PostPosted: 18:31 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only siblings & parents.

Everyone else can fuck right off.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Wait until he turns 2 Whistle

already got the tantrums... I'm pretty good at just letting it happen in the background... he doesn't possess reason, so no point trying to fight it

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:23 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any contact with my side for about 30 years but my wife's family are fantastic so who needs any one else

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Don't have any issues with any of my family, they never speak to me Smile Thumbs Up

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get on well with my parents and siblings, have a half decent relationship with my godparents - no-one else makes an effort with me so why should i return the favour. relationships are a 2 way street and ive been stood half way down for a long while before i walked back to my end.

then again my parents and maternal grand mother have been locked in a battle with the rest of the maternal side aunts and uncles for donkeys years.... so hardly surpising!
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly training them to be less odious.

I have to spend a week with my parents this week coming. Can't wait :/

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:29 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only family I have left on my side is my sister and parents. Never had a large extended family growing up - it'd be more accurate to refer to it as a truncated family, in complete honesty. Was something of a culture shock when I found out that my wife's extended family numbers in the region of ~200 at last count.

I get on fine with my parents and sister, and my wife's immediate family are generally pretty sound - there's a couple of exceptions, but meh. Can't like everyone.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry's mum is very cool.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two members and one died 10 years ago on the 25th November at 4am.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend S01E05 of Bojack Horseman, as this website on narcissism rightly applauds (here), for actually daring to show a family that is a negative impact.

My slight thread hijack could be:

Why do so many couples, married or longterm, seem to exist in a stable state of disdain, abuse or nastiness? See it so often when staying with people, I'd say 50% seem to be praying the other either dies (so they can escape), would avoid them completely or would come summit to crap 24/7.

What life is that? Confused

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the driving factor is:

1. They don't want to give up the comfort they have managed to acquire; or

2, What if they end up really skint and have to live in *gasp* social housing?

Many people are terrified of ending up losing "everything they own", even if they claim not to be materialistic. The thought of having NOTHING (even if you still have a good job) is terrifying.

But once you've been there ... it's not so bad. You soon accumulate things, even if it is only one plastic bag at a time Laughing

When I lost literally everything, I started again with a couple of books and an incense burner. Twelve years later, I'm back to my original state of disarray.

I reckon a lot of people get too comfortable, and then just don't want that lifestyle to change, so they just put up with [whoever] and find other ways of entertaining themselves.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I think the driving factor is:

1. They don't want to give up the comfort they have managed to acquire; or

2, What if they end up really skint and have to live in *gasp* social housing?

Many people are terrified of ending up losing "everything they own", even if they claim not to be materialistic. The thought of having NOTHING (even if you still have a good job) is terrifying.

But once you've been there ... it's not so bad. You soon accumulate things, even if it is only one plastic bag at a time Laughing

When I lost literally everything, I started again with a couple of books and an incense burner. Twelve years later, I'm back to my original state of disarray.

I reckon a lot of people get too comfortable, and then just don't want that lifestyle to change, so they just put up with [whoever] and find other ways of entertaining themselves.

I would suggest that there is a lot of people are also terrified of loneliness, so would rather put up with what they know, than risk regretting it and being lonley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose there's that, too.

I do get quite lonely even in a loving relationship such as I have, but that's cos I've distanced people to "protect" myself from the risk of emotional damage, and despite many offers of going-out, meeting-up, etc, I have mostly ignored them at my own peril, and ended up being Jenny No-Mates, whereas my fella has too much work/not enough time, and a million people wanting to be his friend (or kill him, one or the other, never sure which is going on at any one point in time Laughing ) most of which keeps him out of the house for 80% of our life together.

So I am learning, somewhat late in life, to accept an extended hand of friendship, so I don't become the mad cat lady of Old London Town.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But once you've been there ... it's not so bad.

Been there, twice. Now I'm a home owner. Funny old world. Laughing

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother died years ago loved her to bits
Dad pissed off when I was 14 only started speaking to him in the last 3 years or so (in 53 now)
but he is why I'm into bikes he always had bikes and I helped work on them

Brother moved away when he was 16, off / on spoke up till 3 years ago then we fell out and havn't spoken since

sister stays 500 yards from me until recently I avoided her as we are chalk & cheese
her and my Brother havn't spoken since my mun died

brother and dad did speak for a bit but didn't last long
Sister doesn't talk to dad at all and had had no contact since he buggered off

so pretty disjointed family Rolling Eyes

you can choose your friends but not your family Laughing

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see or speak to a single member of my family, and haven't done for the last 5 years or so.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not spoken to my mother, brother or sisters since my grandmother died in '09, and I found out the whore had been emptying her bank account for a couple of years previously, whilst she was suffering from cancer.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I consent to being talked to like a twat, or talked at for hours about golf/cats/how awesome my father thinks he is, then yes. Really well.

Enough trying for now Thumbs Up It's not me, it's you.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
If I consent to being talked to like a twat, or talked at for hours about golf/cats/how awesome my father thinks he is, then yes. Really well.
Enough trying for now Thumbs Up It's not me, it's you.

You'll probably never be able to change that. In fact it will probably get worse (i.e., more annoying).

What happens is that they only have that version of "you" as a point of reference, because you have not been in their lives on a regular basis, so they will not see how you've developed as an adult.

When you move away, its as though you're like an insect stuck in tree sap for eternity, and they only see that aspect of you.

And (of course) they will NEVER accept your name change.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

So I am learning, somewhat late in life, to accept an extended hand of friendship, so I don't become the mad cat lady of Old London Town.
Wub

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

And (of course) they will NEVER accept your name change.

To be fair they've been pretty good about that.

Meh, they're a long way away now, I let them back to elbow length and they proved nothing substantial has changed…

Occassional phone calls to mum and grandma it is. Simples Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall
My mother
Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:24 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
My mother

On the plus side, they do tend to die before you.

if it happens the other way round, well, you're not around to know about it...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2