Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyone have a route for a 4/5 day trip around Scotland?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Does anyone have a route for a 4/5 day trip around Scotland? Reply with quote

As per the title, I am planning to take a last minute long weekend up to Scotland, and wondered if any of you had a route you have used in the past and can recommend? I have searched the forum and the web but can't find anything that fits the bill.

I'm travelling from Manchester, looking to do 4 or 5 days. Not massive mileage, 200-300 miles per day I expect. Will be camping, and I'm looking for good roads, scenery and castles to look at.

Any other general Scotland tips would be gratefully received too!

Cheers.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get north of Fort William, then there really are no bad choices.

EVERYWHERE is stunning.

Midges are an absolute pain in the arse though. Especially if you're camping by water. To the point where it is very unpleasant to be outside the tent!

Also, Eilean Donan Castle is worth a visit Thumbs Up

300 miles a day round twisty roads seems a little excessive though! It's a tour, not an endurance event!

Last edited by Monkeypony on 12:24 - 22 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a little report of my loop round the country a couple of years ago.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=293889&highlight=

We were a total of 6 nights in Scotland, from Glasgow to Loch Garry, to Ullapool for 2 nights, John o' Groats for a night, and the final night in the Cairngorms.

The only bit we didn't do that I would have liked to was Applecross.

You'll have a blast!

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:24 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I have heard about the midges - hoping they might have started to die off a little by September!

Just hoping to find a route map I can follow, but may end up just winging it as I can't seem to find anything at the moment!

Edit: Don't suppose you have a google map route for your trip? Such a shame the bloody photos have gone too!

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
Don't suppose you have a google map route for your trip? Such a shame the bloody photos have gone too!

Ah! Didn't realise the pics had gone, bugger!

It's not the most detailed map, but it's a start!

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did most of the NC500 a couple of weeks back, stunning scenery and midges weren't a problem at all.

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:49 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony - thanks for that route - it's a start!

TbirdX - how many days did you do it in?

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:00 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 day.

I didn't set out to do it at all, it was kind of incidental. Not the way to do it as I did most of it at speed and didn't stop at all.

I just wanted to get to john o groats, from near Ullapool and back and just figured I'd do it all in one direction.

I shall go back and do it on the bike at some point.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the two Scotland trips in my sig. They cover most of the best. Each trip was pretty much of the duration you're looking to do.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:29 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many good roads it's hard to know where to start. I'm lucky enough to live here and have easy access to some of the best and I'm also well informed about the ones to avoid.

The borders have some good roads but for me the real beauties are North of the Central belt (Glasgow/Edinburgh). I would head for Perth by the quickest route possible which unfortunately is by the A9 (average speed cameras). From there you can head West on the A85 and eventually meet up with the A82 at Crianlarich. A few miles further North and the road forks at Tyndrum - left onto the A85 again and head for Oban or if it were me I'd stay on the A82 and head for Glencoe. This is one of my all time favourite roads. The run through Bridge of Orchy and across Rannoch moor is sublime. As you ride past the ski centre and come to the start of Glencoe there's a small road a few hundred yards further on, to the left. If you've got an hour or so to spare the run down Glen Etive to the road end at the end of Loch Etive offers some stunning scenery. Glencoe really needs no introduction and IMO is a must do. Brilliant in sunshine and spookily magnificent in the rain. The A82 north of Glencoe has been spoiled in places due to over zealous use of double white lines and some stupid 50 limits.
The road out to Mallaig has some stunning scenery and is another option if you've got time. Assuming you head further North on the A82, I would turn left at Invergarry. You now can't find any bad roads, some stunning scenery and great bike riding through Glen Garry, Glen Shiel and past the 5 Sisters. The A87 will take you all the way to Skye (busy, expensive and very hard to find accommodation but stunning nonetheless). Alternatively turn off before Skye on the A890 heading for Stromeferry, Lochcarron and Achnasheen. It's not my favourite road, particularly in high season, but if you get it quiet the Bealach na Ba road to Applecross is worth doing at least once. The Wester Ross Trail from there to Kinlochewe is ok when quiet but shit when busy. Whether you do the Applecross route or head to Achnasheen you'll eventually come to Loch Maree and Gairloch. Again everything from here is superb and much of it's covered by the NC500.

