Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test ride from hell

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:23 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Test ride from hell Reply with quote

Took a GSXR600 for a test ride yesterday, I've always loved Gixxers and fancied getting one, but never owned a sports bike before so wanted to see if I could get on with the riding position. It quickly turned into a nightmare.

It broke down on the test ride as I was on the motorway, rang the dealership and they went fucking apeshit at me. Turns out the bike was SORN and they hadnt bothered to put trade plates or anything on. Apparently this was somehow my fault. So after eventually getting recovered by them, once I'd gotten home the "boss" started phoning me to rant at me, telling me that I was "disgusting and royally taking the piss" and saying that if they get any tickets from ANPR cams etc for no tax hes forwarding them to me, and that hes "got my licence and got me on video taking the bike" and going to "report me to the police for riding with no tax" and make it my fault.

I mean I'm pretty sure it doesnt work like that, its their bike, theyre a dealerhsip, and they let me test ride it on the road knowing it was SORN, so I fail to see how this can possibly come back on me. But I'd like to know where I stand and have my cards ready to deal should I get a visit from the Popo or any tickets sent my way.

Anyway, those issues aside, thoughts on the GSXR:

I'm actually heartbroken, I've always loved the look, style and colouring of them. And I wanted to get on with it so badly. But I just cant... I cant ride a sportsbike position, it absolutely ruined my back & knees, aching like a bitch after just 20 mins riding and being hunched over the tank like that makes me feel like a big dog trying to shag a chihuahua . It's an absolutely phenomenal bike, its so light, agile and has a frankly obscene amount of power. I love everything about it, but I just cannot ride a sports bike. I just love the upright position of my Bandit & Fazer too much.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this thing recently of people trying to force themselves to like sports bikes? Confused
If you like a more comfortable riding position but want performance and agility, it's been said a thousand times: try a Street Triple. People say it for a reason y'know.

Very much doubt the dealer has a leg to stand on, trying to put the blame for their stupidity on you. I wouldn't worry about it. I would be tempted to name and shame though, assuming you have given the full story Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:46 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth your honour! I'm not going to name & shame because I don't really want to sink to that level, or possibly risk antagonising them any further.

Apparently they were under the impression I was "just taking it for a quick once around the block to check the gearbox". No idea where they got that impression from as I never said that, and told them when I phoned to enquire about it that I wanted to see how it felt to try commuting to work on it and do a run to work and back, (which is about 11 miles each way and seems like a thoroughly reasonable test-ride distance to me). Who books a test ride for a quick "once around the block"? Every other test ride I've been on, generally the dealer expects you to be out for about an hour or so.

Though this was a small 2 person family run place, rather than a big "proper" dealership, perhaps that's a factor. Either way I certainly wasn't impressed with the attitude of the boss.

As for trying to force myself to like a sports bike, it's more the idea of it. I wanted to try a small, light and nippy modern FI bike for getting around town and commuting on. I've always liked the look of some sports bikes and thought I may as well give one a go, rather than buying one outright and realising I hate it. So I've saved myself a lot of money Razz My Bandit 1200S is a lovely bike, but its so big and heavy and gets utterly crap MPG around town that I dont really want to use it for commuting, its superb at long distance work but stop start inner London traffic isnt doing it any favours. I wanted to try something small and light as a potential commuter.

A Street Triple may well be the next one to try. I've been eyeing up a Sprint GT too, though that seems a bit too much like the Bandit to warrant buying as a 2nd bike.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same experience on a Daytona but without the dealer knobbery.
I love the look but just couldn't manage more than five miles or so without proper aches and pains.
Luckily I'd already bought a Street Triple, I suggest you do the same. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer chap is clearly an idiot, probably got out the wrong side of the bed that day. I think he owes you an apology, but human nature being what it is, doubt you'll get one.

You've got to try the Striple. It's a true benchmark bike. Definitely a step up from the Fazer in terms of sportiness, but still with real, everyday usability. The Fazer makes a better all-rounder still imo, but the Triumph is the next step for more fun.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I had exactly the same experience on a Daytona but without the dealer knobbery.
I love the look but just couldn't manage more than five miles or so without proper aches and pains.

Same here and I was riding an older Daytona 650 at the time, but I did end up buying a Street Triple R.

Then I went chasing even more comfort with a Multistrada and got hooked on the power and torque, not so much on the weight and "Reliability" though.

So what combines the punch of the Multi without the "Italian Character", and the quick handling and cheeky nature of the STR.....
The MT-10, do you like power wheelies?
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/qV0WWH.jpg

Test one!... Or the MT-09

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

So what combines the punch of the Multi without the "Italian Character", and the quick handling and cheeky nature of the STR.....

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/qV0WWH.jpg

Test one!

