Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Career Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Career Advice Reply with quote

Morning all,

After opinions and advice after receiving two job offers (lucky me!).

Me: 36 y/o IT Infrastructure Engineer, ~5 years experience, predominantly VM Ware, Server 2008/2012, Exchange, some storage and networking. SCOM, SCCM, Veeam, NetBackup etc etc

Job 1:
Corporate Service Provider (think Capita, Accenture)
Supporting Win Server & VMWare only
Salary £46k + overtime & on-call
No bonus scheme
Pension 16% employer&employee
Hours rota'd between 0800 & 1800
Usual corporate healthcare perks etc
Training - at workplace only

Job 2
Global Real Estate (JLL, CBRE etc)
Supporting mainly VMWare, Server & Storage but scope for Networks and other areas
Salary £47k + overtime & on-call
Performance related bonus around 12% of base salary
Pension 14% employer&employee
Hours rota'd between 0730 and 1830
Usual corporate healthcare perks etc
Training - external certified (ITIL, VCAP etc)

Currently I am bikeless due to theft, so I train from Erith (yes yes!) into London Cannon St. Both places are walking distance from there. Purchasing another bike is possible, but not high on the list ATM.

The sensible head on me suggests taking Job 2 and developing further. I'm not that old! Stick out the shift work for a while and then see where the opportunities take me. Also Job 1 would limit my field of expertise. Moving on would mean I'd need to be a pro in Win Server and VMWare to progress.

The lazy git in me says Job 1 and live on easy street (and most likely get very bored!).

I know it's not your job to answer the question for me, but what would you choose?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:25 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hours don't look that different to me?

Job 2 looks better from what you have posted.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:16 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job 1.

1 hour additional on each day for 1k more a year. Nah. Even factoring in a bonus, its never going to be great, that will be to suck you in. Mine was similar. Wink

5 working days a week, so 5 more hours here x 52, it'll be less but just max numbers.

5*52=260 hours in total over a year.

Change that to 200 for holidays and shit.

£1000 for 200 hours work. Would you? I work 40 hour weeks and get paid a little less... so no, no I would not take job 2. My time is worth more than that. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Job 1.

1 hour additional on each day for 1k more a year. Nah. Even factoring in a bonus, its never going to be great, that will be to suck you in. Mine was similar. Wink

5 working days a week, so 5 more hours here x 52, it'll be less but just max numbers.

5*52=260 hours in total over a year.

Change that to 200 for holidays and shit.

£1000 for 200 hours work. Would you? I work 40 hour weeks and get paid a little less... so no, no I would not take job 2. My time is worth more than that. Thumbs Up

I think he means the working hours are rota'd between those times, probably on a "standard" 37.5 hour work week, although I could be wrong.

So if you start at 8am you finish at 4.30pm, if you start at 9.30am you finish at 6pm etc.

OP needs to clarify working hours on each role Question

As for my advice, MSP are c*nts, and estate agents are c*nts, so enjoy that, but also if possible try take the opportunity to meet the team you will be working with, I find there's generally 3 cornerstones, Job, Money and People, it's very rare to find all 3 things are good, the most of I've got is 2 out of 3 Sad

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:43 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I think he means the working hours are rota'd between those times, probably on a "standard" 37.5 hour work week, although I could be wrong.

That's how I read it I am pretty sure the EU working directive bollocks says you can only be contracted for a max 48 hour week unless you specifically opt out.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job 2, said it yourself, job 1 is limiting not just in terms of what you'll do, but in terms of progress, and future prospects.

externally certified training is worth more than extra money, and slightly less convenient hours are worth it to keep your options open for the future and for the progression it will allow you.

you know what makes sense, but the question is I guess how fond are you really of easy street.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.

both roles are 0900-1730, then adjusted, 0730-1600, 1000-1830.

After careful consideration, Job 2 it is.

Cheers!

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, job 2 appears to be more beneficial in all stated areas.

Perhaps your work might be slightly more challenging? But even so; once you progress then i'm sure it will be more lucrative in years to come.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:42 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I am pretty sure the EU working directive bollocks says you can only be contracted for a max 48 hour week unless you specifically opt out.

See if you can find an IT contract that doesn't come with an opt-out clause pre-written into it.

Just watch that they don't sneak in a slavery payback clause for the external training.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
natefz6 wrote:
I am pretty sure the EU working directive bollocks says you can only be contracted for a max 48 hour week unless you specifically opt out.

See if you can find an IT contract that doesn't come with an opt-out clause pre-written into it.

Just watch that they don't sneak in a slavery payback clause for the external training.

I had one that said I couldn't work for any "competitor" in the same sector within a 10 mile radius for 18 months Shocked in London... told them they were mental if they thought I was signing it, they tried to give me some speel about them not "really" enforcing it, it's to protect themselves blah blah blah, eventually they amended it, but I still didn't end up actually signing anything Middle Finger

they love sneaking that crap in, it's shocking how many people don't read their contracts

Wobbling Dog
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:56 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the jealousy rant against this £50K job that the train drivers got in the Aslef Tossers thread ?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:04 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wobbling Dog wrote:
where's the jealousy rant against this £50K job that the train drivers got in the Aslef Tossers thread ?

Not sure IT engineers have gone on strike and fucked people over yet Very Happy

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:14 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your job!

Slightly off topic but - is the average wage in London higher due to the living cost in London being higher?

I swear around here (Lytham) youd have to be a high up IT consultant to be on £50k + bonus

Ash

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
Wobbling Dog wrote:

Not sure IT engineers have gone on strike and fucked people over yet Very Happy

Also tend to do a bit more than pull a lever back and forth and moan about how tough life is.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
natefz6 wrote:

If there's call out involved, they'll be wanting a waiver signed.

They won't worry about a general work week, I seem to remember the directive stating you have to work 13 weeks on the trot at 48+ hours, so I'd imagine most people would have at least one day off in that time.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:49 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it depends on where you will actually be working.

Is the Capita-esque job doing IT stuff for the company, or being contracted out onto one of their contracts? If it's contracted out then its likely to be bank or a govt department. I would choose either of those over anything to do with property.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:43 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I seem to remember the directive stating you have to work 13 weeks on the trot at 48+ hours

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

"You can't work more than 48 hours a week on average - normally averaged over 17 weeks."

Possible exception: "as a domestic servant in a private household" - ah, thanks, EU, always looking out for the little serf. Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1