Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smart Watches?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Smart Watches? Reply with quote

Smart watches, talk to me!

Want, but do not need, so a little self indulgent.

What watches are worth looking at? Does anyone have any experience.

The good, the bad and the ugly?

I have a Google Pixel phone and they have finally released the google watch (made by LG), but reviews leave a lot to be desired for.

I don't want to spend a fortune.

I am not needing all the fitness stuff with it, do dosen't have to be super spec'ed, but would want it to be fast and very usable.

Android, obvs.

Tyia.

Thumbs Up Karma

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 14:21 - 23 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Smart Watches? Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
dosen't have to be super specked

https://assets.marthastewart.com/styles/wmax-520-highdpi/d39/egg-dyeing-app-d107182-speckle-teal0414/egg-dyeing-app-d107182-speckle-teal0414_vert.jpg?itok=a_GueOwV

I don't smart watch, but it would help if you explained what you wanted to get out of it as there are a number of different types that cater for different markets, like you mentioned non fitness is a start. Also what style do you prefer, classic looking or space age etc...

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Smart Watches? Reply with quote

vice wrote:

https://s20.postimg.org/f1tipt1hp/Screenshot_2017-08-23_at_14.22.20.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about more info.

Um, minimal looking tbh. and functionality only fairly basic needed really. Read messages etc.

Ha, tbh, the more I think about it, the more i realise i probably don't need it.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a fad imho....i had one for a short while and never really used it. In the end I just used it as a direction indicator when using googlemaps to back up the sound in the earphone in case I missed an instruction. I took the smart watch module out the strap and Velcrod it onto the dash.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:15 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Moto360 which isn't bad... I tend to not use it now though. I should retry it. If not, and I can find it... you can come collect and give it a whirl.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just one a fairly basic one, and not wanting to spend a huge amount of cash, you can't go far wrong with a Pebble

Though not currently for sale anymore (Pebble were bought out by Fitbit) the software is still being updated, and there is a decent community of software developers still working on content for it

I'd suggest looking for a 2nd hand Pebble Time, has a colour display (albeit only 64 colours), but as an "always on" smart watch it has a battery life in the order of days rather than hours (i tend to charge mine every 4-5 days)

Loads of customisable watch faces to display whatever you fancy, and had good support for reading SMS, emails, Farcebook notifications etc, can even answer or cancel/mute incoming calls

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Sony Smart Watch 3 for 2 years now, got it for £80 so thought why not. I just use it as a normal watch really, but it's handy for quickly seeing who is calling/texting you on the move. Battery lasts 2 days, loads of different watch faces available. Not sure I'd recommend one to be honest, a cheap fitness band has all the features I'd need and they're around £15 these days.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smart watch but only use it to tell the time and get email/text alerts. Sometimes I have Pokemon Go running but thats it. They are pretty neat in a "look, I have a smart watch!" way but I really don't utilise enough of its features to make buying another one worthwhile.

Rolling Eyes

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i think I would be the same as most people and only use very few features until i get board and set it aside to catch dust.

@paddy. the Moto watch was one i was looking at. How did you find it when you used it?

I have looked at a few pebbles online, so I may have a punt at one of them to see how I get on.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:20 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin, Vivosmart HR+.
It's small and very minimal, yet still pushes all notifications from my phone.

I use it daily. And record my rides (cycles), to and from work. Great for tracking speeds and distances as well as heart rate etc Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:06 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost everyone who bought a smart watch wrote:
I have a [something-or-other smart watch] which isn't bad... I tend to not use it now though.

I think that tells you everything you need to know about smartwatches. Razz

The fitness stuff is about all smartwatches actually do apart from let you read text messages and emails on your watch for those occasions your phone is too far out of reach.

Keep looking and find yourself a different toy to want. Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original Pebble, and now a Pebble Time. Handy for checking texts and calls without getting the phone out, so I can choose to ignore or answer discretely. I also use it in the car for controlling the music playback and answering the phone. I use timers and alarms, and have appointment reminders. That's all paired with an iPhone; with Android the functionality is greater.