Is this going to be another one that makes an impact like the Striple has? The thing about the Striple is, it has a real-world, useable level of power. I'd seriously love to be in the position to afford an MT10, but as with my fantasy over owning a KTM1290SDR, I wonder if actually I'd just find it too much after a while? A fair amount has been said about how aggressive they are. Although I suppose you could always switch the power mode on a commute day.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of the Tracers, an MT-09 is something I'd fancy but sadly out of my price range. An FZ1 is something I'm also very interested in but again dont know if I really need another litre bike when I've already got one. And yeah I'll definitely be looking into the Striples.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Apparently they were under the impression I was "just taking it for a quick once around the block to check the gearbox"

It'll undoubtedly be the fact that you took it on a motorway that's spooked them, as that's where most ANPR cameras are (presumably).

This issue was discussed here quite recently; but TBH how often do dealers actually put trade plates on bikes when they are taken out for a test ride? Because if not, since the road tax rules changed and tax discs were phased out, then the law is being broken each and every time (except for the unlikely possibility of a dealer actually taxing a bike while it's in their possession, ie for complete months at a a time)

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use A mode and TC3 (anti wheelie) but when the mood strikes the TC is turned down to 1 and Beast mode is unleashed... I agree that the 675 ST/R was ideal, enough power to out drag most other bikes from the lights, pretty comfortable and good on fuel while also being a hoot to ride.

I do miss that bike.

But the MT-10 has similar handling with more power, where the STR could be caught out at low revs the 10 just stomps up to 7K then tries to headbutt the horizon... I can't use all it's potential but it's not that scary and more comfortable for my knee.

It's actually quite relaxing to just tool around on, and if you have to use a boring road it has Cruise Control to rest your right hand.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I cant ride a sportsbike position, it absolutely ruined my back & knees, aching like a bitch after just 20 mins riding and being hunched over the tank like that,

I've found a bike's ergonomics far more of a challenge than a step up in power, and more intimidating. However, you might get used to it if you give it a chance. You're using muscles and stretching tendons which don't get exercised on your current bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't even get on with a CBR600F let alone a full arse-on-offer Gixxer. You're quite right to sack it off rather than kidding yourself that you'll somehow adjust yourself to fit a position designed for racing at full pelt on a track. Why should you, when bikes designed for actual humans are available?

Dealer is rageface because motorways are festooned with ANPR.

The offence is uses or keeps, there's no permits-or-allows. So strictly speaking they're right: you're on the hook for it, not them. However, if anything ever comes of it, I'd feel free to invoice them for the costs.

None of that makes them right. It makes them dodgy dickholes and they need to be named for great justice and lulz. Any of us could end up going there.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:13 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Street Triple.

I went from an SV650S to a Street Triple R and never looked back.

The Street feels like a BMX in comparison and is so easy to throw around. It's an extremely competent bike and still far better than I am on the public roads. When I'm in the mood to ride hard, the bike obliges. It's (IMO) bloody quick without being intimidating, sounds epic and handles really well.

On the other side of things, it's so easy to ride slowly when you are bimbling about. I love the ergo's of the bike, sporty without looking like you want it up the gary. The engine is flexible being a 3 cylinder, and mine does around 45mpg which is generally weekend use, so pretty good on fuel! It's also nice and compact, easy to wheel about and store and cheap to insure.

I'd highly recommend trying one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy2 wrote:
+1 on the Street Triple.

The Street feels like a BMX in comparison and is so easy to throw around. It's an extremely competent bike and still far better than I am on the public roads. When I'm in the mood to ride hard, the bike obliges. It's (IMO) bloody quick without being intimidating, sounds epic and handles really well.

On the other side of things, it's so easy to ride slowly when you are bimbling about. I love the ergo's of the bike, sporty without looking like you want it up the gary. The engine is flexible being a 3 cylinder, and mine does around 45mpg which is generally weekend use, so pretty good on fuel! It's also nice and compact, easy to wheel about and store and cheap to insure.

Word of the day: paradox. Your post has reminded me of a couple of things about the Striple. Although it may be theoretically possible to get a decent range out of the tank, it's not particularly large. And whilst it is a very tractable engine that you can be lazy with on gear changes, like something of considerably more capacity, I found myself just caning it everywhere, so I doubt if I ever got anywhere close to 45mpg! Usually ended up filling up by the 100 mile mark, if that - having no fuel gauge didn't help. But you wouldn't be looking for anything more on a sports bike, right? And anyway, maybe that says more about me than the bike Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
I usually use A mode and TC3 (anti wheelie) but when the mood strikes the TC is turned down to 1 and Beast mode is unleashed... I agree that the 675 ST/R was ideal, enough power to out drag most other bikes from the lights, pretty comfortable and good on fuel while also being a hoot to ride.

I take it that you've never learnt any finesse with the throttle.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
stonesie wrote:

Dunno Nobby. I've read in more than one place that the thing is more like an on/off switch in full power mode. Which is fine for a bit of hooliganism now and again, and what everyone asks the manufacturers to deliver when they're effectively taking a sports bike and supposedly making it into something more practical for everyday use, but not much fun in traffic. Last thing I'd want when going for a gap whilst filtering is monster wheelies! Fecking hated riding my RG500 in traffic.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I'm not going to name & shame because I don't really want to sink to that level, or possibly risk antagonising them any further.

