Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

I know you're thinking this should go in the Geek Zone, but not really. I need the general opinion of not-particularly-techy people.

I'd like to sort out a smartphone for Anita's father. He is nearly 65 and totally non-tech. In fact, I would go so far as to say he is "anti-tech". But he is desperate to be in touch with our daughter, which improves not only his quality of life - but also his vile temper.

All I want him to be able to do is:
* Access Anita's contact details
* Tap the video icon to get in touch with her
* Close the call down when finished

I can easily hide all the icons except "Contacts" away from his landing page, so it doesn't confuse him.

She donated an old iPhone to him, so that they could keep in touch via Facetime. I tried to teach him how to use it, but he struggled to understand about turning his (PAYG) data on and off, so that it doesn't get used up, if he forgets to close the app in-between calls, and he now has an "I can't learn one of those fancy things" mentality.

So its pointless suggesting an iPhone package right now: he will just get a mental block.
He mentally-blocks very easily, with an extremely short fuse (he's Italian... Rolling Eyes )

He bought himself an Alcatel, thinking he was getting a cheap smartphone, and its no good at all. His previous phone was a Nokia 3310 ( Rolling Eyes ), so he's now almost completely uncontactable because he can't work out how to use the Alcatel properly, and as a result of this, he is already an unpopular visitor in his local phone shop, because of his temper.

His only use for a phone is for:
1. Calls and texts to myself, or his sister, or his girlfriend; sometimes his GP or other social agencies.
2. Video-chat with Anita.

(3. He did look vaguely interested in the "what time is my bus arriving?" app when I showed it to him during early days with the iPhone, but the concept of him being able to understand how to use any other kind of app seems light years away.)

I've decided that the easiest way to do this, is to have a separate phone only for video calling with Anita.

I kinda hope that if I include the phone numbers for myself, his bird and his sister in Contacts, then eventually he might get brave and try video calling one of us, and discover how easy it is to use the app for something else, and from there, slowly move on to discover the usefulness of smartphones and apps in general, but right now ... it ain't gonna happen!

Brand doesn't really matter, so long as its a proper Android smartphone, not an iPhone, Alcatel or Windowsphones. I have an LG, so something like that, a Huawei or Samsung, will be perfect. But I am more specifically interested in the packages that go with them.

He's unlikely to be able to commit to a monthly contract because he is (almost) on a pension and has a "post office" account. I dunneven know whether he can (or even wants to) set direct debits up from it; he is already very anxious about not being able to manage on his pension.

The purpose of this exercise is for me to be LESS involved with him than I currently am. I do care about his well-being, but I am his ex-wife for a reason, after all!

So my question/s is/are:

Is there a PAYG sim which you can get "unlimited" data
So that if he forgets to turn off his data after a call, it won't use up all his data? I'm wondering how much data an app such as Messenger would use if you "forgot" to close it down?

I noticed that "3" have a 30Gb deal, how much would you have to do on a phone to use up 30Gb?

Can you even download and use Messenger on its own without having to register on Facebook?
i.e., just as a product, which surely by now must be able to function without being registered on FB? He's very anti-FB.

Or would I be better just getting him to use Whatsapp?

Anita and I already "manage" an email address for him, which he never uses (he doesn't know how) ... we set it up in the initial phases of the iPhone, but it has really only proved useful so far, in his application for a TfL oldperson card Laughing

Fortunately, at the moment, big buttons are not an issue. At least he can cope with viewing on a normal phone with a normal screen/keys (for now). I'm hoping he will get the hang of it before his eyesight starts to REALLY deterioriate Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, TL;DR:

Grouchy old fool
Can't use smartphone
Wants to video chat with daughter
What do? Cheapest.

Last edited by hellkat on 20:08 - 27 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any android phone, cheap n cheerful chinky one would be sufficiant, such as a cubot rainbow, etc.. install skype package, look for cheap sim only payg deals, if you don't want to go down the sim only contract route, although, that could well be the cheapest option.

If not actually in call, shouldn't use an inordinate amount of data. If he's worried about paying for the contract, could Anita not treat him to an ~ £11.00 p/m contract, if he's 65, surely she must be working by now?? I do that for my dad, as, it's easier. You can set up the contract to not allow him to go over his monthly allowance.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Any android phone, cheap n cheerful chinky one would be sufficiant, such as a cubot rainbow, etc.. install skype package, look for cheap sim only payg deals, if you don't want to go down the sim only contract route, although, that could well be the cheapest option.

If not actually in call, shouldn't use an inordinate amount of data. If he's worried about paying for the contract, could Anita not treat him to an ~ £11.00 p/m contract, if he's 65, surely she must be working by now?? I do that for my dad, as, it's easier. You can set up the contract to not allow him to go over his monthly allowance.

