Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Barely.

Thank you for confirming. Very Happy And that's kind of the point. They were never a popular car to start with. Note that I didn't tell the OP to go find one, it was an illustration that a niche version of a popular car (in this instance a Golf) can be better value.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Fiat 500.
chicks will think you have are a humungous wang

ftfy

Last edited by owl on 11:13 - 22 Aug 2017; edited 3 times in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
The other problem is the amount of doors, I have two kids in car seats to contend with.

That is a definite 4 door hatchback then. If I have to take my gransdson in wifies Megane cabriolet I have to put the roof down to fit the car seat Laughing

I'm not as flexible as I was.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
buy something rare and you'll have a hell of a time sourcing parts for it.

Or "performance". And the price of (new) consumables doesn't scale down with the age or value of the vehicle.

Overheard at my local garage, who are normally scrupulously polite both to and about customers: "He's moaning about the cost of discs and pads, did he think he could run an M5 on a Fiesta budget?"

Still, at 1000 miles a year, you're not likely to go through much if it doesn't need anything done when you buy it. I'd be more wary of electrical gremlins which (IME) crop up when you're not using a vehicle.

Still going with: Gumtree and local Facebook group, buy whatever's got a year's MOT and comes out cheapest for (purchase price + VED + insurance).

Think of it as a mini adventure (but don't get a Mini).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
buy something rare and you'll have a hell of a time sourcing parts for it.

Or "performance". And the price of (new) consumables doesn't scale down with the age or value of the vehicle.

Overheard at my local garage, who are normally scrupulously polite both to and about customers: "He's moaning about the cost of discs and pads, did he think he could run an M5 on a Fiesta budget?"

Still, at 1000 miles a year, you're not likely to go through much if it doesn't need anything done when you buy it. I'd be more wary of electrical gremlins which (IME) crop up when you're not using a vehicle.

Still going with: Gumtree and local Facebook group, buy whatever's got a year's MOT and comes out cheapest for (purchase price + VED + insurance).

Think of it as a mini adventure (but don't get a Mini).

Why? Are they bad? I have never driven one (girly and hairdressers cars innit Laughing )

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

This.

I have a 5-series. It uses big wide run-flats. They cost £200 a corner. They will always cost £200 a corner, even when the car is worth £200. And being a RWD car with 200 or so bhp, it eats tyres. Essentially, when the value of the car gets down to about a grand, getting the tyres down to 1.6mm will write it off.

Car has stop-start functionality? Congratulations, you have doubled the cost of a battery and you can no longer fit it yourself.

Buy the car you want but be aware what you're getting into. And before you choose, decide whether its for transport or for fun.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Decide whether its for transport or for fun.

But thats just such a depressing choice... I need to ping the boss for a pay rise.

Although saying that with the biggest little one finishing nursery I will be £800 a month better off from next month Smile

edit: Just had an email about a 1 series BMW M140i on lease £199 a month + VAT could be fun Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Why? Are they bad? I have never driven one (girly and hairdressers cars innit Laughing )

Bad is a strong word, but they're a typically BMW overpriced product selling on brand and image rather than quality.

Various issues - earlier ones suffered with gearbox problems; all of them suffer electrical gremlins / SRS, brake-pad and ABS sensor issues; most of them have burst engine mounts and extremely soggy suspension bits by now.

They're also pretty hopeless at being a 4 seater car TBH - for what is now a fairly big body shape, the rear of the early cars is very cramped.

They're a fairly good drive, mind, when they're in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
edit: Just had an email about a 1 series BMW M140i on lease £199 a month + VAT could be fun Very Happy

£55 per week, excluding insurance and fuel, to do 20 miles?

You need your head examining if you're considering that!!!! Laughing

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
[don't get a Mini[/b]).