Why not? Sounds like they were banking on you taking their lemon bike for a spin round the corner.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bozzy2 wrote:
+1 on the Street Triple.

Word of the day: paradox. Your post has reminded me of a couple of things about the Striple. Although it may be theoretically possible to get a decent range out of the tank, it's not particularly large. And whilst it is a very tractable engine that you can be lazy with on gear changes, like something of considerably more capacity, I found myself just caning it everywhere, so I doubt if I ever got anywhere close to 45mpg! Usually ended up filling up by the 100 mile mark, if that - having no fuel gauge didn't help. But you wouldn't be looking for anything more on a sports bike, right? And anyway, maybe that says more about me than the bike Laughing

I get around about 120 miles from the tank before the yellow light comes on, not sure how large reserve is but never tried. Quite right though, not a big tank. I mustn't be doing it right to make it last more than 100 miles though Twisted Evil I must try harder! Dance!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy2 wrote:
I mustn't be doing it right to make it last more than 100 miles though Twisted Evil I must try harder! Dance!

I'm not suggesting that's how everyone has to ride them. Just how I had to, seemingly Laughing Or rather, once I'd sussed how good they were for that kind of riding, I had to.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
I'm not going to name & shame because I don't really want to sink to that level, or possibly risk antagonising them any further.

Why not? Sounds like they were banking on you taking their lemon bike for a spin round the corner.

As said, I dont want to risk antagonising them, in the not entirely unforeseeable event that they happen to stumble across this, they've already got my licence and (apparently) sending the details to the police. Who know what else they might feel like doing with my personal details.

Maybe Im being an overly paranoid pussy, maybe not. But as the old adage goes, you dont shit in your own backyard. Seeing as its pretty much around the corner from where I live, from their behaviour so far I wouldnt put it past them to escalate things. I can't afford to be replacing my tyres every other week.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:27 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I couldn't even get on with a CBR600F let alone a full arse-on-offer Gixxer. You're quite right to sack it off rather than kidding yourself that you'll somehow adjust yourself to fit a position designed for racing at full pelt on a track. Why should you, when bikes designed for actual humans are available?

Dealer is rageface because motorways are festooned with ANPR.

The offence is uses or keeps, there's no permits-or-allows. So strictly speaking they're right: you're on the hook for it, not them. However, if anything ever comes of it, I'd feel free to invoice them for the costs.

None of that makes them right. It makes them dodgy dickholes and they need to be named for great justice and lulz. Any of us could end up going there.

But since no trade plates and the bike won't be registered to the dealer, the chances of any come back are approximately zero.

Of course, if the dealer did shop the OP (which clearly they won't) I'm sure that trading standards & the local press would be very interested.

And I'm also sure that the Small Claims Court would be equally happy to award damages at least equal to the OP's fine.

Personally, I'd visit the dealer and tell them to suck my balls.

But that's just me.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Dunno Nobby. I've read in more than one place that the thing is more like an on/off switch in full power mode. Which is fine for a bit of hooliganism now and again, and what everyone asks the manufacturers to deliver when they're effectively taking a sports bike and supposedly making it into something more practical for everyday use, but not much fun in traffic. Last thing I'd want when going for a gap whilst filtering is monster wheelies! Fecking hated riding my RG500 in traffic.

This, its aggressive in A mode and has a bit of snatch to it but B mode is ridiculous on the early 2016 bikes, they softened it off and re named the modes 123 for '17 model bikes. From what i hear the most aggressive mode now is roughly like A on mine.

It is possible to ride in B(east) but the amount of finess needed in town makes my wrist cramp up, why would you do that if you can simply close the throttle and tap a switch to make it way better and improve your control over the bike?

Tomorrow's the day it all changes, rolling road tune and Quick Shifter / Auto blipper being fitted so it should be smooth in all modes...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Maybe Im being an overly paranoid pussy, maybe not.

Nah just a pussy Wink I get it if you don't want the ladies of BCF to stir things up, but these guys sound like cowboys that need to be avoided.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
Apparently they were under the impression I was "just taking it for a quick once around the block to check the gearbox"

It'll undoubtedly be the fact that you took it on a motorway that's spooked them, as that's where most ANPR cameras are (presumably).

This issue was discussed here quite recently; but TBH how often do dealers actually put trade plates on bikes when they are taken out for a test ride? Because if not, since the road tax rules changed and tax discs were phased out, then the law is being broken each and every time (except for the unlikely possibility of a dealer actually taxing a bike while it's in their possession, ie for complete months at a a time)

Funnyish story -

Bought my Trophy as an ex demonstrator form Woburn Triumph. After a couple of years - yes years, I had an epiphany moment. I had never taxed it since I had it!!! Looked for the log book, couldn't find it so checked on line and it was taxed.

I went down to Woburn and saw the owner, seems they forgot to send the logbook off when I bought it and had continued to pay the road tax each time it came due. Thumbs Up

They apologised profusely. I said they could carry on paying it if they wanted. Laughing

They declined and sent the logbook off their and then.!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

street
triple
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2