Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB125 TD-C carb issues. I've run out of ideas.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

threeeyedjoke...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Honda CB125 TD-C carb issues. I've run out of ideas. Reply with quote

Help! I have a Honda CB125TD-C and am having what I think are carb issues that I can’t solve.

First the bike
The bike is a 1983 Honda CB125 TD-C (a Superdream). It’s been café racer’ed, so looks a beaut. Striped right back, sand blasted and freshly painted, new seat, low handle bars – you get the picture.

It has
    2 x Keihlin PD64A carbs (slide)
    A new petrol tank of a different, bigger bike (not relevant to the situation, but I thought I’d mention it just in case)
    No air box. That’s gone. Replaced with 2 x 50mm pod filters - new.

It sat for over a year, and then I bought it.

So first off I had to clean out the petrol tank as it was rusty inside (as a result of doing that I lost the petcock union nut, which after 2 hours of dangling myself head first down a drain sifting through slurry trying to find it again, I had to purchase a new one from the US on ebay. Anyway….). Next job was to clean out the carburettor – and it was pretty dirty in there. I’ve also fitted new spark plugs and new pod filters.

I then cleaned the carb again to double check.

I have checked that the throttle slide needle clip is not in the middle of the 5 grooves, but one down from the top.

I know the flex link on the choke mechanism between the 2 carbs is a crap design, so I’m making sure by hand that its closed.

Now the problems

I have three issues that I can not solve. I don’t know if they are related or not.

1. The spark plugs get blackened up very quickly – like 2 minutes of idling. I have tried everything I can think of to lean up the mixture. I have played with the air/fuel screw on both carbs. Even when they are FULLY screwed in it’s still blackening up. I’ve checked the seals in and out of the carb (on the boots) and there’s no leak.

2. Next, the bike has erratic rev’s. When idling it moves from 1,000 to 1,500 without me touching anything. It sometimes misfires, and does a spitting sound (might be because of the blacked up spark plugs). If I take the rev’s up to 5,000 or more for a little while, then let the throttle go, the revs come down but sometimes stop around 3,000 – before dropping back down again after 5-10 seconds. The throttle itself has definitely dropped back down at this point on the handle level.

3. One cylinder gets a lot hotter an lot quicker than the other – the left hand one as you sit on the bike is the hotter one.

The bike has the super unleaded/ 98 unleaded fuel in at the moment – I don’t think that would be the cause, but, again, I mention it just in case.

I’d really appreciate any ideas or suggestions as I am running out of my own ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being over 30 years young i would check the valve clearances and then a compression check.
Then i would check that the chokes are closing and make sure the fuel levels do not vary with faulty shut off needle valves.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:39 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the air box back on.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the carbs properly (with an ultrasonic bath), then be prepared for lots of fiddling to get it run without an airbox.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:45 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

balance the carbs , clean the air filter , set the idle mixture screws to about 1.5 turns out

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:48 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
balance the carbs , clean the air filter , set the idle mixture screws to about 1.5 turns out

For a bike running pods? Sure ting fam?

Would put the airbox back on, set everything back to stock and be prepared to replace all rubber components in the carbs Thumbs Up

Also, spray your inlets with WD40 or can of aerosol (the bits between carb and engine) and see if the revs rise. If they do, got air leaks there. Rubber at this sort of age is going to be nice and brittle, probably cracked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:36 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about typical.
A cosmetc make-over, some notions of cafe-sxrambler type stuff going on, and "Oooh! It dont run right... lets blame carbs...."

1/ These motors are not particularly carb sensitive; they dont like pod filters much, but meh! They run pretty hapily without air-box or filter, and pods do a lot to strangle them, nipping flow at the mouth... but even with a pair of the smaller PD24's, with a pair of moped sized pots to feed, they aren't restricted much if at all carb-side.

2/ You will never set up a good carb on a crap motor. Believe me I have wasted far to much time trying, and have tried just about all perms of small honda carbs, singles and twins, and muggered about with the jets and needles, carb-cleans and overhaul kits to now not bother.