Never heard of cubot, okay, thanks, I'll look into that one. Cool Thumbs Up
Yeah I had considered suggesting to her that she and I split the bill just to shut him up. I could afford to pay it myself (and so could she) but its not really the right thing for me to pay my ex's phone bill after all these years Rolling Eyes

Still, I had a conversation with him today about it, and he says he is feeling ripped off because he is paying £40 a month (a tenner a week) on PAYG and he can barely use the phone for calls, let alone getting in touch with her. So I'm sure I can find him something for cheaper than that!

Hadn't even considered Skype because I never used it myself, preferring Whatsapp or Messenger, and I don't think she uses Skype either, preferring Facetime with everyone else except me (who hasn't got an iPhone) ... but yeah, Skype might also be worth a look.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your contribution is duly noted in my Dark Register of Misdemeanours. Mr. Green Middle Finger

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave me mam my old iPhone and regretted it, old people should only be allowed a 5110 on PayG...

https://1motorcyclist.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/5110.jpg

I think you can register for a FB account with a phone number, but you do need an account AFAIK. Whatsapp will probably be best.

Big data plans are expensive, you're probably looking at about £10 p/m for a few GB.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Is there a PAYG sim which you can get "unlimited" data
So that if he forgets to turn off his data after a call, it won't use up all his data? I'm wondering how much data an app such as Messenger would use if you "forgot" to close it down?

There is...
https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans
The £20/month Plan Details
How it works

Always On data
With Always On you get 6GB of data at full 4G speed. After 6GB of data used you'll experience a reduced data speed of 384kbps from 8am to Midnight. You may notice that activities which require high amounts of data, like HD video streaming, will be slower.

Dunno if this is any good for him or not but throwing it out there just in case Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about giffgaff. It's preferable to a monthly contract as you buy the bundle of minutes/data etc., so if you go over there won't be extra charges.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:50 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sorry, TL;DR:

Grouchy old fool
Can't use smartphone
Wants to video chat with daughter
What do? Cheapest.

Check out Virginmedia, Sky, BT or what ever ISP you have.

VM have a decent data deal at the moment.

20GB for £18 pm

https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.htm

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If smartphones are too difficult and complicated, then who has set the goal of being able to have video calls with daughter instead of ordinary regular and simple phone calls?

Is there a specific reason why they need to keep in touch via video calls only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought video calls were only what they did in the adverts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung S phones have a "Simple Mode" that can be enabled, but I do not know if that enables video calling too or if it just turns the phone in to a standard mobile.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If smartphones are too difficult and complicated, then who has set the goal of being able to have video calls with daughter instead of ordinary regular and simple phone calls?

Daughter thought it would save both our nerves (hers and mine).

Father frustrated by lack of contact with daughter, due to daughter being too busy Facetiming everyone else cos its cheaper and easier than ringing Grumpy Old Dad.

Ideal solution: similar arrangement with father.

Quote:
Is there a specific reason why they need to keep in touch via video calls only?

Aside from her being in Australia, and he in the UK, not really.
She just thought it would be nicer for him to have a visual as well, seeing as how everybody else does.
We didn't expect him to be quite this anti-tech, and to struggle with the grasping of certain basic concepts.

I may have to write him a bullet-pointed list of what to do to connect to her by videophone, so that I can pin it on the wall of his flat. Rolling Eyes

No doubt it will be screwed up and thrown in the bin one day when he can't get it to work Rolling Eyes

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using an ipad/droid tablet, not a phone, with skype.

The user interface is very easy to navigate.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile phone and a picture Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
She donated an old iPhone to him, so that they could keep in touch via Facetime. I tried to teach him how to use it, but he struggled to understand about turning his (PAYG) data on and off, so that it doesn't get used up, if he forgets to close the app in-between calls, and he now has an "I can't learn one of those fancy things" mentality.

So its pointless suggesting an iPhone package right now: he will just get a mental block.

So I know you said 'no iPhones' but... tbh whatever anyone thinks of them, they are undeniably the simplest smartphone to operate, and they just 'work' without lots of setting up by technophiles. My Mum (85) has one and loves it.

Giving him an 'old' handset unfortunately is probably a bad idea, just like giving an elderly and/or inexperienced person an 'old' computer... the reason the kit is 'old' is because it's out of date, runs slowly, won't run a lot of software, crashes, etc etc. Rookie error which I've made myself. Get him a reasonably up to date handset if money isn't too tight.

Most significantly for you, it's perfectly possible to set up iPhones (and presumably most others) so they won't use the really data-hungry stuff like FaceTime and other video apps unless they are connected to wifi, so you don't need to worry about using up the data allowance.

