Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has a movie ever had a permanent effect on you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd have thought driving a cab would give you quite an opportunity to study people? You come across as quite chatty too, do you get people to open up a bit to you whilst driving them to wherever?

Not as much as you'd think.
I do occasionally, but often you have to go with the fact that they're travelling and you are their means of doing so; just get them there on time and safely, that's what you are there for.

Now and then, I chit chat, just enough to be pleasant, or holding a conversation, certainly does happen quite often, but it totally depends upon their whim, not mine. Banter is an aspect I miss very much doing that kind of driving job.

Can you believe I've never seen Taxi Driver.
Although I am a long-time fan of Jodie Foster.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/12/db/79/12db792b65c945a5d7f13285be0cc22d--jodie-foster-taxi-driver.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I remember that the film Crash (2004) had a big effect on me, but I am going to have to watch it again, to remember what it was Laughing

It was certainly about "the way you perceive the lives of others is not necessarily always what is going on or correct" ...

Kinda about a bit of xenophobia, including overt racism obvs, but mostly about ... I dunno ... other people's lives and how they are tangential to your own.

So obviously it had an effect upon me which caused me to become a more thoughtful member of the human race.

But not much Laughing

I found it depressing that people needed a film to tell them that. People being the group of friends I watched it with... not you Shifty

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:49 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Salem's Lot'.

Kid at the window

'nuff said.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricktop wrote:
'Salem's Lot'.

Kid at the window

'nuff said.

Don't tell me...your bedroom is lost under crucifixes and you keep an Aurora "monster light" on at night now? Laughing

I'd read the book before that, but it was one of those movies that didn't disappoint me afterwards. I was quite young when it came on tv though.

ZX-7R wrote:
The Crying Game.

I booked a ticket to Bangkok next day.

I could've been like that with "The Man Who Would Be King", but again, I was only about ten when I first saw it. Still a favourite, it led me to Kipling, and a fascination with the Indian subcontinent I've had ever since - the "English disease" Rolling Eyes I'd still love to be able to travel there extensively.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some films I saw years ago at the cinema when I was really too young to have seen them.
Jaws was one in particular, the underwater head in the boat scene properly shit the life out of me.
Music scores often tend to move me more than the film itself, especially if the great John Williams is involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sload wrote:
your wetware

My life's ambition from this moment forth is to find an opportunity into which I may insert that phrase.
Cool

I sincerely doubt you will have trouble knowing some of your interests Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Some films I saw years ago at the cinema when I was really too young to have seen them.

Oh yeah, I've been emotionally scarred by a few. Requiem for a Dream jumps out for some reason.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm? This is a hard question for me to answer.
I have been influenced by films (I can think of at least two).

Music and words from songs have been more influential to me personally.
For example, I heard the line " you don't need eyes to see, you need vision " in a song and it made me think about how I view the world.

Kin ell! That was deep Shocked .
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:16 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No film has ever had such a permanent effect on me.

*bites into Roy-ale with cheese* *muses on once being but the learner, now being the master*

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branagh's Henry V and then Much Ado About Nothing healed all the damage inflicted by being force-fed Shakespeare in school without ever seeing a thumping, joyous performance of it.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurassic Park scared the absolute shit out of me. Gave me nightmares. I'd be in the log hut opposite my house hiding from a big scary T-Rex and I could feel how hot and smelly its breath was, and it kept putting its tongue in trying to scoop me out and eat me. Nightmares for months. I was only 18. (I kid, I was 7).

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
I'd be in the log hut opposite my house hiding from a big scary T-Rex and I could feel how hot and smelly its breath was, and it kept putting its tongue in trying to scoop me out and eat me. Nightmares for months. I was only 18. (I kid, I was 7).

I don't think that was a dinosaur. Prob want to chat about that with a professional.

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 17:39 - 29 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, can't say a film has had that much effect on me.

The only thing hat has really truly had a profound effect was going outside on a ship entering Tokyo bay very early one morning and seeing a totally clear Mount Fuji bathed in rising sunlight. I have no idea why it should, but it did and I still remember it clear as day 30 years on.

