20-20
30-30
40-40
50-50
>60- depends on my mood

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average speed cameras clock the average speed. Loads on the A40 with rear facing cams to catch bikes as well, but the key here is average speed

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly stick to the limit, but if I'm bored or in a rush I will exceed for fun. Mostly just on main DCW though. A-roads are usually blocked up with old people doing 35, and it's not wise to press on in Devon when you could be met around the corner with a tractor, horse or lycra brigade riding 19-abreast.

That said, I do have spurts in town where I don't look at the speedo, but it is not sustained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I like to ride at a safe speed for the road, i.e. the speed that I've seen marked police vehicles do on it, with or without lights or sirens.

This road has a 20mph limit, not sure why, it's 4 lanes wide, two of which are bus lanes that motorcycles are not allowed in Confused

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4942128,-0.1108379,3a,75y,169.23h,74.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCn8xNqaGX__-iGwO3r4UKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

followed mr plod down it the other day at just under 40mph, no they didn't have their lights on, only has 1 camera southbound

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Saw 80 plenty today, and today's ride was about a gentle bimble

Kitten-murker.

I find that a good coating of squashed kitten on the tyres helps with grip.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
I like to ride at a safe speed for the road, i.e. the speed that I've seen marked police vehicles do on it, with or without lights or sirens.

This road has a 20mph limit, not sure why, it's 4 lanes wide, two of which are bus lanes that motorcycles are not allowed in Confused

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4942128,-0.1108379,3a,75y,169.23h,74.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCn8xNqaGX__-iGwO3r4UKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

followed mr plod down it the other day at just under 40mph, no they didn't have their lights on, only has 1 camera southbound

I followed two coppers doing 40 mph making progress overtaking down the A3/Clapham Road (no lights/sirens). We must follow the example of our betters Thumbs Up

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I have such bad eyesight I can't read the signs so everything is national speed limit. And by national speed limit I mean 150+

150+ and poor eye sight. That shouldn't be a problem for too long.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

Because for whatever retarded reason, many local authorities in London have got it into their heads that a great way to win Mumsnet votes and keep old biddies happy is by slowing down all the hooligans on the road by making entire boroughs 20mph zones. It's awful and nobody obeys them. Islington, Brixton and Lambeth are some of the worst offenders, especially with their seemingly "ask the magic 8 ball" attitude of whether bikes are allowed in bus lanes or not.

Speed limits in London seem to be more "optional guidance", same with red lights... and well pretty much any traffic regulation really. Especially with all the Uber drivers, Deliveroo peds and urban mobile street pharmacists.

I have no real hard & fast rules about speed limits and/or obeying them, generally if its safe (and I know theres no speed cameras about) to exceed them then I will. Theres a lovely stretch of windy twisty country road on the way to work thats a 40 limit, and at 4am when I'm the only person on the road because most sane people are in bed at this time, I'll frequently do double that to liven up the morning commute.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're reasonably lucky up in North Yorkshire with virtually no fixed speed cameras. The vans on the other hand...ha, yeah those sneaky feckers are around every bend on a sunny day.

As for speed limits, I'll usually always stay under 20 in a 20 simply because it usually indicates a school zone (up here anyway) so that's just a given being a parent (some would argue just being a decent oomin bean should cover that but I do think your awareness of kids on the road is heightened once you have your own)

30, meh usually within the 10% no reason to hoon around town like a ped boi.

40, depends on the traffic flow. If it's going at 47 then I'll go 47 otherwise on a clear road I'll tend to stick within limits.

NSL and above, fair game really just don't get caught.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 - up to 40 (20 if school time)
30 - up to 40
40 - up to 60
50 - up to 100
60 - up to 100
70 - up to 100

I've never been over 100mph so possibly even more?
Shhh!

Most of the time it depends on what my vehicle sits most comfortably at in certain gear.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmm Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
I have such bad eyesight I can't read the signs so everything is national speed limit. And by national speed limit I mean 150+

150+ and poor eye sight. That shouldn't be a problem for too long.

There is immense sarcasm. I speed whenever I'm on the bike, the rules do not apply to a few of us.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

110-130 pretty much everywhere. 110 if I'm near a school.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
no they didn't have their lights on

And that doesn't make any difference at all in terms of what constitutes a safe speed for the conditions.

