Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2006 Daytona 675 for Short Asses?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:34 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: 2006 Daytona 675 for Short Asses? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've now moved to Norway permanently with the 'wife' and had to ride my Ducati Monster 1100 back to the UK to sell as it didn't make sense paying the 100% import tax and making it stock as part of the hassle. I'd buy another one tomorrow if they weren't so expensive here.

So now that summer is pretty much over I'm considering buying a 2006 Daytona 675 as I've yet to try a triple and did miss the screen for long distance motorway riding. I might be able to get a month or two out of it before the snow comes, but it's mostly for next season.

Anyway, I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam and wanted to ask if there are any other short asses who have ridden this bike and had issues? I found the seat height high on my Ducati at 31.9" and got used to it. No problem using my tip toes or stopping with one foot so that's not an issue. Daytona apparently comes in at 32.5". It seems some people have had trouble gripping the tank with their knees, and it's a hit or miss with ergonomics - some day it's a comfortable bike, others not so.

I just wanted thoughts. The bike is a good few hours drive away so I'm just doing some due diligence before I decide. Otherwise I might lean towards a 2004+ CBR 600RR if I can find a white/black one.

There are a couple Fireblades around which I'm curious about. But really just looking for a fun bike for the country roads and maybe when I get the itch, a European tour or two.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Daytona 675 is a very small bike and would be ideal for someone short. looking on them from the front the wheel looks massive whereas it's just a small bike.

Send this guy a message on Instagram, he is on here although rarely logs in https://www.pintaram.com/u/instazall

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a Daytona 675, it's very small. I'm quite a large chap and I was perched on top of it. I spent about 30mins on it on all sorts of roads and it was very nice to ride. He can't do a long slog on it though as it isn't that comfortable for him, but we are all different!

It's quite narrow so I don't think you will have too much of an issue touching the floor. If you can find one, go and sit on it to see if you could cope with it.

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll have to consider it for sure. I'm also looking at a 2004 CBR 600 RR, 2005 CBR 1000 RR, 1997 Ducati 916, and a 2004 Yamaha R6. The R6 looks nice as well. I do like the xenon type headlamps on both the R6 and the Daytona 675.

Always wanted a 916 or 996 but keeping the things alive scares me $$ wise lol.

Anyway. If the Daytona isn't sold maybe I'll take a drive up this weekend and give it a test ride. This is the advert. I managed to talk him down to 57,000kr which is around £5.5k (Norwegian prices) due to some fairing repairs from the last owner trying to ride off with the disc lock on. He also needs to pay off a loan on the bike so need to be careful with that.

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=102182014&ref=conversation&fks=102182014

Many say it's a superbly handling bike. Though due to it's exclusivity I do need to consider the cost of parts and such.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one and ended up with a street triple purely because I found it a bit too extreme for me. That's the case with all sports bikes though, not just the Daytona!

It handled and went superbly. I found it much easier to ride than an R6 because you don't have to keep the engine 'on the boil' but that could quite well be because I wasn't used to riding high revving sports bikes.

I take it bikes are very expensive in Norway.

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 2 or 3 times the price compared to the UK for the most part. I bought my 2010 Monster 1100 for around £5k in the UK, and over here you'd buy the same bike for £10-£12k (same issue with cars). As I need to have lived here for a while finance is out of the question so I need to take a few steps backward. Added to that, it's an ornament in the garage for 6+ months of the year due to ice on the roads. So really, it's also a case of weighing up the benefit.

There is a Street Triple going as well. I actually paid a deposit on one before I bought the Monster, but changed my mind at the last second. I'd prefer a Speed Triple 1050 if I could afford it.

While the Steet Triple will no doubt be way more comfortable to ride, when it comes to European tours - I would miss the windscreen. The bike before my Ducati was a 2002 CBR 600 F Sport and motorway riding was great, but it didn't feel that planted on country roads. The Monster was the most planted bike I've ever ridden. I never once thought "what if" when pushing it hard on a windy road. Not a slant on sports bikes of course, just kudos to the Ducati. That and the CBR probably wasn't set up right.

Good to know regarding the R6. Perhaps the torque of the Daytona would come in handy.

Decisions...

And in memory of the Monster... what a machine.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/18192307_10154344029756555_9084936862737861185_o.jpg

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5ft 6, with a 29" inseam, the street triple R 2013 model was both tip toes for me, or one flat foot. But a 1050 speed triple was one toe on the ground only. Pretty tall compared to a street.

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:01 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play. I haven't ridden the Speed Triple so can't say. Funny the Street has been brought up. I'm now considering it. I know my back will thank me long term at least. Though I wonder if it'll feel sluggist after the torque of the Monster 1100. I guess I can mess around with the gearing, and after all I'm mostly looking for a country road bike so it doesn't need to be super quick.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springbok_Rider wrote:

Anyway. If the Daytona isn't sold maybe I'll take a drive up this weekend and give it a test ride. This is the advert. I managed to talk him down to 57,000kr which is around £5.5k (Norwegian prices) due to some fairing repairs from the last owner trying to ride off with the disc lock on. He also needs to pay off a loan on the bike so need to be careful with that.

Fucking hell, that's steep, he paid £3.5k for a Cat D.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springbok_Rider wrote:
Y
While the Steet Triple will no doubt be way more comfortable to ride, when it comes to European tours - I would miss the windscreen.

My Street had the funny little clock fairing for want of a better name. While obviously nothing like a screen it made quite a difference to the naked bike. You can also get a screen that adds on top to have more wind protection.

My bike with 'clock fairing'
https://s5.postimg.org/ciujx2m7r/100_0173.jpg

Street with the extra bit on the clock fairing
https://www.vivetumoto.com/foros/attachments/motos-500cc-adelante/1284d1338312744-triumph-street-triple-r-675-2011-gris-mate-2012-05-06-11.45.56.jpg

I'm sure it's the same with the new style lights as well.