These old engines have tiny pots, they don't show obvious bore or ring wear on tear down, they show it by refusing to run right.. on such a small over-square motor, they do not make much manifold vacuum, they like sharp rings and good bore to get any decent 'suck' at the carb...

Constantly fouling plug, to ME suggests the thing is burning oil, probably not a lot past the rings, probably past well perished stem-seals...

As matter of course, 'now', I cut to the chase; I pull the motor and tear-down. A Chinese barrel kit, with new rings and gaskets is chaper than a rebore, at last look aprox £120. Head comes off and gets stipped; valves get lapped in, and new stem seals fitted. Then it goes back together on the Chnky barel, attension payed to the cam and cam bearings, rockers and state of the likely chewed up tappets. Cam gets critically timed in on rebuld, and hint the Chinky replacements are crap... cap bearings are worth the swap though. A-N-D the top-tip, IF the cam-chain loops onto the sprocket easily, and you dont have trouble timing it in... then the cam-chains likely fcuked!

That work done, motor back 'in', the exhaust is the first thing to look at before carbs; few OE pipes will have survved by now, I certanly haven't found any! After market Micron is pretty tough, but the Motad I think better, but I have yet to find any system that hasn't got dings in the down-pipes at kerb-height and few that have avoided pin-holing at the lower end of the header, usually on the outside of the bend.

Again; you are on a fools errand trying to set up a shit-motor on a questionable exhaust, even a decent moto with a crappy pipe... so make sure the pipe is good, and you dont either have two or three crush washers squashed into the port-flange, or no washer at all, omitted by some numpty believing it the mystical 'restrctor'....

Replacing the exhaust studs whilst the head is loose is also a good precaution, and wonderful ad to actually gettng the exhaust to seat, and seal!! But nspect closely whilst 'off'.. not unknown for heads to be butchered by folk with errant hack-and-wrecker drill trying to drill out old ones.. also not unknown to find any odd assortment of M6 olt used in substitution, or for the exhaut ports to be botchred with imperial roofbolts or the like used as self tappers in the alloy, or for M8's to have been forced into stripped holes, and flanges to have been drilled to take them!

With good head, barel, and 'zorst, set the carb up to the book, and away you go.....

Beware carbs overhauled with chinky overhaul kits; they often have the wrong sized jets in them, some marked with mikuni sizing rather tha Keihin, which ca cause some consternation, but most are CG derived and contain the wrong float valce needle, slide needle and wrong sized jets!!! Pilot air-screw however IS useful, especially as the very fine needle on the end is want to sieze in the carb-body and shear when you try adjust.... Remove check and when cleaning check carefully that you do HAVE a fine needle on the end of the air-screw.. A-N-D there's no 'old' sheared needle end left in the carb body!

It's all pretty easy to do, just takes time and a bit of wallet gulping to man up the cash for the barrel kit. and gonad appraisal to get the motor out and venture into the oil-covered bowels B-U-T one over that mental hurdle, its a hell of a lot more likely to actually 'work; and work well, and long-term be less work, hassle and cash, than faffing around with the bits outside the motor hoping that some-how problems will 'adjust' out.

Your call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance the carbs first. Maybe just do it by eye, to get them close-ish.

So that's carbs out, hold them up to the light and look through the butterflies so you can see little rim of light through each one. You want them to both be open the same amount.

If they are really out of balance, then one butterfly is closed whilst the other is open. This makes the bike behave like it has an air leak, which is why the revs are taking so long to get back to idle.

Don't worry about the state of the plugs now. The mixture can be very rich at idle, and I'm assuming this bike has spent most of its time at idle recently.

Do put the mixture screws back to where they should be - or even an extra half turn open. Mixture screws only affect the mixture at idle and really tiny throttle openings. Everything else is controlled by the jets and needles.

Worth making sure the float height is correct.