I did have an Apple watch, but the display wasn't that good in sunlight, and did my eyes in.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I have an original Pebble, and now a Pebble Time. Handy for checking texts and calls without getting the phone out, so I can choose to ignore or answer discretely. I also use it in the car for controlling the music playback and answering the phone. I use timers and alarms, and have appointment reminders. That's all paired with an iPhone; with Android the functionality is greater.

I did have an Apple watch, but the display wasn't that good in sunlight, and did my eyes in.

You can also use it for satnav, if using Google Maps on your phone, you can actually get it to send the next direction to your phone

Could come in handy on a motorbike, strap it onto the handle bars and have the satnav running in your pocket

Also fully waterproof too

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, tried it with satnav. Bit too gimmicky.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:32 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of fitness watches that I bought for doing sports, however, I don't think I could go back to a normal watch now. I had a garmin fenix3 orignally to track runs and shit, but it's a pretty big watch and was driving me nuts wearing it all the time. I ended up getting the Garmin vivosmart 3 for just general use.

Tbh, being able to see at a glance whether I need to ignore a call/text is worth it's weight in gold.

The other big thing for me is that it reminds me when I've forgotten my phone, and can help me locate it because it vibrates when bluetooth disconnects/reconnects. Small silly thing, and definitely not an advertised "feature", but by god it's useful.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had a Sony Smartwatch 3 for a couple of years and wouldn't be without it.

I use it for reading emails/txts/whatsapp without having to go to the phone. Occasionally use it to send texts.

Also tells me when I've left the phone somewhere (out of bluetooth range).

Have got a nifty little app that lets me see on the watch what the phone's camera is seeing. Handy for looking behind equipment that's otherwise hard to get to.

Works as a trusted device for Android so you don't have to bother using your pin/fingerprint to unlock the phone while you have it in bluetooth range.

Can control music tracks - don't use that one much.

Battery life is better than the latest ones and it also has a bigger screen.

It also tells the time.

Argos are selling factory reconditioned ones on ebay (good as new with 1 year warranty) for £80

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:33 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Smartwatch 3 and I use it constantly. Particularly useful for Strava. However, it hasn't (and never will get) an update to Androidwear 2.0, so it's definitely at the end of its shelf life.
LG make some pretty good Androidwear watched. The G Watch R is getting on abit, so should be cheap enough and, as far as I remember, will be getting (maybe already has) Androidwear 2.0.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Gear S2 Smartwatch.I like the varying watch faces, it works as a fitness thing .... and it looks like a normal watch. The latter point is a big plus.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Huawei W1 watch, love it, use it extensively every day and wouldn't be without it.

It allows me to keep my phone on silent and get notifications still. It's much more discreet at work glancing at my watch than my phone. It also stops me pulling out my phone a few times an hour to see if I've missed a notification.

"Ok Google" or whatever it is these days sucks so badly it's a pointless gimmick IMO. Much of the time it says "Cannot connect to Google at this time". Like to be able to change Spotify in the car by tapping the watch too.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android wear seems really limited in functionality. I'd look at Samsung's offerings (gear jobbies) which appear much more capable (from a developer's point of view).
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie has a Garmin something watch linked to her samsung S7. She loves it but I think mainly for her keep fit stuff linked to the apps on her phone.

I, on the other hand, have a beautiful Rotary mechanical moon-phase watch that pretty much just tells me the time.

It doesn't even have a battery Thumbs Up

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:16 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Galaxy Gear S2 Smartwatch.I like the varying watch faces, it works as a fitness thing .... and it looks like a normal watch. The latter point is a big plus.

Oh right, faces!

I have Holly from Red Dwarf as my watch face. It makes me smile.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ_Z3hdUEAEFrmy.jpg

Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2