Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

jack to lift tront wheel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: jack to lift tront wheel Reply with quote

Hi guys,
does anyone here have an experience with scissors lift/jack like this one here on amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tammible-Motorcycle-Adjustable-Kickstand-Maintaining/dp/B07Q349NNJ/
or ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Scissor-Jack-Adjustable-Kickstand-Table-Lifting-Paddock-Stand-Black/392733144184
?

I need to lift the front a bit to replace the steering bearings so I thought this might be place under the engine and used in conjuncture with my stand to held the bike for a bit... I don't have an access to a garage, scrap blocks of wood, car jacks, etc. hence I'm thinking about this.
Of course I've read the reviews and don't trust them at all.

Any advice/experience welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd put the money towards an abba stand with front lift arm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the wheelie against the wall approach then get a mate to put a bar through the rear wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:47 - 17 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are only good for little motocross bikes and the like. You want an under headstock stand for fork out work, and a normal front paddock stand for wheel out only work. You need a normal rear paddock stand for both of these to work... so all in all it's a bit of a hassle. I've got both aforementioned front stands, two rear stands and an ABBA stand, and my garage is all stands all over the shop.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is almost exactly what we use and have done fro 20 years or more !

Oh I think the one we have is Sealey used several times a day I am professional
ain stand or abba stand + jack works well fro font end work

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:13 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these scissor stands - they are very good - I used mine
to lower the engine out of a 600cc 4 cylinder Honda - just make sure you set up on a nice flat surface.

Main issue is keeping everything stable while you are working on the bike - loosen (but don't remove Mr. Green ) the necessary nuts/bolts before the bike is up on the lift - because you don't want it swaying about on a stand while you are attempting to crack open a torqued up nut or bolt.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:39 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely putting a flat surface on the exhausts of a bike is not good for the bike? That's why they work on MX bikes because the exhaust is usually to the side. on a 4 cylinder bike of any sort, the exhaust usually goes under the engine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Surely putting a flat surface on the exhausts of a bike is not good for the bike? That's why they work on MX bikes because the exhaust is usually to the side. on a 4 cylinder bike of any sort, the exhaust usually goes under the engine.

He's got a twin cruiser has he not? The 250

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/onbike-leonard.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

He's got a twin cruiser has he not? The 250

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/onbike-leonard.jpg

in which case I bet it won't go low enough to get underneath, but I see why you wouldn't want a paddock stand or headstock stand!

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback and tips guys, really appreciate it!
The ABBA stand, although being on my list (seems really well made), is just too big for me now (I wouldn't have anywhere to store it).

I just realized I have an access to a fork lift at work so I'll just try to support the front with that and see how that works.

davebike wrote:
Yes that is almost exactly what we use and have done fro 20 years or more !
Oh I think the one we have is Sealey used several times a day I am professional

Thanks Dave, do you have this one:
https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637191833/scissor-stand-for-motorcycles-450kg
or this boy (looks better):
https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637191828/motorcycle-quad-lift-680kg-capacity-hydraulic
?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:52 - 18 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I guess it depends on the exhaust setup - but on an average IL4 the four header pipes are strong enough to support the weight of the bike so long as the lift/jack/block of wood etc is positioned underneath the 90 degree bend (the strong point) at the bottom of the headers. Lifts like the 'Eazyriser' have a plate which is specifically designed to sit under the headers in order to lift the bike.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like the first one kozesluk but rather more and supplied with the bench I use like 20 years ago full kit with several options for different lifting options

For a custom I put the bike on an Abba stand then use the jack to lift front all strapped down on the bench !

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to wrap up my adventure and maybe give some tips to others: I have bought the "Liftmaster" (LOL) Scissors lift from Amazon for £43 (plus £7 postage), https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V4M1QDX
Not really rock solid, but it stands on its own and it did hold myself on it.

It also held the bike propped from the front (by supporting the frame), easy to just get the front wheel a bit in the air. I would definitely consider it a good investment.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200504_133509.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200506_124707.jpg

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have done the exact same with a scissor jack off eBay for a tenner and a bit of old wood flytipped at the roadside. If it worked and you are happy though, who am I to pontificate.

Nice to see mechanical work being carried out in a warehouse of what appears to be food products Laughing

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
You could have done the exact same with a scissor jack off eBay for a tenner and a bit of old wood flytipped at the roadside. If it worked and you are happy though, who am I to pontificate.

Nice to see mechanical work being carried out in a warehouse of what appears to be food products Laughing

Yes, and I was thinking about that but ended up not finding any flytipped wood and the convenience of easily adjustable height won over.

It's a coffee roastery. What you see behind are sacks of green coffee and oh yeah a few cartons of soy milk. We don't roast coffee there yet. No grinding or polluting work was done there and the bike actually sticks into a space that is a coffee machines workshop Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:24 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good solid base for steering bearings, especially if you have to start hammering on them. It's a heavy fucker if it landed on you!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:49 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cruiser stand like this for anything that needs the wheels off the ground: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biketek-Hydraulic-Heavyweight-Motorbike-Davidson/dp/B018XZEEJQ

You can use the frame adaptors like on your scissor lift to make sure you lift off something solid. The main advantage is that it's easier to lift/lower. You can sit on the bike to hold it level, and pump the lever with your foot.

Although for most jobs I just use a car jack under something solid, less faffing around to get a wheel in the air.

Also for doing any bearings, I have found out that proper bearing drivers are now cheap enough to not both with makeshift tools. £30 gets you a set that will do any bearing you will have on a bike. It cost me more for a set of brass drifts, which are preferable to continually knackering screwdrivers to knock out bearings.

Now that you have done the job, and probably found it a bit of a pain in the arse, two things to remember if you don't want to do it again any time soon:
1. Set the bearings to the right torque. Don't set them a little tight and hope that they will bed in - a "little tight" on bearings translates into tonnes more pressure and kills them.
2. If you didn't lube the fuck out of them on installation, do it now. I am always surprised by just how much grease a headstock bearing will absorb, they're like miniature black holes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1