Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki Er-5 - new sprockets for more torque

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sporkwings
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:04 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Kawasaki Er-5 - new sprockets for more torque Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I found a thread in here a while back, where you talked about getting a bit more torque on a Kawasaki Er-5, for the cost of a bit of top speed, by replacing the sprockets for the chain on it.

But I can't for the love of god find it!

So, can you help me with how many teeth the sprockets should have, so that I can use the same chain length, but still get the extra torque?

Thanks! :)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just go down a couple of teeth on the front and then adjust the chain to suit, as long as you've got plenty of adjustment left. I'm running -1 on the front of my Nazi Tractor, it's fine.

If you want absolute parity on teeth, you can go down on the front and up on the back to match. JT sprockets offers a wide variety of options:

https://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/1152/

But if you're replacing both sprockets, why not do the chain to match? And if you're going to do that, you can get any combination of sprockets and chain links that you want.

Are you asking about the ideal final drive ratio? Ideal for what purposes? Stunting, beating Fireblades off the lights?

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less teeth on front + More teeth on rear sprocket = Faster Acceleration, less top end

More teeth on front + Less teeth on rear sprocket = More top end, more strenuous on the engine to get there

Simples.

sporkwings
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer!

There is a brand new chain on, why I don't want to change it, if not necessary.

I am used to ride a Yamaha Xt600 as a commuter bike, but I sold it and got this Kawasaki er-5 in the trade, but I guess I miss the extra kick the Yamaha had, when I ride in the city.
I know it is two completely different bikes, but I think that I could settle if I just get a bit more acceleration out of the Kawasaki.

So then, the rule is, if I understand correctly, one tooth down on front, one up on the back, and the chain should fit over without taking off/applying chain links, is that right?

[quote="Rogerborg"]You can just go down a couple of teeth on the front and then adjust the chain to suit, as long as you've got plenty of adjustment left. I'm running -1 on the front of my Nazi Tractor, it's fine.

If you want absolute parity on teeth, you can go down on the front and up on the back to match. JT sprockets offers a wide variety of options:

https://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/1152/

But if you're replacing both sprockets, why not do the chain to match? And if you're going to do that, you can get any combination of sprockets and chain links that you want.

Are you asking about the ideal final drive ratio? Ideal for what purposes? Stunting, beating Fireblades off the lights?[/quote]

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but you can just go down a tooth (or more) on the front rather than buying a rear sprocket as well if it's in good condition. If it needs replacing anyway, fair enough.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Less teeth on front + More teeth on rear sprocket = Faster Acceleration, less top end

More teeth on front + Less teeth on rear sprocket = More top end, more strenuous on the engine to get there

Simples.

You would think that, but no. These motorcycle have overdrive (the top gear), that meaing with the stock final drive gear ratio it's actually slower (acceleration and top speed) than with a shorter final driver gear ratio (= less teeth front and/or more teeth back). Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:30 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting if true, but...

RhynoCZ wrote:
These motorcycle have overdrive (the top gear)

"over"drive compared to what other bikes' 6th gear ratios?

I will https://www.gearingcommander.com/ for great pedantry.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, might not be overdrive, but everything else still stands. I've noticed this on the CB-1 and my neighbor's Ninja 250.

When I got the CB-1 there was a very short final drive gear ratio (+6 or even more teeth back - 44 teeth total). The bike did 190+km/h quite effortlesly reving the engine up to the limiter in the 6th gear. Then, I put it much closer to the factory final drive gear ratio, 4 teeth smaller rear sprocket (the factory was between 36 an 38 teeth, I couldn't get 38, so got 40). The bike was not capable of doing 190km/h, not even in the 5th gear, and it got a bit sluggish, BUT the fuel economy improved significantly, plus not revving it up to the top all the time reduced the engine temperature (the fan was pretty happy to kick in with the short ratio).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Or for the same effect and zero cost you could just change down a gear.

All the best

Katy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but wouldn't that defy the whole concept of having a 6 speed gearbox?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if you select gears by the conditions and preference, rather than its number.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:58 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Yes, but wouldn't that defy the whole concept of having a 6 speed gearbox?

What is the point of having a 6 speed gearbox on a lowly tuned engine with a wide power band? Unless you are revving the engine beyond peak power in each gear you are not getting the most umph you can, and with more gears you are spending more time changing gear without drive.

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1