Motorcycle outrider speeds? Must be safe. The most bigly eliteskill riders are demonstrating so by their actions.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

Because for whatever retarded reason, many local authorities in London have got it into their heads that a great way to win Mumsnet votes and keep old biddies happy is by slowing down all the hooligans on the road by making entire boroughs 20mph zones. It's awful and nobody obeys them. Islington, Brixton and Lambeth are some of the worst offenders, especially with their seemingly "ask the magic 8 ball" attitude of whether bikes are allowed in bus lanes or not.

Heard about this in Camden and Islington, didn't realise it was Lambeth and Brixton too Shocked

20 is plenty... apparently Evil or Very Mad

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once did 10 times the speed limit, just because I could.

Some limits are just plain silly.

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

After all, these are the crème de menthe of drivers, so who am I to question their judgement?

Surely the same officer can't evade prosecution again, can he?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:

Heard about this in Camden and Islington, didn't realise it was Lambeth and Brixton too Shocked

20 is plenty... apparently Evil or Very Mad

I don't go south of the river much but yeah it's Lambeth, Southwark (and the city), and soon to be all of Croydon. Other boroughs are virtually 20 zones, Lewisham and Haringey for example:

Haringey now has a borough wide 20mph limit - please stick to the new limit when you see 20mph signs
The speed limit in all streets in Haringey is now 20mph, except for some main roads and streets managed by Transport for London. Rolling Eyes

What's really good is their own maps are wrong.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, outside of London: 20->25, 30->30, 40->46, 50->57, NSL -> conditions.

In London, conditions. Speed limits have become politicised and no longer reflect risk or prevailing traffic speeds. Police have mostly abdicated traffic policing to fixed speed cameras. There are a handful of speed trap locations, but if you commute you'll learn where they are when you first spot them, and then you just treat them like fixed speed cameras.

On continent, 30kph->40, 50->50, 70->70, 90+ -> conditions.

Generally, outside of cities, police most care about towns and villages, that means 30mph / 50kph limits. They'll get you with speed guns coming around blind corners - observations won't help you.

GPS helps with fixed speed cameras on unknown roads. Mobile cameras are mostly just bad luck, and I've never been unlucky yet.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether I know the road, where the junctions are, possible retard peds running out etc. If I don't know the road I will stick to the speed limits and ride cautiously.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely only a total cock face would fit a GPS device to their bike or car, just to warn them about fixed camera sites?

If you know where your going you don't need GPS and anyone that uses it despite that is a sad prick IMO.

20mph zones is most of London won't ever worry me. Im amazed that some of you continue to ride central London everyday, and what's worse is that some of you London people, could go on a 1-2hour ride out from a North Borough to a south Borough, and never see country roads or even single carriageway NSL roads. Fuck that shit!

How do you keep motivated if your ride outs are all things like South Croydon up to the Ace cafe and back. I'd expect that there isn't a good or interesting road anywhere on that route at all?

Oh yeah and Shaggy has given me something to think about. Maybe I need an Enfield, but a sticky tyred, immensely well braked supermotard version for the sort of riding I like to do. If they have a bit of an on/off manic powerband, and a ton of aftermarket tune up parts then I'm sold! Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive of a 20mph London, is that in theory it should make it perfect for electric assisted cycles, as the go to, primary and best form of daily transport?

If I had to live there, I'd want to ride nothing else TBH.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Speed limits have become politicised and no longer reflect risk or prevailing traffic speeds

I'm not sure if I've got the right end of your stick.... 😆 But it's the council that set the speed limits - not the police. 👍

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
I once did 10 times the speed limit, just because I could.

Some limits are just plain silly.

Was it a 5mph in a car park?😁

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
barrkel wrote:
Speed limits have become politicised and no longer reflect risk or prevailing traffic speeds

I'm not sure if I've got the right end of your stick.... 😆 But it's the council that set the speed limits - not the police. 👍

But that's precisely the point.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZ wrote:
20-20
30-30
40-40
50-50
>60- depends on my mood

Same for me.

Although I do whatever speed I feel necessary when in NSL land.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3