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:49 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's not bad on the Street Triple. Usually I don't like the look of them on naked bikes and would probably remove the front bikini fairing and stick a single light on it as well (already considering mods). But for long distances, it would definitely be worth sticking on.

Yeah, the prices are mental here. It's all monopoly money. The Street Triple I'm considering is a 2008 model up for £6.5k - so about double the price and he's "dropped the price twice...". I wish they warned me of the pretty girls before I went travelling to Iceland a decade ago. Honey trap.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Daytona M star boots...

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:10 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: 2006 Daytona 675 for Short Asses? Reply with quote

It has a tight riding position, but the underseat exhaust pushes the height up a bit.

I've got a race seat on mine, which lowers this a little (it is a track/race bike).

It has a narrow tank to go with the narrow chassis giving it quite a svelte Duati-thin like feel. Plenty of space to move around on. I've got dodgy shoulders at the moment, so have Stompgrip on the tank which gives loads of gripping potential.

The narrowness does make it easier than a wider bike of the same height for the shorter of stature.

From what I remember of the stock bike, not sure I'd choose one for daily riding. (Mine has adjustable rear sets and aftermarket clipons).

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
I've heard the Daytona 675 is a very small bike and would be ideal for someone short. looking on them from the front the wheel looks massive whereas it's just a small bike.

Send this guy a message on Instagram, he is on here although rarely logs in https://www.pintaram.com/u/instazall

That would be me Smile

I'm 5'7 and 30" inseam also, I fitted the Daytona well (albeit a 2010/gen 2 model, unsure if the seat height differs much from the gen1). I could flat foot it easily enough and I didn't look like a child on it either (which was nice for a change).

It is extremely uncomfortable though, my K6 thou' feels like a sofa in comparison.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street triple is a nice bike, owned one for a while. I rode the street and speed back to back and much preferred the street, the weight difference is not worth the modest power gain of the Speed.

The street has a ton of midrange, wheelies were never an issue. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:03 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:

I'm 5'7 and 30" inseam also, I fitted the Daytona well (albeit a 2010/gen 2 model, unsure if the seat height differs much from the gen1). I could flat foot it easily enough and I didn't look like a child on it either (which was nice for a change).

It is extremely uncomfortable though, my K6 thou' feels like a sofa in comparison.

The 2010 is more of a "facelift" model, so should be pretty similar - all change in 2013.

I went for the GSXR K6 partly because it was considered the most comfortable of the superbikes.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I had a lowered, round light Striple! I didnt know it was lowered at the time of buying. I am 5-10 and it was a perfect height.

One thing to be aware of if you go down that route is, when the bike is on the side stand, the lean angle is much less, so just have to be careful where you park it.

https://s20.postimg.org/k5m0pm1u5/11009216_10153575785132384_3531762554902019155_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
For what its worth, I had a lowered, round light Striple! I didnt know it was lowered at the time of buying. I am 5-10 and it was a perfect height.

One thing to be aware of if you go down that route is, when the bike is on the side stand, the lean angle is much less, so just have to be careful where you park it.

https://s20.postimg.org/k5m0pm1u5/11009216_10153575785132384_3531762554902019155_n.jpg

Baby puke colour. I like that Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Baby puke colour. I like that Thumbs Up

I do miss Kermit.

fluxco
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the daytona cope in traffic?

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxco wrote:

Kills your wrists and bikes temp rises rapid when filtering at low speed (no different to any faired sports bike to be honest, lol).

fluxco
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
fluxco wrote:

Kills your wrists and bikes temp rises rapid when filtering at low speed (no different to any faired sports bike to be honest, lol).

I see, thanks bud.

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I thought this thread was dead. I just purchased a 2008 Street Triple - the only one that was within my price range which was still £6k in Norway. Ignoring the height issues, there are too many complaints about the Daytona and comfort issues. I've also been wanting a white bike for years to match my textiles and helmet lol.

Coming from a Monster I did like the upright riding position. However, I've been spoilt for torque after the 1100 as the Triple feels a little gutless. I expect to open the throttle and immediately take off lol. Saying that, it is a nimble little thing that comes alive after 8,000rpm and did feel great once I hit the country roads near my house. Was pissing down the whole way and won't let up for a couple of weeks it seems - though I still pushed it so the handling and tyres are good. Apparently it has a Daytona rear shock on it, though getting the original sent with some other parts. Comfortable as well, though I do find the kick stand is way more forward than it needs to be - not a big issue. I also don't mind the smaller lean angle as I have gravel around my house, but is worth keeping in mind when parking elsewhere.

Lots of people discuss the torque of the triple, but I feel it's more similar to my CBR in that I have to drop a few gears to get it moving. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different. And once I get the SC carbon exhausts on it, it'll sound ace too. The sprockets and chain look decent, but when I change them I'll probably gear it so it has more power down low for the sake of less top end.

The only issue is that it was pissing coolant when I got back out the bottom of the radiator. I turned it on now that it's dry (though still caked in crud until I can wash it) and the right hand side front of the radiator (from front) began to start collecting and dripping liquid. I'm hoping it's a simple loose hose issue as I don't fancy shelling out £400 for a new radiator. I'll wait until it's clean and take a look.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/_340199704.jpg

Last edited by Springbok_Rider on 11:42 - 06 Sep 2017; edited 2 times in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice indeed! I had a pair of arrows on mine, loved them. Yeah, the lean angle can be a bit of a pain, but nothing major, just worth keeping in mind! Obviously been a well loved bike, what with all the add ons. Belly pan, seat cowl, bar end mirrors etc etc.

Enjoy!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 15:14 - 06 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2