They're actually quite decent little cars, unless you want to put children in them in car seats. Eventually your back and/or shoulders will start to complain.
They also seem to hold value so for dirt cheap hack motoring they're not going to be the best value option.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:55 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a new mini and loved it. It was fun to drive and mine never had any problems. But yeah not with kids in the back and trying to find push chairs that fit in the boot would be a laugh. I suppose they do do a 4/5 door now but still no.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I used to have a new mini and loved it. It was fun to drive and mine never had any problems.

Did you pay £2 - 5K for it?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

I did look at the 500 with the last car I bought, liked the look of them (it was for the wife) but fuck me the lack of power was laughable, I'm sure you get used to driving it in a certain was but I nearly go rear ended on the A40 on the test drive as 3 gear seemed to max out at about 20mph. The other problem is the amount of doors, I have two kids in car seats to contend with.

Have a look at the MKI MINI Cooper then, i had one a few cars back, one of the best/most fun handling cars i have ever driven, and with 120 bhp on tap it's reasonably nippy too, i had mine for 2.5 years and only wanted an ABS sensor, i even got t-boned in the rear quarter and spun around 180 deg, and the only damage was a wheel arch trim and a buckled wheel, i was amazed

It felt like driving/playing an arcade game, the steering feel was amazing

I only got rid of mine as it was a little on the small side as the Mrs wanted to go camping a few times a year, and was a ball-ache fitting everything in

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:19 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not suitable for putting kids in, but OP should look at it anyway because lulz?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Have a look at the MKI MINI Cooper then, i had one a few cars back, one of the best/most fun handling cars i have ever driven, and with 120 bhp on tap it's reasonably nippy too

Look at Swift Sports as well; same sort of thing, but cheaper and just as fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's not suitable for putting kids in, but OP should look at it anyway because lulz?

I was wondering; original requirement was 5 door but there's a lot of 3 doors getting mentioned, so I thought I'd throw the Swift in.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Have a look at the MKI MINI Cooper then, i had one a few cars back, one of the best/most fun handling cars i have ever driven, and with 120 bhp on tap it's reasonably nippy too

Ignis sport. Even cheaper and just as fun

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:49 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MX-5 thread in 3... 2...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Going off topic now, but i did test drive one when i was looking at getting the MINI, was fun to drive, but the seating position was far too upright, felt like sitting in an armchair, and was very rattly/tinny sounding inside

Felt much nicer in the MINI, but like you say, the Swift is far cheaper

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:35 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MX-5 thread in 3... 2...

Supra, 4 spacious seats.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I did look at the 500 with the last car I bought, liked the look of them (it was for the wife) but fuck me the lack of power was laughable, I'm sure you get used to driving it in a certain was but I nearly go rear ended on the A40 on the test drive as 3 gear seemed to max out at about 20mph. The other problem is the amount of doors, I have two kids in car seats to contend with.

They're laughably under-powered, the company ones we had struggled getting up the ramp out of the basement, even the Stig has trouble getting one up a hill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpa26h5Hp8 Very Happy

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
natefz6 wrote:
I used to have a new mini and loved it. It was fun to drive and mine never had any problems.

Did you pay £2 - 5K for it?

No but I was also using it for commuting and doing quite a few work miles that pretty much paid for it. Then I moved to London and it sat outside gathering dust, at one point i realised I had not even got in it for 3 months so I sold it.

Anyone had an A class?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
i realised I had not even got in it for 3 months so I sold it.

For £2 - 5 K?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and 20year old cars, with all non std parts and big brake kits for other cars engineered to fit, don't get cheaper to keep on the road either with age. Im glad I run unfashionably small 205/40/17 tyres compared to the expensive current wide tyres in huge diameters that all new cars from Corsa's to Range Rover's have.

Some of the German and Japanese uber techno advanced stuff can be made simpler and cheaper to replace parts than using OEM though eventually. Things like disabling 4ws, and replacing adaptive dampers with coil overs, and electronic controlled aero, with fixed wing splitters and wings etc.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK2 focus 1.6 petrol, reliable if boring. Fiat 500's are shite and fall apart faster than a mini does which takes some doing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3