BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Car should I buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:23 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No for about £10k Very Happy I did offer to give it back to BMW as that was who I financed it with. They told me it would cost £2k to give it back to them due to depreciation, so I advertised it privately. A BMW dealership phoned up as soon as the advert went out and offered me £1.6k more than the outstanding finance. They then drove down from Scotland to pick it up from london.. anyway bit off topic.

I just picked the figure of 2-5k out the air as that was what I am willing to spend. I don't really want to pull money from investments or finance it.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
MK2 focus 1.6 petrol, reliable if boring.

Probably a good option. I ran a mk1 2.0 focus from 23k to 115k and didn't have any major expenses, although I suspect the clutch was nearing the end when I sold it. It never stirred the soul, but it was easy ownership.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKV Golf 1.6FSI.

In the 2-5K budget, big enough for kids and junk, reasonably cheap to run (40-45mpg is reasonable, 50 if you're in no hurry) and insure, reliable, readily available bits ( I assume). Slightly more refined than a focus, which is nice if you have to spend time in it. Just enough power for motorway work, although all the revs required.

Downsides: Bit dull, no DAB radio as standard, road tax is marginally higher than the usual 1.2L suspects.

Source: I have one and do 300+miles/week in it. 35,000miles put on it this year, no issues.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

paid not much over 2 grand for a low mileage, immaculate, fsh, e46 325ci "sport".... it's been faultless for the 20 months I've had it, having put around 35k on it in that time.

changed brake pads, few sets of tyres, servicing items, and a radiator as the original was starting to sag after 100k.

parts aren't even expensive for them, the radiator cost me £45.

have driven it to italy and back three times through germany/switzerland and the alps... total comfort, mile munching ability, handling when needed, nice 6-pot noises, and a huge boot. can't recommend enough.

thinking of replacing it with a diesel one, as we're doing more miles than anticipated, but this one's been so reliable and good, i'm at odds to get rid of it while its alive tbh

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I was wondering; original requirement was 5 door but there's a lot of 3 doors getting mentioned, so I thought I'd throw the Swift in.

Seems reasonable to me but they only did the Sport in 5 door guise quite recently so he may struggle to get one in budget.
https://www.testdriven.co.uk/photos/DSC_0301.jpg

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
paid not much over 2 grand for a low mileage, immaculate, fsh, e46 325ci "sport".... it's been faultless for the 20 months I've had it, having put around 35k on it in that time.

How do you find getting the kids in and out the back of it?

I could never fully open the big doors on mine in any car park, but the frameless windows helped access from time to time.

Also mine spent a lot of its life running on 5 cylinders. Buy an aging bahnstormer and you're relying a lot on luck for a trouble-free life.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
MKV Golf 1.6FSI.

In the 2-5K budget, big enough for kids and junk, reasonably cheap to run (40-45mpg is reasonable, 50 if you're in no hurry) and insure, reliable, readily available bits ( I assume). Slightly more refined than a focus, which is nice if you have to spend time in it. Just enough power for motorway work, although all the revs required.

Downsides: Bit dull, no DAB radio as standard, road tax is marginally higher than the usual 1.2L suspects.

Source: I have one and do 300+miles/week in it. 35,000miles put on it this year, no issues.

You must have the only golf fsi thats still going, even the new ones (tfsi) are total shite. Vw cant seem to make timing chains that last more than 5 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
asta1 wrote:
MKV Golf 1.6FSI.

You must have the only golf fsi thats still going, even the new ones (tfsi) are total shite. Vw cant seem to make timing chains that last more than 5 minutes.

Or the injectors, my Scirocco had to have all 4 replaced at a total cost of over a grand, and let's not speak of the 1.4 TSi, the early ones are shockingly unreliable

VW's certainly aren't as reliable these days as they were once renown for

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
ocatoro wrote:

How do you find getting the kids in and out the back of it?

I could never fully open the big doors on mine in any car park, but the frameless windows helped access from time to time.

