Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How strong battery do I need for electric start?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:43 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: How strong battery do I need for electric start? Reply with quote

I'm rewiring my bike to fit an electric start, electronic ignition 250 twin engine.

Previously I could run with any 12v battery that would fit in the hole because the bike was kick start and was easy to get going. But now I'll be needing a battery to turn a starter and my first impressions are to try to buy the biggest, most powerful but cheapest battery I can find that will fit the box.

There are loads of batteries that MIGHT fit in the box but really I have no idea what amps and shit would be best. And I might want to fit some fancy pants bright lights or something at some point.

Any clues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided it's not a reluctant starter any 12V bike battery should be fine with that smallish engine.
You're probably more likely to find charging system is not up to running the extras mentioned for very long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the starting current. If you get an average 8Ah (and more) battery, the starting current will be more than sufficient.

What would be the best? Well, the highest starting current obviously, with reasonable capacity. Higher the capacity, bigger the battery though.

I'd try something like 10Ah, 150A (more, means ''better''). I'm not familiar with your motorcycle though, and maybe a smaller battery would do the job as well.

Have a look at YTZ10S, that's what I would try first.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need it? Electric start is weight and drag. Fuck it off and use a house alarm battery.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:49 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Chinky bikes make do with a 6 or 7 Ah battery, I think the Super-Dreams, which were hugely over-rated for belt and braces 'you can rely on THIS e-start' honda thinking, is only a 9Ah....
If you are pondering equipment upgrades, the starter's out such an issue, as the out-put of the genny.... which has to keep the battery full.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:04 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem I've got is the funny shape of the MZ battery box on my bike. Originally it was a 6v system with kick start so it didn't have a very big battery. I used to get by with things like house alarm batteries. For at least the last 10 years I've been using two Maplin's 6v batteries wired up for 12v because they usually have them on sale for half price every winter.

So far the only thing I've found that will fit the battery box is about 5 or 6 amps at most, which will probably be OK for this 250 twin engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very small lithium starter batteries that weigh next to nothing.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX4L-BS-Shido-Lithium-Motorcycle-Battery-LiFePO4-LTX4L-BS-P10440.html

you could remove the gubbins,thats mostly a plastic housing to make it fit a battery box. Lithium cells can discharge much greater current for a given capacity compared to lead acid batteries.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
There are very small lithium starter batteries that weigh next to nothing.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX4L-BS-Shido-Lithium-Motorcycle-Battery-LiFePO4-LTX4L-BS-P10440.html

you could remove the gubbins,thats mostly a plastic housing to make it fit a battery box. Lithium cells can discharge much greater current for a given capacity compared to lead acid batteries.

And have a dreaded fire risk if charging is not regulated properly. 😦

I'm no' sayin' ye canny dae it. But something to consider. 😊

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

And have a dreaded fire risk if charging is not regulated properly. 😦

I'm no' sayin' ye canny dae it. But something to consider. 😊

hence linking the premade Wink The case is mostly empty space, so one could gut it, repackage and put it wherever without having to tinker with circuitry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1