Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays Test Rides

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:46 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Todays Test Rides Reply with quote

After many months of reading, debating and arguing with myself over which bike to get I finally got off my arse and went and rode a couple.

First up was the NC750X in DCT form. Yes, I know, but I thought I'd give it a try but couldn't shake the feeling it was missing the point before I even got on it.

It was fine, liked the bike but the DCT I had mixed feelings about. Worked great, easy bike to ride, nice ergo's for me and no real dramas but I still felt a little...I don't know, cheated perhaps.

Then nipped round the corner and jumped on a 2010 Versys 650. (mk2 version).

It felt more comfy than the Honda which surprised me but that's about where any affection for it ended. I'd heard about low speed fuelling issues but blimey. Close the throttle and it's like slamming the brakes on. Tweak it open again and it lurched away.

I see sawed my way through 20 minutes trying to change my style to smooth it out and was only slightly successful. That and the buzzing screen (I assume it was the screen as that's another issue they are known for, something was buzzing horribly) and drivetrain noises saw me back to the dealership to hand it back.
Comfy, but horrible in all other respects. Maybe it was just that bike or maybe all my riding style but either way, not for me.

I'm half a mind to try a vstrom but not really sure I like the styling.

So at this point, NC750X manual is the front runner I think.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the V-Strom styling. You don't have to look at it when you're riding it. I've had my V-Strom 1000 for a few months now and am loving every minute on it. Nice thumpy V twin power, surprisingly good handling and brakes plus all day comfort for rider and passenger. Also it has serious touring capability.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:37 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

Bennetts just did a NC750X vs Tracer 700 comparison and the tl;dr summary is "Tracer all the way, in every way."

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:04 - 20 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, you really must try an MT-07 (or XSR700 / Tracer 700) in that market.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What's your budget?

Is budget the question, or purpose?

I would suggest the NC is significantly different to the opposition and anyone who has done even a small amount of homework would know that.

Taking the trouble to test ride the DCT version, makes me think the OP thought it would fulfill a fairly specific role, unless they were just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:35 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first choice was the Honda, so I thought I'd give the DCT a blast as everyone seems to rate it, even if it's not for them. That's probably the camp I fall into.

Budget circa 4K.

Purpose...well that's a tricky one. I need that unicorn of a bike that does a bit of everything and looks the part. No commuting, whatsoever. Sunday bike only. Not interested in breaking land speed records. Prefer upright, coming from a dirt bike racing background.

However, it has to be easy to ride and be able to take a pillion because if it goes well, then some longish trips and maybe a bit of touring will follow.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:05 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
No commuting, whatsoever. Sunday bike only.

And you thought NC750?

And DCT?

You's trollin' us.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
TbirdX wrote:

And you thought NC750?

And DCT?

You's trollin' us.

That^^.

The NC is pure commuter.

However, if you want a 600-700cc twin for fun then you want an MT07 or Tracer.

/ End of Thread. Mr. Green

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:22 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
TbirdX wrote:

And you thought NC750?

And DCT?

You's trollin' us.

Easy to ride. After yo yoing my way around Neasden on the Kwacker the DCT makes more sense....

Still not having one though, but I would have a manwell.

There's a few more to try yet though.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What's your budget?

Bennetts just did a NC750X vs Tracer 700 comparison and the tl;dr summary is "Tracer all the way, in every way."

I'd take issue with their storage complaints about the NC. The Tracer was "with over £1000’s worth of extras bolted on" - I'm sure if you threw the same amount at the Honda you could add some 'convenient' storage.

If I was planning on going places with a pillion I'd have side cased and a topbox fitted anyway.

I still don't understand why they only ever test the DCT version of this bike. It's like journalists are too stupid to short shift gears or something. Then all they do is complain about it the DCT adding too much weight. If you don't like the DCT, test the manual you fucking morons. Oh wait, that'd make the price difference £1400 which would mean the Tracer would now be competing with the likes of the Tiger 800, BMW 800GS Adventure Ed.

Comments like

"And at low speed it’s awful turning round in the road..."

just make me think they don't actually ride bikes much at all. You can throw an NC round in a circle. Jesus, my Speed Triple has the turning circle the size of of Dover and weight wise, as soon as the NC starts moving the weight is gone, with the Speed it's always there.

Yes the Speed goes a shite-tonne faster, quicker, apples and oranges etc but the Speed is a lot harder to ride than the NC.

