Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chemistry question. Testing booze for sulphite content.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Chemistry question. Testing booze for sulphite content. Reply with quote

Is there a way to test booze for sulphite content levels?

Cheers

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Chemistry question. Testing booze for sulphite content. Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Is there a way to test booze for sulphite content levels?

Yep, try here Wink

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:08 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown until this thread pops up on the first page of google for people asking such questions.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:01 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You allergic or just curious. If the first, steer clear of all cider, especially none canned cider, its all around 200ppm. Canned cider is around 20ppm as the sulphites eat the lacquer and cause leaks.

Beer is generally pretty low for taste and stability reasons so you'll be golden.

Can't comment on spirits, but would expect lower than beer if anything.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice some wines give me a headache the next day even if I just have one glass. Ive noticed those cloudy whies biers give me the sneezies and a headache. I haven't drunk cider since the eighties so cant say.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Wine. Forgot about that.

Yup, don't know much about wine, but I understand sulphites are potentially pretty high in some cases, especially with reds. The lab at work uses ion chromatography to test for them, which isn't exactly a quick and dirty test for a night out.

Some online suppliers may provide go/no go assay kits based on metal ion complexes or enzymatic indicators. Wouldn't trust them much myself unless from a reputable source.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really interesting. Sounds like no cheap easy test then.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:34 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I notice some wines give me a headache the next day even if I just have one glass. Ive noticed those cloudy whies biers give me the sneezies and a headache. I haven't drunk cider since the eighties so cant say.

Plenty of crap can go into wines so who knows. Maybe it's the tannins.

FYI I was referencing the lmgtfy link unless you think google being spammed with threads telling people to search google only to be redirected to those very threads after actually searching google is a good thing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Red wines - Stacked with Tannins (same shit they soak hides in to preserve and make leather) Can produce headaches.

White beers have wheat flour so maybe you are gluten incontinent. 🤣

I haven't googled sulphites to learn what side effects they have. Most likely effect would be sulphuric acid. Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Sounds like no cheap easy test then.

So, can I refer you back to my apparently 'redundant' and only-slightly-facetious post #2 then?

One of the top hits when I googled "Is there a way to test booze for sulphite content levels?" was this one, which provided an answer "sulphite test strips". Googling that swiftly generates an Amazon seller who will flog you a 50-pack for £19.49.

Or am I missing something?

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:19 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue, unfortunately you can't even stick with one brand as it seems to vary from bottle to bottle.

*good* Vodka (reyka) has been the answer to my problems.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

So, can I refer you back to my apparently 'redundant' and only-slightly-facetious post #2 then?

One of the top hits when I googled "Is there a way to test booze for sulphite content levels?" was this one, which provided an answer "sulphite test strips". Googling that swiftly generates an Amazon seller who will flog you a 50-pack for £19.49.

He's Scottish isn't he? £19.49 isn't cheap for him Razz

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Googling that swiftly generates an Amazon seller who will flog you a 50-pack for £19.49.

You googled twice had to read a shitty article on wired then found an amazon product for £20 with no details or reviews with a low res picture.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneezes are possibly due to the level of histamine, particularly in red wine. I can't drink the stuff any more because it gives me hayfever symptoms, which is quite common apparently...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Thanks Smile

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Sneezes are possibly due to the level of histamine, particularly in red wine. I can't drink the stuff any more because it gives me hayfever symptoms, which is quite common apparently...

I sometimes take antihistamines before I go out for drinks so i don't end up sneezing all over the place. It was the headaches that made me suspect sulphites thougb.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not drink sometime that doesn't give you a headache?

Wine is pretentious

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just not drink?

Radical concept I know, but you are still allowed out in public and your body will thank you Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Why not just not drink?

Radical concept I know, but you are still allowed out in public and your body will thank you Laughing

I hardly do these days. In fact since the new year I only have a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night. This is opposed to several bottles a week and beers and wine at the weekend before. I'll now spend £15 or £20 on a bottle of wine to share with my girlfriend at the weekend rather than the same or more money on cheap plonk in greater quantities. Thing is I bought a very nice Rioja from Sainsbury's that was £18 but got a stinking headache. So that's what made me wonder about the whole sulphite thing.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:22 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:
Why not just not drink?

I hardly do these days. In fact since the new year I only have a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night. This is opposed to several bottles a week and beers and wine at the weekend before. I'll now spend £15 or £20 on a bottle of wine to share with my girlfriend at the weekend rather than the same or more money on cheap plonk in greater quantities. Thing is I bought a very nice Rioja from Sainsbury's that was £18 but got a stinking headache. So that's what made me wonder about the whole sulphite thing.

Try taking an antihistamine just before you start drinking, it helps for me. I'm the same, don't really drink much anymore, but sometimes it's nice to have a glass for whatever reason

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Ah, Wine. Forgot about that.

Yup, don't know much about wine, but I understand sulphites are potentially pretty high in some cases, especially with reds. The lab at work uses ion chromatography to test for them, which isn't exactly a quick and dirty test for a night out.

Pshaw, a full column, end to end shouldn't take more than an hour unless you are a)incompetant, b)lazy or c) running it with a hand bellows because the seperations are shit.

In fact, a moment of looking claims it's doable in 15 minutes (including characterisation)!. Admittedly, running one on every drink before downing may slow things down somewhat Razz

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Thing is I bought a very nice Rioja from Sainsbury's that was £18 but got a stinking headache. So that's what made me wonder about the whole sulphite thing.