I would avoid the A9 from Perth to Inverness at all costs, average speed cameras and over zealous police make it a complete drag. If you do need to go from Perth to Inverness I suggest taking the A93 through Blairgowrie and on to Glenshee and into Royal Deeside. Take the B896 from Crathie heading for Tomintoul and then Carrbridge. From there it's 20 odd miles of A9 to Inverness but beware - it's very heavily policed.

On the East coast, the A90 is just mind numbing dual carriageway and if you do need to go to Aberdeen take the A93 as above. Aberdeen to Inverness has the A96 which is too busy and another cash cow for Police Scotland - Avoid, I live here and never use it - there are much better routes.

Any questions about particular roads, just ask. I've done most of them many times, occasionally in sunshine Wink

PS. Chickenstrip does do some great photos and write ups. Suspect he's on the payroll of tourist boards all over Europe. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

PS. Chickenstrip....Suspect he's on the payroll of tourist boards all over Europe. Laughing

I wish... Rolling Eyes
At least you can't say I'm biased towards any one particular country Italy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

300 miles a day round twisty roads seems a little excessive though! It's a tour, not an endurance event!

Especially since you'd cover the NC500 in one and a bit days. It's really worth spending more time on than that. Stop and take in the views, the silence, the remote feel.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the A74M / M74. There's a small B road that runs pretty much alongside, far more fun.

Having worked in Scotland for the last couple of years most of the country is stunning - I've just been round the South West (Dumfries and Galloway) and that's a bit of hidden gem too. As long as you avoid the Glasgow and Edinburgh bit (from a fun motorcycling view) you should be ok.
The tales about needing waterproofs aren't lies though. It can be very changeable.

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got back from Scotland . It was fantastic .

I left Peterborough and just headed for for Loch Ness to have a nose from there followed the signs to fort William and camped for the night .
I didn't have any plans at all so just asked the locals , I went to look at the rail viaduct near by , was told about apple cross with the up and over road , had dinner and went back over.
From there I did the nc500 , I didn't even think of doing it but made sense , I had all my gear so just camped when I saw a good spot or camp site . I did castles , beaches , more castles , beaches , mountains , sheep , John o groats etc . It was great
Plenty of fuel stops and camp sites .
It's the first time I've done a trip on my own and god it was great , no discussions about being hungry , where to eat , where to camp .
I'll definitely do it again on my own .

As said really , north of Glasgow all good .
Didn't see one police car but did do a bit of the a9 FFS !

go have fun

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:43 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies, been away with work so haven't had a chance to look.

I have bought a Michelin map and intend to plot a rough route based on the advice above and what I've read online. Not sure I'll go as far north as John O'Groats, but will probably go as far as Ullapool. Have heard good things about Applecross too.

Just need to repair the holes the mice have kindly chewed through my tent, then I'm waiting for a nice weekend and pissing off! VERY EXCITE!!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
Thanks all for the replies, been away with work so haven't had a chance to look.

I have bought a Michelin map and intend to plot a rough route based on the advice above and what I've read online. Not sure I'll go as far north as John O'Groats, but will probably go as far as Ullapool. Have heard good things about Applecross too.

Just need to repair the holes the mice have kindly chewed through my tent, then I'm waiting for a nice weekend and pissing off! VERY EXCITE!!

Would you like to borrow my custom made CBR600F hard luggage?

You can see pictures of it in the BCF barbecue thread.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it couple weeks ago and detailed my routes with step by step point and google maps in my thread here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=321042

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:34 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TbirdX has suggested- The NC500 could be done easily in your allocated timescale & would require little planning ,as most of it is already online . There is an interactive map and places to stay(incase you choose against camping all the time..or the weather turns), things to do etc here https://www.northcoast500.com/
Please take loads of photos/vids etc to inspire others..Me!!!
wild camping is not going to be am issue.

...returning to look at the map..dependent upon your riding style(ie I believe the Police are not fond of Speeding)- you could opt to do 1/2 of the route at a leisurely pace & return to do the rest later...and making fantastic memories and keeping your licence too!..Winner winner...chicken dinner! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1