I'll stop now because I'm preaching to unbelievers. I'd certainly recommend trying the Tracer 700 though, it's a nice bike and a good ride.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

U mad tho bro?

Fair point on the touring spec, I get gear-ground when it's not a price-for-price comparison.

But I think that using the DCT is fair enough since it sells bigly and it's one of the Honda's USPs. If it's not a benefit, why does it cost more?

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:11 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple

/thread.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:00 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT07 for the sound the neighbours one sounds like a v twin Thumbs Up

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:17 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
U mad tho bro?

Fair point on the touring spec, I get gear-ground when it's not a price-for-price comparison.

But I think that using the DCT is fair enough since it sells bigly and it's one of the Honda's USPs. If it's not a benefit, why does it cost more?

That^^.

I've test ridden both versions and the NC is about as exciting as my fridge but what does anyone expect? It's a scooter based commuter hence, dare I say, the DCT is the most relevant version.

Christ, I've sort of agreed with the Borg twice in one day.

Either he's getting better or I need a lie down. Mr. Green

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy2 wrote:
Street Triple

/thread.

That's my line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Bozzy2 wrote:
Street Triple

/thread.

That's my line.

Snap

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:24 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree try a mt07 or indeed a street triple.

For want you want a NC will drive you to a car!

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:11 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
recman wrote:

That's my line.

Snap

Snooze you lose boys Middle Finger

Razz

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
U mad tho bro?

Not really mad, just frustrated at stupidity.

Rogerborg wrote:

I don't believe for a second that they tested the DCT because they regard it as a benefit, it's purely to bring the base price up so it looks like an appropriate comparison. I've yet to find a test done by 'proper' journalists that's of the manual version of they bike. It's always the DCT, they never like it. The Manual version still outsells the DCT.

I don't blame them for disliking it, I dislike it myself, but that's why I have a manual version.

Again I'll say if you have trouble turning the NC (DCT or not) around under its own power then the problem isn't the bike.

I'll also add that if you can't have fun on an NC, you're riding on the wrong roads. I often take the back roads home from work because the NC works really well on them and unlike the Speed, doesn't try to break my spine on every bump.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I don't believe for a second that they tested the DCT because they regard it as a benefit, it's purely to bring the base price up so it looks like an appropriate comparison. I've yet to find a test done by 'proper' journalists that's of the manual version of they bike. It's always the DCT, they never like it. The Manual version still outsells the DCT.

It often isn't up to the publication. They'll make a request and the manufacturer (or distributor) will supply the bike in the configuration they would like it tested. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda were keen to supply the DCT bike since it's always a talking point in a review. Whether the reviewer likes the feature or not isn't necessarily important. The Africa twin often appears as the DCT version in reviews. I seem to recall the same for numerous reviews of the VFR1200. Honda clearly want to promote the technology. If the reviewer had a choice, you'd probably almost always see the manual version tested, especially as there's no longer anything new or interesting about DCT.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

It often isn't up to the publication. They'll make a request and the manufacturer (or distributor) will supply the bike in the configuration they would like it tested. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda were keen to supply the DCT bike since it's always a talking point in a review. Whether the reviewer likes the feature or not isn't necessarily important. The Africa twin often appears as the DCT version in reviews. I seem to recall the same for numerous reviews of the VFR1200. Honda clearly want to promote the technology. If the reviewer had a choice, you'd probably almost always see the manual version tested, especially as there's no longer anything new or interesting about DCT.

Obviously they want to promote it, they need to get their money back on the investment.

This reminds me of people who say they have no control over automatic cars - they do, they just don't know how to drive them properly.
RjMaan This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a spin on a mate's Triumph 'Hitler bike' Street Scrambler this weekend and enjoyed it way too much than I should considering it makes about 54bhp and is way too porky for that kind of power. It was a lovely bike to ride though despite this. If you are considering a relatively low powered bike that'll give you 65 mpg and put a smile on your face, why not try one of these? Personally I would go for the Street Twin (same engine) with flatter bars, naughty exhausts and a rack... It is the sort of bike that you could do anything on, bar chasing sports bikes.

Last edited by Diggs on 13:01 - 21 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a NC as a courtesy bike for a month. Hated it. No power, too quiet, the only redeeming feature it had is you could carry your shopping home in the false tank.
Was really glad to get the MT09 back.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Todays Test Rides Reply with quote

RjMaan wrote:
Great choice. Have a lovely ride.

Make that 3 for 3 with the barmy posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2