Also mine spent a lot of its life running on 5 cylinders. Buy an aging bahnstormer and you're relying a lot on luck for a trouble-free life.

mrs has a 5dr polo, and honestly I find it easier with the 2dr bmw... when the back door is open on the polo I find I'm stood too far back to easily access the seatbelty bits and for attaching isofix if the seat has been out of the car. with the 2dr i simply step into the opposite footwell and reach across, its oddly much easier a process despite the usual rhetoric on the topic.

re: opening doors in carparks... with baby, you get to use the fancy pants parent and child spaces Very Happy but yeah.. if you're in a tight spot, the pillarless doors with the window down can be a godsend for getting in and out.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 20 miles a week, i'd be looking for anything facebook / gumtree can throw up with a years MOT and cheap tax, if it makes it to year 2 then thats a bonus.

Whatever you get, nobody else notices you driving it anyway.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Bad is a strong word, but they're a typically BMW overpriced product selling on brand and image rather than quality.

Various issues - earlier ones suffered with gearbox problems; all of them suffer electrical gremlins / SRS, brake-pad and ABS sensor issues; most of them have burst engine mounts and extremely soggy suspension bits by now.

They're also pretty hopeless at being a 4 seater car TBH - for what is now a fairly big body shape, the rear of the early cars is very cramped.

They're a fairly good drive, mind, when they're in good shape.

Would that be the actual gearbox problems, or the crankshaft thrust washer issues, that were misdiagnosed as gearbox problems and are still happening today?

Apropos of nothing, I was invited (as a minor local celebrity - my radio show was partly sponsored by the dealer) to the 'prestigious' launch of the new Mini, back in 2000 and something - I was quite hopeful, it being a BMW and all, but within 20 seconds of sitting it, I had inadvertently dismantled the window switchgear and snapped off one of the seat adjusters; I think it went downhill from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I was quite hopeful, it being a BMW and all, but within 20 seconds of sitting it, I had inadvertently dismantled the window switchgear and snapped off one of the seat adjusters; I think it went downhill from there.

Interesting, I never had them down as unreliable.
My mum had one when they first came out. Covered about 50k in 4 years and it was faultless.
Wife had one form new 06 to 14 and covered 90k in it. Only major repair was seized rear calipers around 70k. Apparently that is not uncommon.
Mother in law had one from 07 to 13 and covered 100k in it. Again, nothing major ever went wrong with it. And in each instance the
resale value was strong.

All this talk of mini's though is pointless. Absolutely do not buy one if you have kids. My wife loved her mini and was absolutely resolute that she would not get rid of it. After one year and enduring shoulder and back pain she folded and got herself a Civic. Wide opening doors, big boot, comfortable to drive. Wishes she'd changed it before the first baby arrived.
Not sure if a 5/6 year old Civic falls into your budget. I'm guessing it might be over. Certainly for the mileage you're looking to do, bangernomics makes sense.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:42 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all that I bought possibly the uncoolest boring car I could find Very Happy

After much driving round looking at all sorts of cars (A2, A3, Aclass, Fiesta, Focus, Aygo) and doing a few test drives I found they all had something wrong with them that I didn't like the look of. i.e no history high and mileage, rusty door sills, ex smokers cars, really tatty, dinked, too small or suspect sellers. I then came across something I definitely was not looking for a Vauxhall Meriva, 07plate, 30k, one owner, perfect nick, full service history not a spot of rust anywhere on it, (well maybe a couple on the exhaust but that is it). Its a 1.7dtci (Isuzu) but is pre DPF. It solves some of the problems I had with the bimmer as all the seats can fold down and its quite tall for fitting bikes(cycles) in the back.

It was owned by a disabled guy who had it serviced just about every year and collected the receipts for everything. 12 Months MOT, new tyres all round and a full tank of fuel.

It will do for now, certainly not setting my heart on fire Very Happy but I needed something for this week and it was there and the best I had seen. The kids love it, the high back seats mean they can see out the windows, rear entertainment so they can listen to their kids music and I don't have to and wow..... 2 sunroofs (I dont know why but the kids love them Very Happy)

I might give the boss a nudge for a company car as there are some cracking business lease deals around.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on top of diesel maintenance and do your own between services oil and filter changes on it, and it sounds like you'll have a decent motor there (for a Vauxhall) Laughing

Seriously it'll do the job, and if your kids are happy and entertained, then that's a load of stress you don't have.

You might be able to get a mild remap done on it, if you fancied just a touch more poke, but I wouldn't really waste the money tbh.

Im sure it's great for picking up bike parts and projects in too! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3