BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Rider...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: New Rider... Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm new to road biking (last time I was on a bike was off road 3 years ago), and brought my first bike Suzuki EN125 home this week...

https://image.ibb.co/g1ENXQ/IMG_9991.jpg

Running on a CBT for a year or so before I venture onto something bigger. Just got a new lid, leathers and ready to go - with perfect bank holiday weather to match! It was meant to be. Smile

Gem

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up and welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get out and enjoy the weather but just be on the lookout for idiots on the road. Bank holidays seem to spawn them!

That's a nice looking bike Thumbs Up

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invest in an Almax chain or it'll disappear like a fart in a hurricane.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:37 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Yes, get out and enjoy the weather but just be on the lookout for idiots on the road. Bank holidays seem to spawn them!

That's a nice looking bike Thumbs Up

Why thank you!

Went down to J&S today to pick up jacket and gloves and there were a few nutters out. Not too busy though Cool

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:50 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Invest in an Almax chain or it'll disappear like a fart in a hurricane.

Yeah, there's been a lot of it round here recently - got it properly locked up and alarmed at home, and our close is secure also.

When commuting I'm hoping I can find somewhere I can lock it up safely but will have a proper reccy before I ride it into town.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy and welcome.

Any reason that you're intending to wobble around on a CBT for a year?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up . Welcome, and enjoy! Smile

Good day out on the the bike today?

£9.50 says you wont last a year before wanting your full licence Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:29 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ahoy and welcome.

I think it's insurance costs more than anything - I assumed that if you have a year no claims (fingers crossed), then next year will be a bit easier on the wallet?

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, I have my eye on a Yam R3... Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:33 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never assume anything with insurance. Laughing

You could get your full license and keep going on your 125 for a year if you want but there's little to be gained from wobbling around with L plates on for that year. Wink

Are you old enough (24) to get a full license?

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Never assume anything with insurance. Laughing

You could get your full license and keep going on your 125 for a year if you want but there's little to be gained from wobbling around with L plates on for that year. Wink

Are you old enough (24) to get a full license?

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting something quicker off the line sooner rather than later. I am (unfortunately) old enough, and thinking about it even being able to take the plates off would be a bonus if nothing else.

Just running insurance quotes through online as I type... As if I've not even had this one a week yet. But no harm in looking. Very Happy

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly welcome and nice bike.

Why R3? I think insurance quotes for an R3 may come as a shock. What attracts you to the bike may well attract others. I've said it elsewhere but if you already have car insurance and they do bike insurance, give your insurer a call. I did and they gave me free one year NCD.

karlitros
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:59 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ahoy and welcome.

I can see why people do it.

I completed my CBT in June, and decided not to wobble about, and to get a full bike licence straight away. Three weeks passed into July before I could get the 'conversion day', where they chuck you on a 500cc, then a 600cc and take you for a couple of rides on each. I took this option because there were no mod 1 training days for months.

After I'd done that, there was a 6 week gap before I could do my mod 1 training. Now I've passed my mod 1 test, I have to wait 6 weeks before I can do my mod 2 training and test.

In total, it's going to have taken me four full months to get my full licence. In the meantime, the nice weather will have gone, and I'll be riding straight into winter.

Meanwhile, someone else would've spent their hard-earned wobbling about during the summer and getting some riding in, then doing their tests and training riding when the weather's vile and there's plenty of availability because nobody wants to do it anymore. If you don't have the budget to do the tests whilst using and paying for insurance for a 125, you have to pick one.

That's probably not this person's reasoning mind you, just I can see why people do it. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's logic and merit in alot of things though and OP has a point. I passed DAS a bloody long time ago and bought a 30bhp bike after.

I was ready in all but insurance ways for a 600cc+ main road bike, but needed 2yrs NCB to make it happen.

Bloke over the road did the same, and spent 2years on an NSR 125 when he had all the Ducati 996 brochures at home and was ready to buy a big red booming twin.

gemininski
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:40 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:

Why R3? I think insurance quotes for an R3 may come as a shock. What attracts you to the bike may well attract others. I've said it elsewhere but if you already have car insurance and they do bike insurance, give your insurer a call. I did and they gave me free one year NCD.

Thank you! I checked out insurance quotes and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. That said - it was mentioned to me that if I was itching to move on from a 125, might as well go for something bigger than a 3, as I'd probably get bored of that quickly too.

I've ridden a 450 crosser, and although not on the road, it was much easier than a 125 so he definitely has a point.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard.

I planned to keep on a CBT for awhile, an get a bit of confidence up (i had crossers on the fields by my house but nothing on the road)

I think my CBT lasted 2 months before i was hacked off with going so slow on my 125 plus with the bikes being so small, i looked ridiculous

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemininski wrote:
That said - it was mentioned to me that if I was itching to move on from a 125, might as well go for something bigger than a 3

Thing is, you'll be getting your A licence on a 600cc+ bike, so it'd be a big step down.

Nothing wrong with spanking a tiddler, but I wouldn't want one as an only bike.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confucius says:

One must try the ultimate superbike to realise, what he seeks in motorcycling.“

#foundazx10rboringontheopenroad

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemininski wrote:
155mph wrote:

Thank you! I checked out insurance quotes and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. That said - it was mentioned to me that if I was itching to move on from a 125, might as well go for something bigger than a 3, as I'd probably get bored of that quickly too.

I've ridden a 450 crosser, and although not on the road, it was much easier than a 125 so he definitely has a point.

Hey! Nice little Zuki 125 that!

If you don't want a big 600 but are looking to get something bigger than the R3 you mentioned then check out the CB500x/f/r series by Honda. They do some serious deals on them & they are good even for full A licence riders. Nippy little twins.

That said, if you're sensible and take it easy on a 600 & lock it up well/alarm it then insurance will be ok.

Have fun riding!

Last edited by BLB_Rich on 11:40 - 10 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_Kooky wrote:

Hey! Nice little Zuki 125 that!

If you don't want a big 600 but are looking to get something bigger than the R3 you mentioned then check out the CB500x/f/r series by Honda. They do some serious deals on them & they are good even for full A licence riders. Nippy little twins.

That said, if you're sensible and take it easy on a 600 & lock it up well/alarm it then insurance will be ok.

Have fun riding!

I assume you didnt look when the OP posted and time time gone since last post? Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Thing is, you'll be getting your A licence on a 600cc+ bike, so it'd be a big step down.

Dunno, I passed on an A bike and bought an A2 bike, then kept it for 3 years.

A years NCD definitely makes a difference to insurance but there isn't always the jump from a 125 to a big bike that you'd expect, but it depends on the model. I'd be surprised if you last a year on that 125, after a few months you'll be itching for something bigger (at least I was). Good luck anyway.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:21 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see youre not far from Blackpool - Get yourself up the country roads to Hawes and Caton, passing Devil's Bridge on the way - awesome ride out
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1