Would thoroughly recommend WhatsApp for your purpose, whatever phone you get (Mum loves it) - very easy to use, grandchildren can easily send her photos etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Giving him an 'old' handset unfortunately is probably a bad idea, just like giving an elderly and/or inexperienced person an 'old' computer... the reason the kit is 'old' is because it's out of date, runs slowly, won't run a lot of software, crashes, etc etc. Rookie error which I've made myself. Get him a reasonably up to date handset if money isn't too tight.

Depends how old, my iPhone 5's still on an old(er) firmware (8.4) and runs sweet. Apple stuff's simpler to use IMO but elderly people still struggle with anything that isn't from the 1950s.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
my iPhone 5's still on an old(er) firmware (8.4) and runs sweet

Well TBH, if you're limited to iOS 8.4 you're already 2 full OS versions out of date and are distinctly on borrowed time. You'll already be missing out on a lot of new apps, and you'll find it won't be long until many of your existing apps will no longer even be supported at all. That was what eventually forced me into upgrading my 5-year-old iPhone 3GS a couple of years ago. Mad

Furthermore, an iPhone 5 without a decent amount of memory (which presumably yours must have) will barely run at all, due to the ever-increasing amount which is used up by the ever-increasingly large OS upgrades. Mad

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:01 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with Wi-Fi only iPad or iPhone touch, much cheapness, no ongoing charges, all he has to do is call from his home WiFi or go to McDonalds

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
I would go with Wi-Fi only iPad or iPhone touch, much cheapness, no ongoing charges, all he has to do is call from his home WiFi or go to McDonalds

Based on what the OP has already said, I would say that this is a bad idea !!. He's a technophobe, and yet you're asking him to sign into random wifi networks, where there are likely to be varying degrees of registration.

Now, a 3 or 4g enabled phablet/tablet isn't a bad idea. Set it up once, don't change it again.. Get him to accept there will be occasional times when there won't be a strong enough signal, but, for 95% of the time that won't be the case, and he'll be able to use it. Probably Skype and/or Whatsapp are probably best, but, again, before giving him the phone, set it up for him in the first place.

Personally I'm not a fan of iOS, Iphones etc, overpriced for what they are, and certainly for what the gent that this is in mind for, very overpriced and over hyped, likewise, the 'top' end android phones are overkill, afterall, he's unlikely to be playing Modern Combat 5: Blackout Laughing Laughing

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:54 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't been released in the UK/Aus just yet I believe (only states atm), but how about an Echo Show if they can hang on until they are released internationally?

It's a video interface and all he'd need to do is tell alexa to call his daughter. More expensive outlay, but zero running costs (uses wifi obviously) downside is can't use it out and about obviously.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/09/amazon-unveils-the-230-echo-show-with-a-screen-for-calls-shipping-june-28/

As another upside he can talk to it when he's lonely Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Old-codger-friendly smartphone packages Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
my iPhone 5's still on an old(er) firmware (8.4) and runs sweet

Well TBH, if you're limited to iOS 8.4 you're already 2 full OS versions out of date and are distinctly on borrowed time. You'll already be missing out on a lot of new apps, and you'll find it won't be long until many of your existing apps will no longer even be supported at all. That was what eventually forced me into upgrading my 5-year-old iPhone 3GS a couple of years ago. Mad

Furthermore, an iPhone 5 without a decent amount of memory (which presumably yours must have) will barely run at all, due to the ever-increasing amount which is used up by the ever-increasingly large OS upgrades. Mad

I found a few apps wouldn't work (normally BS from indie developers), but the main ones did as devs know a lot of people still use older devices. Are we talking nerd memory or noob memory? Razz I'm assuming the latter and it's only 16GB.

Sapolsky wrote:
As another upside he can talk to it when he's lonely Wink

They never talk dirty back though Crying or Very sad

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Never heard of cubot, okay, thanks, I'll look into that one. Cool Thumbs Up
Yeah I had considered suggesting to her that she and I split the bill just to shut him up. I could afford to pay it myself (and so could she) but its not really the right thing for me to pay my ex's phone bill after all these years Rolling Eyes

Still, I had a conversation with him today about it, and he says he is feeling ripped off because he is paying £40 a month (a tenner a week) on PAYG and he can barely use the phone for calls, let alone getting in touch with her. So I'm sure I can find him something for cheaper than that!

Hadn't even considered Skype because I never used it myself, preferring Whatsapp or Messenger, and I don't think she uses Skype either, preferring Facetime with everyone else except me (who hasn't got an iPhone) ... but yeah, Skype might also be worth a look.

He is being ripped off when Plusnet offer a decent package for £8.50 (offer various from month to month)
2500 mins 3.5Gb data and unlimited text,
set up skype or whatever video conference software to just use wifi.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1