So in short, clean them properly - if you haven't had the mixture screws and needle valve filters out while cleaning, they'll be full of shit. Then reset to factory settings, including balance.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:43 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the float heights, I'd really REALLY recommend making sure the rubber on the bowl is still soft, they tend to get dry and flatten out, they then stop sealing well Sad

threeeyedjoke...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:35 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - that's a great list of things to do.

Here's what I'm going to do:
    Check the carb balance - at least by eye
    Check the float heights
    Check valve clearances
    Do a compression test

However, I reckon Teflon-Mike's going to be right, and so I'll 'pull the motor and tear down'. I bought the bike to learn how it all works, so why not. So Mike - I have a few questions. What you've said is no doubt right, but some of it doesn't mean much to me, as I'm the thick boy at the back of the class.

1. Is this the Chinese barrel kit? https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_125_tdc_tde_superdream/82-87/picture/barrel_and_piston_-_assembly/

2. What do you mean by a) Head comes off and gets stipped; and b) valves get lapped in?

3. Which part of the Chinese kit is dodgy and you think I shouldn't put in?

I suspect I'll be back once I've done that and start to look at the exhaust!

Thanks again.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:51 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby - CB125's use old fashioned slide carbs, not CV's; the only butterfly is the choke, not the throttle control. They are also individually mounted, and linked only by the flex-link twixt the choke butterfly's and the Siamese cable that lifts the slides.

Paddy.... the float needles in the old PD's are a bit flakey, they have a habit of sticking in the rebate; they do have a habit of flooding, but usual symptom is they pee out of the vent hole in the actual carb-body, just behind the choke cable bracket. Actually quite common to have peeing carbs on first start or after even a short lay-up when the float needles 'stick'... sometimes they'll stop if you give them a tap with a screwdriver handle, but most often not; but give one a good thrashing and drain the float bowl and make the needle go up and down in full travel a couple of times twixt bends, and they'll usually sort themselves out!

I have never really had issue with the actual float-bowl gaskets going hard... have had issue with flakey tolerance Chinky replacements though, which have been worse than rather nibbled originals! And a cornflake-packet gasket, can see the rubber seal binned... just means you need replace the CFP Gasket if you drop the float bowl....

threeeyedjoker wrote:
Check the carb balance - at least by eye

See above to Robby.... they are Slide carbs not CV's, and its the last thing you do, not the first.... so rather wasted operation till all else bottomed and sorted...

Haynes wrote:
Carburettor Synchronisation consists of ensuring that the throttle slides are at exactly the same height at idle speed. that both lift at exactly the same time when the throttle twist grip is rotated and that both are at the same height at any given engine speed. It is necessary to check this to ensure that both cylinders pull together and not against one another.

Before carrying out syncronisation, check that the contact breaker gaps, ignition timing, tappet clerances, carburettor float bowl levels, jet sizes, pilot jets, pilot mixture screw settings are all correct. also that the air filter elements are clean, that the exhausts are in sound condition, that the spark plugs are correctly gapped and working properly, and that throttle cable is correctly routes=d with no kinks or sharp bends and is properly lubricated and working smoothly.

This is because one cannot expect to gain the full benefit of carburettor syncronisation if some faulty or maladjusted component is upsetting the remainder of the engine induction and exhaust system, or the throttle cable is so badly damaged or worn that it cannot lift the slides at the same time regardless of the settings in use

Taken from my Photo-How2 on the task, in which, like all my Photo-How2's, there's no photo's thanks to BotoPhucket changing T&C's.. sorry, we are encountering technical difficulties, normal service may return, not-so-shortly!

threeeyedjoker wrote:
Check the float heights

They are plastic and pre-set, and have no bendable tang to let you change the float height if wrong... so, what would you do to change it?