Go figure Rolling Eyes

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw jurassic park when it first came out and I was probably not old enough... to this day I'm only afraid of one thing... velociraptors...

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I cried a lot at the end, like proper tears instead of 'goodness me the dust in here is irritating my eyes a bit'. I really don't want to watch it again.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is not a particularly great film but I have watched it many many times. It takes me to places I would love to go to but don't have the courage to get there.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

only film I cant watch is house of wax

have no idea why it messes with me so much but it freaks me right out Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

blood guts the lot don't bother me but house of wax does for some reason

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:00 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
recman wrote:

Oh yeah, I've been emotionally scarred by a few. Requiem for a Dream jumps out for some reason.

^ One of my all time favourite films...

For me, watching Poltergeist at about 10 was a bad idea. No TV in the bedroom from then on, especially those creepy CRT's that would glow for a good 10 mins after the lights go out... Low tolerance for "snow" on a TV, always in bed before the channels went off Wink.

The Shining. Again, I was young, perhaps every child should be made to watch that and then every parent should have a Jack look about them when they get angry, would solve a lot of problems Wink I was a huge Stephen King fan and that was the only film (imo) that didn't turn out like a steaming pile of shit. IT was ok, but that whole book/film thing....yeah.

Films that made me think a lot:
Fight Club
Matrix (first one, when it first came out)
Pretty much anything by Lars Von Trier; Dancer in the Dark, Antichrist (my first Lars film and my favourite, that shit's fucked up), Melancholia, Nymphomaniac.
Inception
We need to talk about Kevin
Awakenings (I love Oliver Saks)
Requiem for a dream
Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

I like darker films, I like a touch of realism, happy endings aren't a necessity.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Sally Field wearing a wedding dress and jumping into the Mustang beside Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit. :An unpredictable and Good Natured Fun Time Girl. Sounds familiar.

it was a trans am!
did you even watch the film?

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:12 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I cried a lot at the end, like proper tears instead of 'goodness me the dust in here is irritating my eyes a bit'. I really don't want to watch it again.

We went to the cinema to watch this for a friends birthday. What a kick in the nuts at the end. Yeah, happy birthday petal!

I watched it when it first came out - obviously I was a lot younger then. If I watched it now, I'd probably be crying too. Having a kid has turned me to mush.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Be honest,have you ever said 'you will never guess who i had in my cab the other day'?.

I've not actually (!)

Although I did respond to MCW's mention of the song "Ciao Adios" by saying "I've 'ad 'er" in relation to the lady who sings it (whose name escapes me without googling) Shifty

Dunno why I'm underwhelmed by celebrity. For some reason names just rarely seem to click in my head.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Sally Field wearing a wedding dress and jumping into the Mustang beside Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit. :An unpredictable and Good Natured Fun Time Girl. Sounds familiar.

it was a trans am!
did you even watch the film?

It was a car that went vroom.

Keep your hair on.
I was a 16 year old girl, and watching the film because it had Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed* in it. Not cos of the car Rolling Eyes Laughing

* (oh! and Paul Williams. Always had a soft spot for that husky voiced little dwarf)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Dunno why I'm underwhelmed by celebrity. For some reason names just rarely seem to click in my head.

Same here. It's not that I don't appreciate talent (although fewer and fewer so-called celebrities seem to possess any Rolling Eyes ), just that the majority of them aren't exactly saving the world, curing cancer or solving the mysteries of the universe. Depends on your priorities I suppose.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
solving the mysteries of the universe

See that Stephen Hawking, right?
I've not had him in the back.

I have to go on a wheelchair handling course in a few weeks, maybe if I get lucky, they might use Stephen Hawking as the "celebrity guest trainer"* ... Thinking

*(no, there is no such thing, really)

On topic, though (and reasonably topical within my life, as my sister is currently in hospital with a possible broken back) is that the movie about Stephen Hawking did give me more cause than usual to consider how life must be for raspberries that aren't vegetables. On days when I am whingeing about how much my feet, legs, ankles hurt, it makes me grateful to still be relatively ambulant/self-propellant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3