Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does it matter which way up this spring is?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Does it matter which way up this spring is? Reply with quote

As you may have seen in the "What have you done to your bike today?" thread, I started rebuilding my Bros forks last weekend with some CBR600 F3 cartridge internals bought from the boot of a car at Fleet services.

I had to stop last week because I didn't have the right copper washers, but one of the forks is together with no oil and the other is ready to go back together.

My question is whether it matters which way up (it is more tightly wound at one end) the little rebound spring at the bottom is, and if anyone fancies explaining the science behind why or why not?

For bonus points, the same question for the main fork spring!

Thanks! Thumbs Up

Here's the page I'm using if anyone is interested: https://www.hawkworks.net/tips/F3forks/F3forks.html

https://www.hawkworks.net/tips/F3forks/F3forks1.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:50 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Does it matter which way up this spring is? Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
some CBR600 F3 cartridge internals bought from the boot of a car at Fleet services.

As you do. Laughing

Part #17 has the more tightly wound end at the top.

I'll pass on #4, the rebound spring. At a guess it's going to be the opposite way around as it's for rebound but I wouldn't want to bet on that.

Realistically, I don't think it'd make any difference as long as both forks are assembled in the same way.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Does it matter which way up this spring is? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
UnspeedySam wrote:
some CBR600 F3 cartridge internals bought from the boot of a car at Fleet services.

As you do. Laughing

He was breaking a bike in Croydon (I'm in Southampton) and when I went to pick up the bits he didn't have time to strip them off the bike. So he met me half way as an apology. So not quite as dodgy as it sounds. Razz

Ste wrote:

Part #17 has the more tightly wound end at the top.

I'll pass on #4, the rebound spring. At a guess it's going to be the opposite way around as it's for rebound but I wouldn't want to bet on that.

Realistically, I don't think it'd make any difference as long as both forks are assembled in the same way.

Interesting. I think the tightly wound bit was down on the main spring for all 4 forks I stripped down (but I could be wrong...I didn't take many photos...). So I put in both springs (main and rebound) with the tightly wound bit pointing down when reassembling.

But when stripping down the right side after I'd put together the left already, I noticed that the rebound had the tightly wound bit pointing up and main spring tightly wound pointing down which is what made me ask the question.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fork spring with gradually tighter coils is a "progressive" fork spring

Quote:
A Progressive Rate Spring has the advantage of a rising rate resistance to compression. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a "plush" ride, yet be firm enough at the end of the travel to soak up the big bumps.

For the main spring, 17, the tighter coils need to be uppermost, not sure about the rebound spring!

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
A fork spring with gradually tighter coils is a "progressive" fork spring

Quote:
A Progressive Rate Spring has the advantage of a rising rate resistance to compression. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a "plush" ride, yet be firm enough at the end of the travel to soak up the big bumps.

For the main spring, 17, the tighter coils need to be uppermost, not sure about the rebound spring!

Balls. I guess I'm getting that fork apart again then and trying not to bugger the bushings.

edit: I might just leave it and do the other one the same...not sure...

edit: Wait I'm an idiot. I don't need to split the fork to take that spring out... Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1