If it's flooding, as alluded more likely due to the float valve sticking. to wich the best solution is a dang good trashing, not stripping the dang carbs!

threeeyedjoker wrote:
Check valve clearances

Useful, but a bit late for that now... and incorrect valve clerances wouldn't cause the motor to soot the plugs; that is ether burning oil thats getting down the guides past the valve-stem seals, or pastthe rings that are shot and or in worn bores, or ts grossely over-fuling lke the chokes stucks on.

threeeyedjoker wrote:
Do a compression test

Good diagnostic practce, if you do it correctly. Trouble with these motors is that they have tiny cylinders, and big spark-plugs. Readings can be hugely innacurate due to the fact that to do a CR test you have to remove the spark-plug, and the volume of the plug hole is as much or more than the volume of the combustion chamber, depending on which sort of compression-tester or adapter you use!

threeeyedjoker wrote:
1. Is this the Chinese barrel kit?

Looks about right... doesn't say it includes the valve stem seals, carb gaskets or anything else you may need though, so add exhaust gaskets and stem seals to the piece part list...

threeeyedjoker wrote:
2. What do you mean by a) Head comes off and gets stipped; and b) valves get lapped in?

I would direct you to the handy Photo-How2... currently without photo's, thanks to boto-phucket's T&C changes! But rather pointless without pictures! Get the Haynes manual.

The head needs to come off the engine to replace the barel and pistons. While its off, you use a valve-spring compressor to release the actual valves, then you 'should' regrind both the rim of the valve and the rim of the 'seat' they seal against to get good flat sealing surfaces.... only these motor's valves are tiny, and the holes are too small to get a seat stone in on, and bugger all metal on the valve to regrind; so if really 'bad' you should replace the whole head ad fit new valves... 'b-u-t'.... you can usually clean them up enough to get a good seal by the old reconditioning practice of lapping which is normally just a light final 'finishing' process rather than re-making process, using abrasive past between the valve head and the valve seat and lots of twisting to rub them together and polish the two surfaces flat against each other, to get them flat and smooth and mating to each other well for a good seal.... with such diddy valves it can take a fair bit of twzzling, but isn't so onerouse, just time consuming.. mostly re-sticking the lapping stick to the valve head as the suckers bigger than the valve!

threeeyedjoker wrote:
3. Which part of the Chinese kit is dodgy and you think I shouldn't put in?

Of the carb overhaul kits? err... most of it! The float needles are usually completely wrong and have a stirrup to fit a totally different float. The main jets are the wrong size; the primary jets are the wrong size; the slide needle is the wrong taper. The useful bits are the primary air screw/needle.. which on cost comparison, probably justify chucking away the rest of the kit! The prmary air needle seals usually fit... just make sure old ones aren't stuck in the carb body! Float bowl gaskets I mentioned to Paddy.. they 'may' fit the float bowl well enough and seal, but some do have enough tolerance trouble they will pinch and buckle out of thier rebate and MAKE the jont leak, rather than seal... see CFP gasket trick! Slide needle circlips are usually useful... cant think of much else in many of them that's good for much, though!

Many of the individual Keihin piece parts are either ow No-Longer-Available, and or extortionate prices, if/when you find them. Hence the Chink overhaul kits are a useful source of the pilot-air screw/needle and seals; main and pilot jets f needed may be obtained ndvidually by jet size, IF you are sure to make sure you are ordering to the Keihin sizing system, not the Mikuni.. which many suppler don't specify.. float-bowl gaskets can be worked around as said with a corn-flake-packet. float-needle is the main bug-bear on these.. the neoprene cone that effects seal on the tip can get a bit flakey.. but as mentioned, associated issue of the float needle sticking n the carb-body is probably as much of a concern, and a new carb-body may be needed to fix that, if partcularly bad, and that's really a new carb job... or at least finding a better second hand one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:59 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

threeeyedjoker wrote:
However, I reckon Teflon-Mike's going to be right, and so I'll 'pull the motor and tear down'.