Most wines sold have sulphites, even fine wines. I don't think sulphites are the problem. I've gotten bad headaches from a glass or two, up to the point of completely debilitating hangovers from no more than 5 or so glasses of cheap wine. But then I can have four or more glasses of fine wine and not suffer at all.

Good wine is really hard to find in supermarkets. It might taste OK (particularly when you've started on it, and have nothing to compare it to so your taste isn't calibrated), but both my GF and I agree that the real tell is how you feel the next day, or sometimes just an hour or two. The only things I've had that are acceptable from a supermarket were from Waitrose Cellar and from Morrison's Fine Wine selection that they started a year or so ago.

I love good wine, but I don't drink it very often because good wine is expensive. Perhaps 4 bottles a month, more often on holiday or around celebrations. I use wine tastings at wine shops, and wine pairings at restaurants to figure out what wine to buy. Some restaurants have excellent wine buyers and you learn to trust their entire menu; others focus on the taste of pairings, and the wine is only average unless you're having specific food with it.

I spend between £45 and £120 per bottle at a restaurant (average around £70), and average about £50 per bottle retail. It's a real crapshoot buying unknown wine at a restaurant because they're such a big markup item and if the restaurant doesn't have a good buyer, it'll be overpriced and mediocre. But I won't hesitate spending over £100 on a bottle (restaurant or retail) if I know it's good, i.e. I've tasted it before.

I've never had a bad hangover from French fine wine. I define a bad hangover proportional to how much I've drunk: any headache from two glasses or fewer is bad, or any nausea from 6 glasses or fewer. I would not drink more than 6 full glasses (a bottle and a half of wine) - I usually try and keep it to three, two from the main bottle and one starter or dessert.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:01 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Most wines sold have sulphites, even fine wines. I don't think sulphites are the problem. I've gotten bad headaches from a glass or two, up to the point of completely debilitating hangovers from no more than 5 or so glasses of cheap wine. But then I can have four or more glasses of fine wine and not suffer at all.

I've never had a bad hangover from French fine wine. I define a bad hangover proportional to how much I've drunk: any headache from two glasses or fewer is bad, or any nausea from 6 glasses or fewer. I would not drink more than 6 full glasses (a bottle and a half of wine) - I usually try and keep it to three, two from the main bottle and one starter or dessert.

Interesting. This flies in the face of most of my own findings, and recieved wisdom within the brewing industry at least. Now my opinion is no more statistically valid than yours but, my experience is generally complexity in a beverage = hangover.

Complexity/ character is generally caused by higher alcohols, phenols,esters and tannins (in wine at least) all of which are harder and slower to metabolise than ethanol. Therefore, these things provide shorter onset, lingering and powerful hangovers. Fom this perspective, fine red wine is about the worst possible thing to drink. All the character that people enjoy is going to lead directly to next morning misery. I've generally found this myself; light lagers tend to lead to less hangover than ales/stouts, even at similar abvs. Ditto for spirits, 'clean' spirits such as gin or vodka give me much less trouble than whisky or rum if drunk in similar quantities.

As for wine, I've no head for it. I've drunk some extremely good wine in a very irresponsible fashion (my father loves the stuff, I had a house key and teenage me was a complete c**t), and some truly terrible wines at uni, all of it gives me a stinking hangover.

Seems to me that the this is one of those situtations where correlation//causation. You drink fine wines slowly, often with water, with food and in times when your general mental state is positive, hence less hangover.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Interesting. This flies in the face of most of my own findings, and recieved wisdom within the brewing industry at least. Now my opinion is no more statistically valid than yours but, my experience is generally complexity in a beverage = hangover.

My worst hangovers have come from mixing different drinks, sometimes but not always including cheap restaurant wine.

Quote:
Complexity/ character is generally caused by higher alcohols, phenols,esters and tannins (in wine at least) all of which are harder and slower to metabolise than ethanol. Therefore, these things provide shorter onset, lingering and powerful hangovers.

If I did get a bad headache from a couple of glasses of fine wine, this would be a wonderful explanation - but I don't! In fact, just the other day, I had about half a glass of a cheap Gewurztraminer (normally excellent with cheeses) that we bought as a starter / warmup to a Cote-Rotie red for a raclette evening with friends, but ended up not drinking and opened it up to have with pizza. Started getting a mild headache barely a couple of hours after drinking! I can't accuse added sugar, because then surely my usual pizza-accompaniment of Coke would be worse?

Quote:
Fom this perspective, fine red wine is about the worst possible thing to drink.

I'd go further - this explanation would probably put vintage or 40+ tawny ports, madeira etc. in the worst category, but I'm a big fan of fortified wines and have made no association with bad times from them at all.

Quote:
You drink fine wines slowly, often with water, with food and in times when your general mental state is positive, hence less hangover.

Oh indeed, I don't drink wine to get drunk. Some wines need food otherwise they're lopsided - they're made to complement something - but others are simply too good, it's hard to find food that they wouldn't outclass. I bought 6 half-bottles of 2012 Domaine Jamet Cote-Rotie (igniting a passion for Cote-Rotie) after having gotten a sip from a table-neighbour in Paris - it's almost impossible to pair with food because it's too dominant. Every sip is so bursting with flavour, yet so balanced, it's a treat just to have on its own. The chaps in Paris were sharing a half-bottle between two after dinner, as a dessert. Having that on its own hasn't lead to trouble either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2