Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has a movie ever had a permanent effect on you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Has a movie ever had a permanent effect on you? Reply with quote

TL;DR is the thread title, and how did it affect you?

I almost just did this as a review in the movie thread, but a) I've probably mentioned this one there before, and b) something clicked for me while watching it last night.

The movie is Guy Ritchie's Revolver.
First few times I watched it, I was pretty confused, but enjoyed it nonetheless, possibly due to good performances from Jason Statham (so many of his more recent films are trite imo, since he became just another Hollywood "tough guy") and Ray Liotta (who I've always rated highly). I also like the performances of the guys who play Jake Green's 'mentors'.

But last night, I think I finally sussed what it's actually about - talk about slow on the uptake - Wake up Mr. Strip! Laughing The scene with Green (Statham) 'alone' in the elevator should have made it obvious in hindsight; it virtually spells it out for you. But I just never watched it as more than entertainment before.
But not only that, it put me on a train of thought that I was still mulling over when I went to bed, and I'm still thinking about now, and particularly as it applies to myself. I think I was kind of subconsciously coming to these certain realisations and understandings before now, but watching this film again, I almost heard an audible 'click' as things fell into place, or started to. To the extent that I've downloaded a couple of books to look into it more. What I've read so far I have found surprisingly (because I didn't think it was a subject that would interest me that much in the past) fascinating. I don't feel I click that well with other folks, y'see (I've noticed many people feel that way about themselves).
Now, I'm aware that I could seem a complete idiot for all this, especially as it's not the first time I've read about this subject, but I was quite young then, and maybe didn't take much from it. But y'know what? I'm comfortable with that Wink Laughing

Well, it has the potential to have a long term effect on me, possibly quite a profound effect. I suppose time will tell.
Also, I'm onto you lot now! Shocked Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any book, play, movie can have some kind of 'life changing' effect if it appeals to who ever...

(Even movies like The Fast & Furious which I decide to not ever watch another after I saw a mere glimpse of the first of the many.. )

It is the way we learn/experience some things.

Or did I miss the point of the question (again)? Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Or did I miss the point of the question (again)? Embarassed

I don't think so, but it might be easy to do with all that waffle I posted above Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really enjoy that movie and I know what you mean. It took a moment for it to sink in and I continually fail to learn from it but oh well. That voice in your head is not always your friend Laughing The thing you will continually see more of now is people driven by ego and how unstable it is. What you will most likely fail to see is when you are being driven by your own.

In a broader philosophical angle, it can be postulated that every thing you see, touch, hear, smell etc will change you. Even reading these words on this screen will adjust your wetware in infinitesimally small degrees.

Have a nose into determinism for a look into one angle if you are interested, my TLDRs do no favors for these subjects as I'm a bit too dim.

I should also add as a warning, once you start reading down these rabbit holes, the bottom keeps shifting further from you.

Last edited by Sload on 14:44 - 28 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant thin of any movies that have had a profound affect on me, well, not that I am aware of any way.

I do however think a lot of movies can have small impacts on your life, influencing it a little bit a time. Maybe just presenting a different way of looking at things, or make you respect a certain view or way of life a little more, of value something or someone more that you didnt before. I kinda think thats the aim behind a number of films anyway. Obviously a many films are there to purely entertain, but i think many are there to make you think.

Interesting thread.... Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
my TLDRs do no favors for these subjects as I'm a bit too dim.

Don't worry about it, the books I've chosen are definitely in the 'beginner's guide to..." category Smile

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Sload wrote:
my TLDRs do no favors for these subjects as I'm a bit too dim.

Don't worry about it, the books I've chosen are definitely in the 'beginner's guide to..." category Smile

I'm not, too dim to care. I'm just thankful when people take the meaning of my ramblings as intended, not always successful.

As a side note, what books are you looking at now?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once watched battlefield earth... nuff said.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:06 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Snape killed Dumbledore.

Crying or Very sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
your wetware

My life's ambition from this moment forth is to find an opportunity into which I may insert that phrase.
Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

As a side note, what books are you looking at now?

Oh, you know the kind of stuff Laughing
I already gave you " Thumbs Up insightful" before you edited your post, you can't have another oh, how apt the karma system in this case Laughing

But I'd be interested to see if movies have profoundly affected people in other ways too, so I don't want to enter too much into my own epiphany moment (if that's what it is) here just yet.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revolver had a hidden meaning? Eh?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe nobody has yet said Rainpal The Movie. That's life changing.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defining moments in film for me include:
(OMG there are so many!)
Concentrate, hk!

Randomly:

* Jaws stopped me from EVER swimming beyond where my feet don't touch the floor. I know, I know, the shark could still eat me at knee-level water, but at least if your feet are on the ground you might be able to attempt to run away.

* Michael Corleone goes into one about [almost everything] but especially about being attacked at his own home by his enemies. That buttoned-up sense of family values interweaved with alpha male behaviour. Hmmmmm

* Sam Neill under the floorboards in The Piano certainly did something to my wetware ...

* The Man with No Name, big impact on me from very early on: silent, self-reliant, guided but not necessarily restricted by strong moral values.

* Sally Field wearing a wedding dress and jumping into the Mustang beside Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit. :An unpredictable and Good Natured Fun Time Girl. Sounds familiar.

* The Bride. Kill Bill. Payback is truly a bitch, and I am she.

Last edited by hellkat on 15:23 - 28 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Revolver had a hidden meaning? Eh?

Possibly not, but sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees Laughing
This is more about the effect it had when I sussed it, because of the things I got to thinking about after watching it this time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

* The Bride. Kill Bill. Payback is truly a bitch, and I am she.

Shocked

Did I ever tell you how wonderful I think you are? Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but to be fair, the public only usually sees
[see entry above re Sally Field]

Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot ...

Marilyn Monroe as Sugar Kane (in Some Like It Hot) :
1. Tottering down the platform to the train
2. Singing on stage in a dress and lighting that makes her look semi-naked

Wub

(my public don't see that one outta me often, either ... heh Laughing )
Only for select audiences, thata one Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Only for select audiences, thata one Laughing

Yes, we're most assuredly a 'select' bunch here on BCF Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me! And you say that I need to get out more and ride my bike? Laughing

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super size me.. i hope to live to 100 now. Smile

This is the film where a guy eats nothing but McDonalds for a whole month. Sick
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that the film Crash (2004) had a big effect on me, but I am going to have to watch it again, to remember what it was Laughing

It was certainly about "the way you perceive the lives of others is not necessarily always what is going on or correct" ...

Kinda about a bit of xenophobia, including overt racism obvs, but mostly about ... I dunno ... other people's lives and how they are tangential to your own.

So obviously it had an effect upon me which caused me to become a more thoughtful member of the human race.

But not much Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Fuck me! And you say that I need to get out more and ride my bike? Laughing

Yes. Yes, you do Razz
In my defence, money is tight now, and the weather up here ain't exactly inspiring at the moment.
Besides, I've been quite contemplative on my last few rides. Got a fair bit to think about right now, other than bikes.

hellkat wrote:
So obviously it had an effect upon me which caused me to become a more thoughtful member of the human race.

But not much Laughing

I'd have thought driving a cab would give you quite an opportunity to study people? You come across as quite chatty too, do you get people to open up a bit to you whilst driving them to wherever?

Damn, this thread isn't going the way I wanted it to at all Rolling Eyes

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inglorious Basterds, I now sign the number 3 using my thumb. Embarassed Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3