I'll let you into a little secret. Ignore Mike. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:56 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

threeeyedjoker wrote:
However, I reckon Teflon-Mike's going to be right

A lot of us make that mistake. Experience is a great teacher though.

threeeyedjoke...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Ok - I've got the motor off Reply with quote

Before I get stuck in properly, a couple of questions:

Before I refit the new barrel, do I need to hone it? If so, I don't have a honing tool so should I a) shut up and stump up the cash for one, b) take it to a Honda mechanic and ask them to do it, or c) home make one out of sandpaper and a drill?

In one of Teflon Mike's replies, he said "the head comes off and gets stipped". What does that mean?! Or is it a typo for stripped?

Assuming it all goes well (gulp), I'm left with sorting the carbs and exhaust. I'll be back with more questions no doubt at that stage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:13 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB125TDC carburetted perfectly on a straight through pipe and pod filter when I fitted just one of the original carbs on factory jetting using a CM125 2-1 inlet manifold.

It went faster too because it was perfectly balanced.

Just saying...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:53 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Ok - I've got the motor off Reply with quote

threeeyedjoker wrote:
Before I refit the new barrel, do I need to hone it?

Honing is a 'finishing' operation. Should be done after boring, to get final size and remove machine marks and leave across-hatch pattern that oil can sort of stick too.

DIY honing, is a bit of a hang-over from days of yore, when old engine old could leave a 'glaze' on the cylinder bore that didn't hold oil; DIY honing tools we often called a 'Glaze breaker' not a hone, and that's really all they did, clean the cylinder wall of old oil deposits; though many did use them as a get-me-by to a popper re-bore.

If you have bought a brand new barrel, it shouldn't be needed, it should have been finished properly by the factory. If you have a barrel re-bored by machine shop, likel wise.

threeeyedjoker wrote:
In one of Teflon Mike's replies, he said "the head comes off and gets stipped". What does that mean?! Or is it a typo for stripped?

If that's the only typo you found you are doing well, given my bunch of banana fists of little keys!

threeeyedjoke...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Knee deep in replacing the barrel & pistons - help Reply with quote

Hi. I've got the barrel off, and have a few queries:

1. There's 3 hollow dowels that are stuck, two in the barrel that I am replacing. Any tips on how to get them out without damaging them?

2. The pistons are really blacked up - is that normal, or does that mean replacing the barrel and pistons is the right thing to be doing?

3. The Haynes manual says to catch the pistons as you remove the barrel, with the pistons at TDC. But to be at TDC, one piston is up and the other down. Am I being stupid?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Shocked

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:49 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Knee deep in replacing the barrel & pistons - help Reply with quote

threeeyedjoker wrote:
1. There's 3 hollow dowels that are stuck, two in the barrel that I am replacing. Any tips on how to get them out without damaging them?

Gently!
Check your new barel; I have a feeling that there's only actually two doweled holes, or that two of them aren't rebated/counter-bored for rubber seals... check DSS for price of new ones.. may not be worth fretting about.
Otherwise, the barrel & head are aluminium, the dowels steel. Aluminium expands more under heat than steel.. try popping the barrel in the over on gas mark four, for approximately forty five minutes, remove & carve whilst hot and serve with mint sauce.....
Err... Have I got the books ixed up some-whereon the kitchen side there? Wink
threeeyedjoker wrote:
2. The pistons are really blacked up - is that normal, or does that mean replacing the barrel and pistons is the right thing to be doing?

Probably.... more critical than the coke on the picton tops is the state of the rings, but either way; new barel new piston, new rings.. its ot an issue.
Query is if the slugs that sooted, where did soot come from? It bee burning oil; so bores/rings must be bad, but just as likely, and for it to have actually 'run' it's likely that the valve guides stemseals are shot... make sure you get ew stem seals at very least; pull valves and replace.
threeeyedjoker wrote:
3. The Haynes manual says to catch the pistons as you remove the barrel, with the pistons at TDC. But to be at TDC, one piston is up and the other down. Am I being stupid?

