problem in this situation is generally having work shoes available.

I leave a pair at work, but if I'm off site - I need to take them in the top box which means sacrificing some tools or clothing from in there.

I have 2 pairs of work shoes...1 I leave at work and 1 at home. So I'm always covered if I ride to work or drive.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan 👍

I miss when I had a single place of work 😭

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:15 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear overtrousers over normal office wear, during fine weather I wear my old ones which are shower proof at least and keep the grime off. Short Muck Boots, and keep a pair of shoes at work.

For a short while I rode a scooter which was great, could wear ordinary office shoes and no need for overtrousers unless it was raining pretty hard. I still wonder about going back to a scooter for winter commuting.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:

For a short while I rode a scooter which was great, could wear ordinary office shoes and no need for overtrousers unless it was raining pretty hard. I still wonder about going back to a scooter for winter commuting.

How do you stop people from looking up your skirt and seeing your vagina?

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Qyburn wrote:

For a short while I rode a scooter ...
How do you stop people from looking up your skirt and seeing your vagina?

It's a problem.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorbike office wear! Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Specifically the H2s B15.

But unless you're only planning to ride when it's guaranteed to be dry, then you're going to be putting something on over the top.

So, as above, any waterproof armoured cordura trousers +1 or +2 sizes up.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a decent sized locker and put it at work... put 5 shirts and some trousers in there every monday morning our of your tank bag

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I try to avoid anything bike related near the desk. It doesn't affect how you do the job of course, but it does affect how people perceive you.

My last place had a motorcycle park for about 50 bikes, changing rooms with lockers / showers etc. Was great as could leave stuff at work for the week

Now, it's just a small changing room, with some communal hanging space so can't really leave anything. bike gear gets hung up out the way, or left in the top box.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
Generally I try to avoid anything bike related near the desk. It doesn't affect how you do the job of course, but it does affect how people perceive you.

When a thousand people out of your office walk past you whilst you are parking up because of a fire drill you quickly realise just how pointless worrying about shit like that is.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmer months I get changed at work. Wear summer textile trousers. Shoes and a couple pairs of trousers stay at work. Shirt is fine under bike jacket.
Winter months I just wear bike gear over work gear.

Really don't see how literally 1 minute spent getting changed can be a faff. I don't think I've ever valued time at my desk so much that taking a minute out to get changed in the bogs was a hassle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I wear protective padded jeans, and usually a T-Shirt, with something silly written on it ..

Such as

No, I won't fix your computer

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

And so on ..

Oh, I really do have too many t-shirts !!

Laughing Laughing

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:09 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
owl10 wrote:

When a thousand people out of your office walk past you whilst you are parking up because of a fire drill you quickly realise just how pointless worrying about shit like that is.

Not worried about it, and no worries about parking up. There's a difference to that and sitting in bike gear all day.

It's not even that bikes are perceived badly necessarily, more that I want them to leave with a certain message or direction and don't want anything to detract from that !

Possibly due to my specific role - Its a matrix organisation where I don't have much formal authority directly over many, and my field is not well understood in my line of work, however I am a key stakeholder to most of the business so getting people to do what I need them to do relies much on influencing and politics, and people believing they need to do what I've asked - easier when you look as they expect!

A bit like if you pay for a solicitor and they turned up to court wearing tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks, and a spliffy t shirt.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:06 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
matrix organisation formal authority field not well understood line of work key stakeholder influencing politics

BINGO!

I'm having real trouble not reading this thread title as "Motorbike officer wear."

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart work trousers underneath armoured textile trousers. Have been doing that for years with minimal faffery. Only trouble is you can't hang them up in the office cloakroom, especially if wet, but I put my stuff in a locker room anyway.

You can get smartish Kevlar stuff, but this would still not be smart enough for my office environment., also, if you get them wet, then what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Nope don't do this. Ill fitting biker wear means in a spill loose bits may snag and cause twisting forces and additional injuries.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Dainese textiles all day with a shirt and boots, it's not really what our office 'policy' dictates but no-one particularly argues with me. It looks smart enough to get away with but obviously if I have a meeting or clients to deal with then I have some more formal attire stowed in my locker.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2