You ought a CB125TD-C... is any more answer required to that proposition? Smile
As you lift the barel, the pistons will tend to try and lift with it... on a 360 motor that would pull both slugs to TDC... on a 180 motor, it will pull the stickiest slug ad let the other drop....
Actually means you dont need so many extra hands....
Get ready to 'catch' the lower piston as you lift the barel off, then the other as you lift it all the way off.
threeeyedjoker wrote:
Thanks for any advice you can give

Time, Patience and Alcohol.. apply liberally....
Remember to lube up all the new bits as you re-assemble with plenty ight oil.. I preffer two-stroke, it burns off more readily, but vegetable oil or old engine oil will do; use LM grease NOT coppa-slip on thigs like the gudgeaon pin and cam bearings, so it stays put until motor's run up and oil-pump's pumping stuff round... and do early oil-change when motor up and running.

threeeyedjoke...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:12 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: CB125TDC - got is all back together again, but... Reply with quote

I've got the engine back together, and on the bike. When I first started it, it started quite easily and ran for about 30 seconds, badly, but the engine ticked over. I noticed only one exhaust getting hot though.

And now it won't go any more.

The carbs are clean. There's a good spark. Petrol is coming out of the bottom of the carb freely if I unscrew the drain. The pod filters are new.

Help! What should I do? It's bleedin frustrating after the blood sweat and tears of replacing the barrel and pistons for the engine to not start now. Arrrrrrggggh.

Shocked

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:05 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, don't panic!

Next Very vert normal for these little things to start up on just one cylinder, and for only one exhaust to get hot at first.
- Check you do have sparks on both cylinders.
- Smell the plug on the cold header pot's plug.. is it wet/smell petrol?

It's an e-start only engine; and it uses a 'magneto' style ignition; the electric for the sparks, doesn't come from the battery, but direct from the generator, so motor has to spin over pretty well to get a decent spark. If the battery is weak, and or the starter-motor is lazy, then crank may not spin quickly enough to give a good spark.

You will likely see sparks when you take them out to test, but electric can jump the gap pretty easily in 'free' air; under compression in the cylinder, the piston is squashing 62cc of air into a 6cc combustion chamber, so you have 10x the amount of air molecules between the spark-plug electrodes for the electric to try and jump through, and it has a slightly harder time.

Ie you will often 'see' sparks when you take plugs out to check, but it's not guaranteed you'll still have them when you put plug back in.

Next up; on first fire fault finding... you will likely drain the battery pretty hard on cranking, so when it conks and you try re-start, it lacks the 'oomph' to do so.

Tip: I tend to use a boost-box or car battery for first-fire and fault-finding; a) to save 'killing' little bike battery on repetitive re-starts b) to save having to keep recharging it between start-up attenpts

On first fire... if you followed advice for first-fire lube, and used two-stroke oil to lube bores ad rings and things, it is very likely that the plugs will soot up burning that off.

Also likely, that if it hasn't 'caught' properly, that the motor is flooding, due to the amount of juice sucked through during start attempts, and or, the prev mentioned sticky floats, and or the choke being on, and or, the choke not properly going 'off' and or the flex-link twixt choke flaps being generally buggeratiouse!

1/ Check the choke link
2/ Pull plugs, burn them off with a blow-torch or heat gun, five minutes n the oven or laid on the gas-ring, to make sure they are 'dry' before leaning the electrodes again, and popping back in the pots.
3/ Make sure battery well charged / use car battery on jumpers for fault-finding starts.
4/ start from scratch... no-choke (and probably no pod-filters) for start up fault-finding.. when it catches, don't be over eager, give it a chance to warm and settle onto both pots.. when it dies.. don't get frustrated.. be patient! Be methodical, work back through the process.

There's a lot of variables from how much choke it needs/is used, how much throttle, which changes as it warms; and those float needles are sticky, you may have to tap the float bowls to get them to play ball, until the motor is bedded in a bit, and the floats have, from going up and down full travel a few times, from on-load thrashing cleared their track and aren't so want to 'stick' at top or bottom and cause flood or famine.

Patience and perseverance is the key
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1